WIC moms what would you like to see??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 38 Old 11-19-2008, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
 
MSUmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to hear from moms who have or currently do receive WIC while breastfeeding.

What kind of breastfeeding specific support are (did) you receiving? What kind of breastfeeding support would you like to (have) receive(d)? What are your thoughts on WIC breastfeeding classes? How/when did the WIC breastfeeding counselor contact you?

TIA!
MSUmama is offline  
#2 of 38 Old 12-01-2008, 11:07 PM
 
waiting2bemommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: buried under laundry
Posts: 1,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just browsing and saw this...here are my answers:
What kind of breastfeeding specific support are (did) you receiving? I was able to borrow a breastpump (which is still sitting in the back of my closet, incidentally) : as a backup to the one I was renting from the hospital. I couldn't use it at work without major inconvenience, because it didn't have a battery pack, bu it still cam in handy in a pinch. I obviously got the bf'ing food package, but unfotunately i will lose it this month since ds turns 1 on the 17th.
What kind of breastfeeding support would you like to (have) receive(d)? I think making it clear that the breastpumps are available, and not having such stringetn guidelines on who can borrow them, would be good. I do understand the reason behind the 6-week rule, but the fact is that i went back to work before my ds was 6 weeks, and WIC would not give me the pump until at least 6 weeks pp, to establish bf'ing first. I HAD to start pumping around 2 weeks, to build a stash. I also was told that I couldn't get a breastpump without a doctor's note....., although that was eventually cleared up.

What are your thoughts on WIC breastfeeding classes? I have been in the waiting room during parts of the bf'ing classes although I never got to go (ds was born before my scheduled class, lol). From what i have heard at those times, they are pretty good, but I think they should present the bf'ing as more of a matter-of-fact thing rather than this big novel undertaking that must be endured until 1 year old. More like, "since we're assuming you're bf'ing for as long as your little one desires, here are some tips for making it go smoothly." And extended bf'ing needs to be mentioned. every single class i have sat in on metnions 1 year as the goal. I understand that 1 year is a great goal and a great achievement, but i think a lot of mamas hear the one year and don't even consider going past that. More emphasis needs to be put on that. And hte bf'ing food package extended accordingly. maybe to 18 months, or 2 years, if the LO is still nursing.

How/when did the WIC breastfeeding counselor contact you? never, i always have to track her down and it ususally takeds a couple of days. in her defense, when i do finally catch her, she is very friendly and genuinely wants to help. I think she's just overloaded.

HTH!!!

ETA: gosh, this sounds like a lot of complaining.....I don't mean it that way at all. Overall i have had a positive ex[perience at WIC, minus an awkward moment over the whole vaccine thing....lol. These are just my observations on what could be improved. but generally speeaking they're doing a good job! oh a thumbs up for the bf'ing info that i see laying around in spanish!

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

waiting2bemommy is offline  
#3 of 38 Old 12-02-2008, 12:12 AM
 
3pink1blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What kind of breastfeeding specific support are (did) you receiving?
None, despite asking for it.


What kind of breastfeeding support would you like to (have) receive(d)?
Peer counselor, breastfeeding group, even just a two minute chat with an LC or counselor to tell me I am doing okay. They make me see a nutritionist that we don't need, but won't let me attend the classes or talk to anyone about breastfeeding.

What are your thoughts on WIC breastfeeding classes?
Until i came to MDC, I had no idea these existed. At our WIC, to my knowledge, all they have is a nutriton class, but only for people who don't speak english fluently (and as it turns out, only those who attend class get project fresh coupons. If I spoke spanish I guess I could receive those much appreciated coupons.)

