How do you find a local milk maid? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-05-2003, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of mine's wife just had a baby. Apparently she had a breast reduciton and can't breastfeed now. They have their baby on cow's milk, which is just AWFUL. He said the formula's out there are just terrible.

I was wondering if there isn't a way I could find a local milk maid in the area that they could supplement with.

We live in the East Bay of California (Berkeley area).

If anybody has any suggestions or help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Caring Touch
#2 of 6 Old 12-05-2003, 11:30 PM

I'm no help for your actual question, but I was just told today that it is possible to get a doc to write an Rx for breastmilk, and insurance will pay to get it from a bank. Something to look into, anyhow.

And there is a book about BF after reduction. I believe it is entitled"defining your own success" or somesuch.

Hope some other mamas can be of more help!
#3 of 6 Old 12-06-2003, 09:38 AM

I'm not a fan of artificial milk, but in situations where a newborn doesn't have any breastmilk available, artificial milk is necessary for the baby's health. Cow's milk isn't enough to help a baby thrive and the baby could have real growth and development problems. If the mom can find someone to breastfeed the baby or donate breastmilk, that is great, but until then, cow's milk is a MUCH worse choice for this baby than formula. Please communicate that to them and encourage them to see their pediatrician.

Miriam
Mom to two daughters born in 1997 and 2000
#4 of 6 Old 12-06-2003, 04:19 PM

I got hooked up with a Milk Mama via the Nursing Mothers Council. I have also heard of LLL helping people. There is a website called The Milk Connection that might be able to help. I don't know if it would be possible for them to use a milk mother as a full time milk supplier, I just need to supplement.

If they are set against using formula, I know that some people mix up a homemade formula using goats milk. I don't have the recipe, I know that a Pediatric Chiropractor in town gives it out. It might be on-line, I have never looked. You can also order goats milk based formula online from NZ and England. It is expensive however.

They could use the organic formula that is out there marketed as a "Toddler Formula". I used it briefly to supplement and my ND said it is fine for babies.

If they continue to use plain cow or goat milk, the baby will not thrive.

Victorian
#5 of 6 Old 12-07-2003, 02:42 PM

You could also go into Finding Your Tribe on these boards and post. I'm sure someone can help. Good luck. I'm am very saddened to hear about this couple. I hope you can help them.
#6 of 6 Old 12-07-2003, 07:36 PM

ITA cow's milk for a baby is an absolute no-no. I have a friend who also had a breast reduction and she was still able to BF, she just had to supplement. In the end she ended up on formula completly but at least she got BM for a while, plus I do not think the mamas heart was completly into BF.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page