Ergo -vs- Mai Tai - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-12-2005, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help!
I used a kangaroo pouch in the beginning & we have a kelty for longer hikes.
I am looking for a new method for carting around our 22 pounder now.
I was pretty sold on the Ergo till I saw how blindingly cute the fabrics are through Babyhawk! :
Random thoughts/questions...

are the straps that more padded on the ergo?
will I really use that headrest thingy?
can I live with a plain ol' solid carrier now that I know I can have stripes/florals/batiks???

Any & all help will be greatly appreciated!
#2 of 10 Old 11-15-2005, 12:47 PM

Well, there are many different kinds of Meitais out there - some very comfy and others not much.

I tried my friend's Ergo the other day and I give you that it was very comfortable. However,I found it not as easy to put on as the Meitais I have tried, did not like the buckles and did not think it was that attractive a carrier. I did not like the head support that much either.

I much prefer my Kozy - easy to put on and VERY comfy. Even my Ergo friend was impressed with it.

Now, you want a BabyHawk - those are great too!!! I am dying to get my hands on one because they are just so pretty!! I tried one once and found it very comfy and nice!! When I buy a BH, I will personlly prefer a Baby Hawk XT because I find tall MeiTais more versatile and will work better for older babies. And what about that minkee option?? Yummy!!!
#3 of 10 Old 11-21-2005, 02:24 AM

I have had a mei tai for two years now and have recently discovered the Ergo and I say go for the Ergo! The mei tai I find starts to slip down and the baby sinks lower and lower down your back with longer use. So you then have to stop and readjust, even retie the Mei Tai. We hike a lot and I often have to heave ho the baby up my back again after hiking for a while. This problem is avoided with the Ergo, because it is constructed.
#4 of 10 Old 11-22-2005, 12:14 PM

There are so many MeiTais out there that it is more helpful to be specific as to which brand one is comparing the Ergo to. For example, the Baby Bjorn is also a constructed carrier, but not at all as comfortable for mom and baby as the Ergo IME. It would then not be fair to say that "constructed carriers are not that good" without specifying which, just because I had a bad experience with a Bjorn...

IME, slippage has nothing to do with the fact the carrier is constructed, but with how grippy the material of the straps is and how you tie the MT. I have personally have had better luck with MTs made with canvas or other similar heavy material because I found them more supportive and that they stay put. Other peole prefer the softeness of twill - so it all comes down to personal preference
#5 of 10 Old 11-26-2005, 10:35 PM

I hate to say it but I find both my ergo and Kozy MT indispensible.

[Admin note: Please expand on and clairify you review by editing your post. Thanks!]

Both are easy to use with practice, and both are comfortable to me on my shoulders and back. I like the Ergo for putting Lulu on my back while I work at home, or for walks from the house. It worked well as a front carrier, too (tho I use the MT for that). The shoulder straps are soft. I think it is simple but not ugly. Its unobtrusive.

Ergo drawbacks: Because I put Lulu in over my head -- I find the ergo is easier to use when you have a couch to sit on. So that rules out using it on shopping trips from the car. I know there are alternative ways to slip them in that are not so gymnastic. The other drawback is you can't do a side carry -- and our 15 month old likes that the best because it gives her the best visuals!

So, I use the Kozy MT when I go out shopping (VERY easy to put on) or walking. I like the Kozy more in winter, too, for outside use, because I can wear her under my coat.

HTH

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#6 of 10 Old 11-27-2005, 11:57 PM

i had the same struggle- wanting one of the beautiful mei-teis i saw online, but really needing to be sure i could use a baby carrier for hours a day. i went with the ergo, largely because both my kids have always been the sleep in carrier types, and am very glad i did. ds really lets his head flop back over the top of the ergo rather than leaning forward against my back when he relaxes into sleep, so the hood is essential to give him the kind of support he needs.
#7 of 10 Old 01-12-2006, 04:55 PM

I love my Mei Tie! Actually, we never use the ergo anymore. They are both nice, but the ergo just isn't pretty
#8 of 10 Old 07-25-2010, 01:17 PM

Although I have another month of pregnancy to go, I went with the Ergo. When I found out I was pregnant, I was working in New York City. A lot of people use the carriers. Strollers are out there too, but after witnessing people negotiating stairs with a stroller, I knew I wanted to go the carrier route. NYC is a town where people are walking everywhere! Parks, Sidewalks, Stairs, Elevators, etc. When I spotted a person on the street in NYC using a carrier, and they looked approachable, I would ask them about the carrier they used. The people with the Ergo carrier seemed to be happiest. Sure, it's not pretty or cute, but it is designed for the long haul. The people I met said that they can carry the baby/toddler everywhere, and all day with no complaints. The one area, where the opinion varied was with the newborn. Some people said they had to wait for the infant to grow into the carrier. For that reason, I purchased a Baby K'tan, which is a stretch wrap to I will use in beginning if the Ergo with the Infant Insert (sold separately) does not fit initially.

Jennifer, first time Mom, working full time, married to Paul. Katherine "Kate" Mary Lou was born 8.10.10.
#9 of 10 Old 07-27-2010, 03:21 PM

Love Love Love my babyhawk mai tai. Best carrier I've ever had. I wish my boy was still little so I could use it. My best friend has it and loves it. The ergo didn't work for her because she is so short (5 feet tall). Definitely get the XT.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#10 of 10 Old 07-28-2010, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Another vote in favor of babyhawk mei tai
I also love love love it! Really.
I have an ergo but we don't use it yet- I think when ds is older we will.
He is only 4 months and about 15 lbs
But the mei tai is so comfy and easy to wear I love it. And beautiful and just nice all around.

Tags
Ergo Baby , Babyhawk Mei Tai Baby Carrier , Soft Structured Carriers , Babywearing , Baby Bjorn

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page