How/when did the WIC breastfeeding counselor contact you?
Never, and I would have cried tears of joy if someone had. It is hard to be the only breastfeeding mama in your circle. my SIL breastfeeds but we aren't close for other reasons. I would have LOVED to talk to a real person about the challenges and joys of nursing a baby. (Not that yall aren't real, but you know.)
3pink1blue is offline  
#4 of 38 Old 12-02-2008, 01:42 AM
 
SeekingSerenity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hiding out in the mountains
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUmama View Post
What kind of breastfeeding specific support are (did) you receiving?
None. Can't say I've ever gotten any from them either. I've been on WIC in two states over the course of nursing 6 kids and I really could have used some support from SOMEWHERE for the first three. I recall being encouraged to wean when I ran into problems with my first, because they'd "pay for all that formula." I have to be fair and point out that I have never asked for support with my 4th, 5th or 6th, because I haven't needed it.

I always find it kind of amusing and kind of sad that the WIC office staffers are shocked and amazed when I tell them I nursed #4 until his second birthday, and only weaned because I was pregnant and the milk dried up.

Quote:
What kind of breastfeeding support would you like to (have) receive(d)?
There needs to be more benefits to being a nursing mom. Just having extended benefits for mom until the first birthday is not enough. And only offering carrots, tuna and a bit more milk, juice, beans, etc, is not much of an incentive. I hate to sound like it's all about the food benefits, but there are a lot of women out there, esp underpriveleged or working-poor, who think they're not getting much support OR benefit from the BFing and that might be a small incentive to continue.

I'd also like to see a network of nursing moms associated with WIC who could make you feel like you are a part of something larger than yourself when you're a nursing mom. A lot of mothers, young and underclassed, feel as though they are not a part of the "mom club" when all the others are walking around with propped bottles and they have to excuse themselves from the rest to feed. Some community-oriented support groups maybe... anything to get moms to nurse longer would be outstanding.

Quote:
What are your thoughts on WIC breastfeeding classes?
Did I miss something? I do the "nutrition classes" but I don't think I ever attended a breastfeeding class.

Quote:
How/when did the WIC breastfeeding counselor contact you?
I was not aware they had specific BFing counselors. I thought all nutrition aides were trained to answer BFing questions. I've never been contacted by a counselor who was associated exclusively with BFing. When I think BF support, I think LLL and not WIC.

It may be that I have not sought out the information, or it could be that there is less BFing support in my state, I'm not sure. I just never got the impression that it was that much of a priority for them. There's posters and pamphlets galore related to BFing in all the offices but not much personalized involvement.

I am very thankful for all the benefits I've gotten over the many years I've used WIC (except that crappy pump they gave me, that thing was worse than useless) but as I watch them trim the choices and cut the funding year after year, I wonder if it's enough for moms not experienced enough to stick with it (BFing).

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

SeekingSerenity is offline  
#5 of 38 Old 12-02-2008, 06:00 PM
 
prothyraia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Borean Tundra
Posts: 2,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get a breast pump rental for a year, that's it for breastfeeding support. But they might have other resources available, I just haven't needed any help :

I'd really like to see a food package that isn't so heavily dairy based, though. My oldest had real problems when I ate any dairy at all, and I can't drink milk anyway, so there goes most of the food.
prothyraia is offline  
#6 of 38 Old 12-02-2008, 06:19 PM
 
phathui5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Oregon
Posts: 17,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to see every pregnant or nursing mom who goes to WIC be given a referral to the local LLL group.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
phathui5 is offline  
#7 of 38 Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 PM
 
CarsonBookworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that the BF support program at my local WIC is very much advanced.

I had a BF peer counselor who contacted me once a month to discuss any questions/problems/concerns that I might have. I was loaned a Medela Pump for a year, given a Medela Harmony pump right after DD was born to use for occasional outings. Plenty of referrals to LLL, lots of information, a fully furnished and comfy breastfeeding room for Mamas to use.

It would have been nice if they had a IBCLC on staff or on call for questions that the Peer counselors or other staff were unable to answer.

The WIC food packages as they are now are a problem with the emphasis on dairy, but I know now that they are changing to a degree in the not-so-distant future.

Working jammin.gif Student Mama to a energy.gif4 y/o.

