Chunei (buckle pod) -iHosa brand - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 10-24-2007, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Product name: light denim chunei (buckle-podaegi)

Brief description of product:
This is a hybrid between a modern buckle SSC (like a Ergo or a Patapum) and a traditional Korean wide-blanket podaegi. The name of these is called a Chunei and are originally from South Korea. They are gaining in popular on this side of the Pacific. A Chunei looks like a vest, has a pleated area in the back where the child sits, a "belt" which goes under the childs butt and buckles in the front, there is also a upper chest buckle and a wide piece of velcro inside the front for extra security and comfort. The shoulder straps are adjustable. The iHosa brand chunei come w/ a support pad and drooling pads.

Store/Site of purchase:
From the mama who runs Hosa USA
http://www.hosausa.com
This is the USA based division of the main Korean company (http://www.ihosa.co.kr)

Price:
The denim ones are $149.00
I got mine of sale for $119
the print ones are between $100 and $120.
Some chunei come with a matching tote.

How long have you used this product?
2 months

Fit/Sizing:
For me, excellent. I still have yet to get rid of all my pregnancy weight and irregardless, a normal sized one fits me more than amply.
Because these are manufactured in Korea where most parents are not on the very plus size, these are geared towards a "averaged" sized person. Hence, someone who is extremely plus sized might not find them comfortable. There are a few XL versions which would fit around a size 16/18 parent.

Performance:
Excellent.
Some major pluses to a chunei over other SSC's are thus.
First, a chunei achieves a true torso/hip carry. the Child sits right at your torso, so the weight is distributed well. The shoulder straps shouldnt be very weight bearing (when adjusted properly).
The style is very flattering for most people who really dislike the thick, waist belt that most SSC's sport. There is no "mummy tummy" with a Chunei.
The vest style adds more support
The overall design is quist supportive, I think it would be very easy to do a newborn abck carry with one. (legs froggied)
You can do a front carry too!

One negative is that they are hard to adjust when worn-especially when new. You will need to try it on, take it off, adjust and do this several times until its suitable. This is different from most SSC's where its easy to adjust when on.

Ideally the child needs to be snug against your back, legs splayed and the belt completely UNDER their butt, their butt should sit deeply in the pouch. If they are not, they could potentially straighten their legs and do a "butt pop". But, if worn properly...butt popping is next to impossible! Dont become frustrated if it takes a few adjustments and wearings for the chunei to feel really comfortable-all carriers have a learning curve. These are well worth the effort!

One other important note is the carriers, esp the prints are manufactured for Korean tastes, and Korean tastes in baby gear can occasionally lean to the kitschy/cutesy side. From speaking to several other chunei wearers, the denim ones tend to be quite popular with American wearers.

Workmomship:
Excellent.

Customer Service/Communication:
The mama who runs Hosa USA is so great. She also sells Korean babywearing ponchos too.

Would you purchase this product again?
Definetly. Id luv a print!
For the past month, pretty much the only carriers I use are my denim chunei and my Psling (I have other carriers but I find the chunei really ideal for back carries and really have no need for anything else!)

Additional Comments:
Just because its a "new" style of carrier, dont be scared to try it!

I give it (How many thumbs up out of five?): 5

Tags
Hosausa Chunei Baby Carrier , Babywearing , Soft Structured Carriers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page