Patapum - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-18-2006, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Product name: Patapum

Brief description of product: Just like Ergo, but cheaper and a little more streamlined design; very comfy

Store/Site of purchase: A distributor

Price: I think 60 or 70 bucks

How long have you used this product? 4 months?

Fit/Sizing: infant size (I think there is a toddler size - I DON'T have the toddler size).

Performance: great

Workmomship: not made by WAHM- probably made in a sweatshop

Customer Service/Communication: bought it through a distributor

Would you purchase this product again? probably, because it is a lot cheaper than the ergo and I didn't like the ergo's insect lining available at the time (you can get it without now) and I liked that it comes in black

Have you made a complaint to the WAHM about the product? If yes, please provide details of any resolution or lack thereof: n/a

Additional Comments:

I wish I had known this and this is why I'm really writing this post: the ergo allows for reconfiguration so that the child can be carried on the hip (kids when they are older like to face forward and being on the hip for short walks or at the market is great). THe patapum isn't set up for this because it has D-style hooks (?) instead of clasps, making it less able for strap-reconfiguration. Otherwise, the packs are VERY similar.

It is easy to put baby on my back by myself. No problem- and he is WIGGLY (although it does help to turn on the TV or something just for the time you're putting kiddy on the back)

the navy color comes unexpectedly with khaki colored lining which looks weird. Also, the khaki color is a really gross color. Don't get it. The ergo camel color is much more beautiful.

I give it (How many thumbs up out of five?): 4
#2 of 4 Old 02-16-2007, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Brief description of product: Toddler Patapum.

Store/Site of purchase: A distributor

Price: $70+

How long have you used this product? 14 mos.

Fit/Sizing: Toddler size. Fits well, except I am a size 5-6 and it is still loose around my stomach

Performance: great

Workmomship: Fine

Customer Service/Communication: bought it through a distributor

Would you purchase this product again? Probably not.

Have you made a complaint to the WAHM about the product? If yes, please provide details of any resolution or lack thereof: no

Additional Comments:

I have worn this as my only carrier for the past 14mos. I got rid of my wrap carrier thinking that this would be a good and easier replacement. I was wrong. I find it nearly impossible to put on by myself, and my dh still has trouble helping me adjust it and get it so that it isn't hurting me or sagging.

It is easier to do the back carry if you have to put it on yourself, there are way too many harnesses and straps that get tangled.

Overall, my plain wrap carrier was a thousand times easier than using this. I thought it might simplify things, but oh well. And the navy/khaki thing is weird, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I give it (How many thumbs up out of five?): 3.5

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 4 Old 08-02-2007, 12:33 PM

]Product name: Patapum

Brief description of product: Baby Patapum.

Store/Site of purchase: Attached to Baby

Price: $70+

How long have you used this product? 4 mos.

Fit/Sizing: Baby size. It fit DS well even as early as 3 months, though the body of it is wide enough that we hesitated to carry him with his legs spread that early. The site recommends this carrier begining at 5 months, but it's comfy for DS at 4 months old.

Performance: Outstanding

Workmomship: Feels strong and secure

Customer Service/Communication: Haven't had any problems that required communication beyond purchase

Would you purchase this product again? I just bought my second one because DH doesn't like to have to keep readjusting it after I use his.

Have you made a complaint to the WAHM about the product? If yes, please provide details of any resolution or lack thereof: no

Additional Comments: I have found that this is an outstanding carrier. Cheaper and more comfortable for me than the Ergo, cheaper than the Beco, which I never tried. I've been curious about the Beco's narrower body......The advantage of the Ergo is that you can use it with an infant with the insert, but I find that for a newborn I prefer my Moby anyway. The fabric of the Patapum is that rugged canvas that isn't nearly as pretty as a Becco or onbu-style, but you simply can't beat this carrier for comfort and durability. I also find this carrier to be more attractive than the Ergo, more elegant lines in the design. My only complaint is that the colors are so darn ugly - for my Patapum, I ended up buying black and plan to decorate it. I was torn between the Patapum and Beco, but simply couldn't justify the price tag on the Beco when I knew how much I loved the Patapum. My stash is perfect with the Patapum and the Moby - my BabyHawk is just for fashion . My sister, who is a fairly mainstream bjorn-wearer, loved my Patapum and just bought one for herself.

mbs up out of five?): 4.5 (I'd give it 5 if the colors were prettier and it were Fair-Trade manufactured).
#4 of 4 Old 05-24-2008, 11:30 PM

Brief description of product: Soft Structured Carrier

Store/Site of purchase: FSOT at www.thebabywearer.com

Price: around $70 (more than it would usually cost as it had been dyed and it came with a slipskinz)

How long have you used this product? 3 months

Fit/Sizing: I have the toddler size (though mine is slightly smaller than the usual toddler size as it shrunk a bit during the dying process - so in reality it's between baby and toddler size) which has actually worked for ds since he was four months old! As for the fit for me it's very comfortable. I'm tall (6 ft) and thin and it works well for my body type. My pants size is a 6/8 and I'm almost at the tightest setting for the waist straps, so it wouldn't work for a tiny mama.

Performance: Works great for back carries. Is comfy carrying my 23 lb ds for quite a long time (though not the elusive "weightless carry" that I've heard talked about...). I find that the weight is quite evenly distributed between shoulders, back and hips.

Workmomship: very well constructed

Customer Service/Communication: n/a

Would you purchase this product again? No, because I already have one and I don't need another one, lol! But seriously, I would recommend it for other parents or perhaps buy one as a gift.

Additional Comments: nope.

I give it (How many thumbs up out of five?): 4.5 (though to be fair I've never tried any other SSC so I'm not sure how it compares... but it does work well for me)

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Tags
Patapum , Babywearing , Ergo Baby , Toddler , Moby Wrap

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page