CarsonBookworm is offline  
#8 of 38 Old 12-02-2008, 08:52 PM
 
2lilsweetfoxes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: My own little world...
Posts: 1,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I'd like to see
1. Breastfeeding counsellors/mentors who actually know what they are talking about and if they don't have an answer, can refer to someone who does
2. Not being asked at every visit whether we need formula coupons even though LittleOne is over 6 weeks old.
3. Less emphasis on dairy foods
4. Allowing Mama to keep her supplemental foods as long as she is still nursing, even if past a year.
5. Have counsellors call new mamas to check on how breastfeeding is going and help them over "the hump"
6. More times for support group meetings. Why are they ALWAYS Tuesday mornings at 10 am. Some people actually have other commitments, such as a job or volunteer work.
2lilsweetfoxes is offline  
#9 of 38 Old 12-02-2008, 09:45 PM
 
JamesMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Is a PROUD Iowan (finally...)
Posts: 8,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1) Equal food packages/cost to FF mamas, it's only fair!

2) More than just carrots, tuna and beans as our 'incentive'

3) Packages go on past a year if the mama is still nursing

4) LC on staff to help if needed

They were really nice for me, I thought all the ladies were going to dance when I told them I was still bf'ing Aldria at our 1 year check up. They never once asked if I wanted formula, never once offered it, just said "Are you still nursing?" "Yup." "Oh thats FANTASTIC! You rock!!"

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
JamesMama is offline  
#10 of 38 Old 12-03-2008, 09:49 AM
 
zombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am nursing my 18 month old. I was told by the WIC nutritionist that my milk no longer had ANY CALCIUM. I just said "Yes it does" and glared at the woman.
zombie is offline  
#11 of 38 Old 12-03-2008, 01:05 PM
 
mysticmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 6,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post
I think I'd like to see
3. Less emphasis on dairy foods
4. Allowing Mama to keep her supplemental foods as long as she is still nursing, even if past a year.
To this I'd add more fruits and vegetables.

I also think some states have a similar program to the EBT cards and you can get one item or all of them for the month at one time instead of the checks.

I have heard of some people mentioning that they give price limits on items, so they allocate $4 for peanut butter, and if you want the organic version that is $5 then you just pay the extra dollar.

hh2.gif

mysticmomma is offline  
#12 of 38 Old 12-03-2008, 01:54 PM
 
amandaleigh37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow it seems that the differences between programs are HUGE!

My office has always been SUPER great about encouraging BFing. I didn't get on the program until my son was 4 months old, but was always encouraged and told what a great job I was doing BFing. I did have a peer counselor contact me once but I didn't need help.

Now I am a peer counselor myself - there are 2 of us. We each teach a weekly Breastfeeding class, which all pregnant moms are supposed to take. It's a 15 min. video and 15 min. of other info (and Q&A). It is our role to also contact each prenatal at the beginning of their 3rd trimester to discuss BFing plans and talk about any concerns they have. Then we are to contact them again ASAP when they deliver and as much as needed afterwards, referring them to our IBCLC (on staff) if a problem is beyond our scope.

Our office is not stingy with pumps at all either. I was told that as a PC, I can use my judgment if a mom needs a pump for work/school/supply, but if she just wants one so partner can feed baby or she can have a break, to try to talk about it & determine if there's really a need. BUT if it's a matter of having a pump so she will keep BFing, we will give her a pump!

I think our office also has really high breastfeeding rates, which doesn't surprise me because everyone on staff is really knowledgable and encourages BFing!

We also give each pregnant mom a flyer for LLL and again after she delivers. Plus I mention it in the BF class and try to invite each one personally when I talk to her on the phone.

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
amandaleigh37 is offline  
#13 of 38 Old 12-03-2008, 03:01 PM
 
ewp11100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Tied down in MD, feeling restrained
Posts: 1,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUmama View Post
I'd like to hear from moms who have or currently do receive WIC while breastfeeding.

What kind of breastfeeding specific support are (did) you receiving? What kind of breastfeeding support would you like to (have) receive(d)? What are your thoughts on WIC breastfeeding classes? How/when did the WIC breastfeeding counselor contact you?

TIA!
Benifits for nursing more then a year

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
ewp11100 is offline  
#14 of 38 Old 12-03-2008, 03:34 PM
 
LionessMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am extremely grateflu for getting WIC. It gives me so much every month!

the WIC people were alwys good to me. never gave me any grief over anything either. they also completely support my bfing as long as i want. i do miss the bf checkd though. i could really use some free carrots and tuna again. so i guess i just wish the benefits went to 2yrs instead of just 1.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
LionessMom is offline  
#15 of 38 Old 12-04-2008, 12:25 PM
 
SeekingSerenity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hiding out in the mountains
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
I also think some states have a similar program to the EBT cards and you can get one item or all of them for the month at one time instead of the checks.
I just got the EBT card a few months ago, and it is SO much more convenient than the checks. I can go and get a couple gallons of milk and some eggs, or a box of cereal and some juice... whatever, I don't need to stick to exactly what's on the check. And the dates run from the first to the end of the month, so I don't have checks expiring every other week.

Quote:
I have heard of some people mentioning that they give price limits on items, so they allocate $4 for peanut butter, and if you want the organic version that is $5 then you just pay the extra dollar.
The checks always had price limits. I remember having to put back a dozen of my eggs once because they'd raised the price of them so far that it exceeded the allowable expense on the check. But the card doesn't have any expense limits... you do, however, have to stick with the items specifically approved by WIC, i.e. no organic peanut butter, no cereal not listed on the Approved Foods list, and always the least cost brand.

I still get organic peanut butter (I can't eat the sugar-sweetened WIC-approved stuff), but I get it with the food stamps instead.

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

SeekingSerenity is offline  
#16 of 38 Old 12-04-2008, 05:13 PM
 
ElisMomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. Benefits for BF past a year.
2. LC available
3. Allowed to purchase Organic (cereals/PB/eggs)
4. Fruits and Veg
5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaleigh37 View Post
Our office is not stingy with pumps at all either. I was told that as a PC, I can use my judgment if a mom needs a pump for work/school/supply, but if she just wants one so partner can feed baby or she can have a break, to try to talk about it & determine if there's really a need. BUT if it's a matter of having a pump so she will keep BFing, we will give her a pump!
-- My office is stingy.
ElisMomma is offline  
#17 of 38 Old 12-04-2008, 05:27 PM
 
AlwaysByMySide's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUmama View Post
How/when did the WIC breastfeeding counselor contact you?
There's a WIC breastfeeding counselor? I've been on WIC in three states and never knew there was a breastfeeding counselor!

Honestly, I'm not big on breastfeeding classes. I would have liked to have contact information for an LC given to me PRIOR to giving birth.

I also only found out that my state gives out free hand pumps, because I happened to mention something at one of my appointments about how my pump broke, and they said, "Oh, we have free hand pumps, do you need one?" They certainly don't volunteer that information anywhere. I know that not all states have the free pumps available.

In Hawaii, we would get little gifts for meeting certain breastfeeding milestones. Nothing special - a mini cooler, a t-shirt for the baby when she turned one, I think nursing pads were the first gift. I thought that was really nice.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
AlwaysByMySide is offline  
#18 of 38 Old 12-04-2008, 10:39 PM
 
thepeach80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 6,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm about to get back on WIC again (in case this babe needs rx formula to supplement w/ like the last 2) so we'll see. I never got any bfing help, but I never asked for it either. I'm a LLL member and didn't need anyone at WIC to help me. They were supportive that I bf and were amazed I was still bfing when I was down to 4 foods b/c of Evan's allergies. Since I had Ilana though, they opened a new clinic and now offer bfing support groups and bfing moms meet w/ someone special when they go get their checks and have checkups for the baby to make sure bfing is going well etc. There are nice little rooms w/ couches etc. I might try and make it to one of the bfing groups just to see what goes on there as I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 bfing moms in the past 5.5 yrs we've been on and off WIC. Most moms come in w/ tiny babies asking for their formula. Hopefully this new change has helped encourage more moms to bf.

I've never been offered a breast pump, manual or otherwise.

My biggest problem w/ WIC was the lack of allergy assistance. There were times when all we were getting off the checks were juice and if we could find some generic gluten free cereals. All of my kids have had problems w/ milk, soy, and egg and the last 2 had way more issues than that, including wheat. There were no alternatives for them, we just got what we could off the checks.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

thepeach80 is offline  
#19 of 38 Old 12-05-2008, 01:58 PM
 
donutmolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Crunchyville
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to see food packages with alternatives to dairy -- my WIC office couldn't figure out the fact that I could not consume dairy because my breastfed daughter was allergic to milk. DH has been eating alot of cheese...

I'd like to have all WIC employees educated about the benefits of extended nursing, including Child-led weaning. WIC is the only place I go where I have been continually discouraged from nursing my 3 year old. Where's the "way to go, mama!"?

In general, I find my WIC office to be very pro-breastfeeding -- but then I'm in a very pro-breastfeeding area, so I think there would be big consequences of they weren't supportive. But I was unaware of any classes, or how to contact an LC if I had issues... However, I may not have paid attention since I was a 2nd time mom when I started with WIC.

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

donutmolly is offline  
#20 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 12:17 AM
 
waiting2bemommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: buried under laundry
Posts: 1,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jus curious....in what states are you mamas wth the EBT for wic that lets you get rgainc? i have EBT for food stamps, but am still getting the checks for wic. No matter how nicely I ask, they ontinue to print out checks for 4 gallons of milk on one check, which means I either donate 3 gallons to the womens shelter or throw it out. is the card thing coming my way??? I'm in VA.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

waiting2bemommy is offline  
#21 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 04:10 PM
 
SeekingSerenity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hiding out in the mountains
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post
... is the card thing coming my way??? I'm in VA.
You'd have to call your WIC office and ask. I'm in Texas and the EBT card has been implemented in regions, by groups of counties. It seems that the counties with fewer residents got set up with the program first and the densely populated areas are getting on board later. It's essentially the same card as the food stamp EBT but with a microchip in it that stores all the information.

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

SeekingSerenity is offline  
#22 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 05:32 PM
 
Pumpkin_Pie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fruits and veggies year round (instead of just the summer like we have here in Vermont)
Alternatives to peanut butter for allergic kids and mamas. (sunbutter would be tasty!)
Less emphasis on dairy
More cereal choices
Breast feeding benefits as long as the mama is still nursing
Less juice

What I do like:

We have home delivery of our foods here, and it absolutely ROCKS!
I love that we are given Cabot cheddar cheese (local, and tasty!)
All of our milk that we receive is local and rBGH free!
Our eggs are local!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Pumpkin_Pie is offline  
#23 of 38 Old 12-06-2008, 11:54 PM
 
AlwaysByMySide's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
Fruits and veggies year round (instead of just the summer like we have here in Vermont)
<snip>
What I do like:

We have home delivery of our foods here, and it absolutely ROCKS!
I love that we are given Cabot cheddar cheese (local, and tasty!)
All of our milk that we receive is local and rBGH free!
Our eggs are local!
Um, these could be good reasons for me to want to live in Vermont. I am impressed!

:

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
AlwaysByMySide is offline  
#24 of 38 Old 12-17-2008, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
 
MSUmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks to all who responded!

A few things to note;
Fruits and Veggies are coming!!! As are less dairy and juice and a new whole grain option and jarred baby food. There's a link in another thread I posted. All of the states have 18 months to implement the new food packages but they are coming and they are GREAT!

As for pumps, the 6 week rule isn't steadfast, it varies by location. I have no problem getting pumps to moms who need them sooner. Again, I work soley in brastfeeding and not as a WIC employee, but I give out WIC pumps, so my opinion on when a mom needs a pump would clearly be different than that of a WIC employee who is just "going by the book".

As for an equal food package. As part of the new packages, if you receive formula, you will receive less food for you and baby, at least that's my understanding. New packages will include jarred baby food and full time breastfeeding moms will receive the most. The rest will be adjusted per the amount of formula you receive.

Now the support issue...each state is different. Here in Michigan, WIC has BF counselors who work for MSU Extension. I hope those of you in Michigan who stated you'd never heard from anyone live in one of the counties where the program doesn't yet exist. I say that because I'd hate to know that some mamas are falling through the cracks, though in all honesty, I know that's the case.

I'm glad to hear the "high five" calls I make are something moms want, sometimes I feel like a stalker. "Hi, just called to check on you guys, glad to hear it's going well, great job mama!" On one hand, I know I would appreciate the support, on the other, sometimes I feel like it can be a confidence killer to call a mom who is doing well to check on her every few weeks or monthly. Like I am expecting her to have problems, which couldn't be farther from the truth most of the time but I worry it comes off like that.

As for the one year thing...I couldn't agree with all of you more. I also have little hope for that changing any time soon. I have to exit moms out of my program at one year too, so not only does your food package get cut off, so does your support, technically. It's no secret to my co workers that I'd never not go see a mom who is a former client and still nursing, I just have to do it on my own time. We also have a group meeting that is open to extended bf'ing moms as well as non-WIC moms but it's just not the same as having someone on call 24/7 to come to your house

I do think we are missing a lot of moms who need support and I can't figure out how to reach them. I get a referral for every pregnant woman who signs up for WIC, supposedly. Often the phone numbers are disconnected or the person doesn't return calls and then when I finally get in touch with them, they've given up nursing because they ran into problems. Or, I meet women who've never been told about the program, are on WIC and are desperate for help.

It sounds like most of you who answered didn't really get much support and support should exist for most of you. So, how could you find out about support from WIC, aside from WIC telling you? Would mailings be a good idea? Posters at your OB's office? Any ideas?
MSUmama is offline  
#25 of 38 Old 12-17-2008, 07:05 PM
 
southernmommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: looking through the lense
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUmama View Post
I'd like to hear from moms who have or currently do receive WIC while breastfeeding.

What kind of breastfeeding specific support are (did) you receiving? What kind of breastfeeding support would you like to (have) receive(d)? What are your thoughts on WIC breastfeeding classes? How/when did the WIC breastfeeding counselor contact you?

TIA!
From WIC... absolutely nothing!! I would prefer for WIC to NOT give out any advice. They are 9 times out of 10 completely mainstream and pro-formula, that it goes against the health of many of infants and mothers that I have known. I would prefer that WIC stick to just being a supplement source rather than a support group.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

 

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

 

m/c '97 and in '03

 

southernmommie is offline  
#26 of 38 Old 12-17-2008, 07:19 PM
 
prothyraia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Borean Tundra
Posts: 2,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByMySide View Post
Um, these could be good reasons for me to want to live in Vermont. I am impressed!

:
I believe we're getting fruits and veggies, in some form, all the time- starting fall of next year.
prothyraia is offline  
#27 of 38 Old 12-17-2008, 07:26 PM
 
katie&micah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southern Missouri
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmommie View Post
From WIC... absolutely nothing!! I would prefer for WIC to NOT give out any advice. They are 9 times out of 10 completely mainstream and pro-formula, that it goes against the health of many of infants and mothers that I have known. I would prefer that WIC stick to just being a supplement source rather than a support group.
Wow. As another breastfeeding peer counselor for WIC (in Missouri) that's really hard to hear. I feel like there are so many people in my area with absolutely no knowledge of what is normal for a breastfeeding mom or baby. We have no LLL here (closest one is 2 hours away) and I can think of NOTHING nice to say about our local LC. So who would these women turn to? Who will be there to tell them that that's completely normal when everyone else they know has formula fed and is telling them that it's not?


MSUmama
Sometimes I feel the same way when making phone calls. I hope people don't think I'm expecting them to have problems or fail, I really just want to remind them that I'm available to help at any time. Sometimes once a month seems like way too often and with other women it's SO not often enough.
katie&micah is offline  
#28 of 38 Old 12-17-2008, 10:28 PM
 
momeeboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: O'ahu, Hawai'i
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUmama View Post
So, how could you find out about support from WIC, aside from WIC telling you? Would mailings be a good idea? Posters at your OB's office? Any ideas?
Posters at the OB's office for sure. I know I wait awhile and look around a lot. At my OB's office, there is a big bathroom with posters. When you sit and pee (every visit), you can read what's on the wall. Even at ped's offices, too.
momeeboys is offline  
#29 of 38 Old 12-18-2008, 12:11 AM
 
noahs.mom06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm late to see this, but I had issues with WIC when I was BF'ing DS. All they wanted to do was tell me my baby wasn't growing well enough, and that I should supplement. I told them every time that my ped was fine with his growth, but they were just completely focused on the stupid growth charts.
One time, I took the WHO charts for breastfed babies in, and showed them he was in the 15th% on that chart, as opposed to the 7th on theirs, and the lady said she had never seen those charts before.
Then, when I started to realize DS's growth issues were probably due to low supply, and asked about getting a pump to use temporarily to get my supply up and hopefully help his growth, they said they only had pumps for moms who worked outside the home.
Overall, I just did not feel that they were that supportive of BF'ing, especially for being an organization that supposedly promotes and encourages it.
Oh, and I didn't realize there was even such a thing as a WIC breastfeeding counselor... Our WIC office must not have one...

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
noahs.mom06 is offline  
#30 of 38 Old 12-18-2008, 12:25 AM
 
mom2tig99Nroo03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: praying, researchin' and bedrestin'
Posts: 9,417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUmama View Post
I'd like to hear from moms who have or currently do receive WIC while breastfeeding.

What kind of breastfeeding specific support are (did) you receiving? What kind of breastfeeding support would you like to (have) receive(d)? What are your thoughts on WIC breastfeeding classes? How/when did the WIC breastfeeding counselor contact you?

TIA!
i've been a bf counselor, AND a mama receiving benefits - hope i can add my .02

when preg with #1
i rec'd the bf class (a video that had the singer that sang "giving you the best that i got" in it- can't remember her name right now, and a couple of dummied down generic pamplets. i actually paid for a bf class through the hospital too- wic's class gave more info. the wic counselor actually contacted me while preggo, but not through work. we sold avon together, lol. after ds was born and i was having all the problems, i contacted everyone i could think of for help, wic, lll, the hospital. all helped some but the advice didnt mesh with some.

i would have loved an in-hospital visit, and closer followup in the beginning, as well as some "high five " calls.

when pg with #2 i was teaching the classes, lol. i covered more info, including extended benefits etc. i quit one week before my dd was born. i had no calls, but i knew who to call for anyt support i needed. fwiw, the peer counselor from when i had number eventually became a llll for awhile, the llll that was originally here moved (military) and we've gone through a couple since then.

with both more equal packages would have been good. the amt of $ spent was majorly different for a bf mama/infant than a non-bf mama and infant. longer benefits as well.

i did hospital visits when possible (several X a week) and our home nurse was great about making referrals to me, plus most of the docs (the navy ones at least- the civilian ones pretty much sucked) frequently asked me to check in on theirs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaleigh37 View Post
Wow it seems that the differences between programs are HUGE!

My office has always been SUPER great about encouraging BFing. I didn't get on the program until my son was 4 months old, but was always encouraged and told what a great job I was doing BFing. I did have a peer counselor contact me once but I didn't need help.

Now I am a peer counselor myself - there are 2 of us. We each teach a weekly Breastfeeding class, which all pregnant moms are supposed to take. It's a 15 min. video and 15 min. of other info (and Q&A). It is our role to also contact each prenatal at the beginning of their 3rd trimester to discuss BFing plans and talk about any concerns they have. Then we are to contact them again ASAP when they deliver and as much as needed afterwards, referring them to our IBCLC (on staff) if a problem is beyond our scope.

Our office is not stingy with pumps at all either. I was told that as a PC, I can use my judgment if a mom needs a pump for work/school/supply, but if she just wants one so partner can feed baby or she can have a break, to try to talk about it & determine if there's really a need. BUT if it's a matter of having a pump so she will keep BFing, we will give her a pump!

I think our office also has really high breastfeeding rates, which doesn't surprise me because everyone on staff is really knowledgable and encourages BFing!

We also give each pregnant mom a flyer for LLL and again after she delivers. Plus I mention it in the BF class and try to invite each one personally when I talk to her on the phone.
i did similar, but i was the only one. we only had one position open. we actaually had some on staff who were pro babywise, therefore gave bad info for bf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUmama View Post
Thanks to all who responded!

A few things to note;
Fruits and Veggies are coming!!! As are less dairy and juice and a new whole grain option and jarred baby food. There's a link in another thread I posted. All of the states have 18 months to implement the new food packages but they are coming and they are GREAT!

As for pumps, the 6 week rule isn't steadfast, it varies by location. I have no problem getting pumps to moms who need them sooner. Again, I work soley in brastfeeding and not as a WIC employee, but I give out WIC pumps, so my opinion on when a mom needs a pump would clearly be different than that of a WIC employee who is just "going by the book".

As for an equal food package. As part of the new packages, if you receive formula, you will receive less food for you and baby, at least that's my understanding. New packages will include jarred baby food and full time breastfeeding moms will receive the most. The rest will be adjusted per the amount of formula you receive.

Now the support issue...each state is different. Here in Michigan, WIC has BF counselors who work for MSU Extension. I hope those of you in Michigan who stated you'd never heard from anyone live in one of the counties where the program doesn't yet exist. I say that because I'd hate to know that some mamas are falling through the cracks, though in all honesty, I know that's the case.

I'm glad to hear the "high five" calls I make are something moms want, sometimes I feel like a stalker. "Hi, just called to check on you guys, glad to hear it's going well, great job mama!" On one hand, I know I would appreciate the support, on the other, sometimes I feel like it can be a confidence killer to call a mom who is doing well to check on her every few weeks or monthly. Like I am expecting her to have problems, which couldn't be farther from the truth most of the time but I worry it comes off like that.

As for the one year thing...I couldn't agree with all of you more. I also have little hope for that changing any time soon. I have to exit moms out of my program at one year too, so not only does your food package get cut off, so does your support, technically. It's no secret to my co workers that I'd never not go see a mom who is a former client and still nursing, I just have to do it on my own time. We also have a group meeting that is open to extended bf'ing moms as well as non-WIC moms but it's just not the same as having someone on call 24/7 to come to your house

I do think we are missing a lot of moms who need support and I can't figure out how to reach them. I get a referral for every pregnant woman who signs up for WIC, supposedly. Often the phone numbers are disconnected or the person doesn't return calls and then when I finally get in touch with them, they've given up nursing because they ran into problems. Or, I meet women who've never been told about the program, are on WIC and are desperate for help.

It sounds like most of you who answered didn't really get much support and support should exist for most of you. So, how could you find out about support from WIC, aside from WIC telling you? Would mailings be a good idea? Posters at your OB's office? Any ideas?
i think we only do what we're able. i know for me personally i was frequently frustrated by lack of funding for my programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmommie View Post
From WIC... absolutely nothing!! I would prefer for WIC to NOT give out any advice. They are 9 times out of 10 completely mainstream and pro-formula, that it goes against the health of many of infants and mothers that I have known. I would prefer that WIC stick to just being a supplement source rather than a support group.
some wic offices have very good programs. i'm sorry that yours wasn't.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
mom2tig99Nroo03 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off