Now I need help writing a letter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2003, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am writing this letter to One Step Ahead regarding a recent photo in their catalog. The details of the pic are in the letter.

This is my letter so far:

One Step Ahead
P.O. Box 517
Lake Bluff, IL 60044

December 10, 2003

Dear Catalog Layout Planners,

On page 25 of your recent catalog, you have a picture of a woman sitting in a rocking chair, giving her baby a bottle while the baby is lying on a Boppy. The print for the rocking chair reads, "The perfect chair for nursing, bonding, and relaxing." The print for the Boppy reads, "ideal for nursing." Yet, your picture shows a woman giving her baby a bottle, not nursing. It is bad advertizing to not match the photo and print.

As you know, most American mothers end up giving their babies formula before their first birthdays, whether they start out nursing or not. This is not recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics. The AAP recommends nursing for at least one year. I believe that the reason mothers end up choosing formula, despite its health risks, is that they do not have any role models of mothers nursing. Pictures in catalogs and magazines and on television of mothers nursing their babies helps to give mothers those role models.

It is disappointing that a catalog as fine as yours would not show a mother nursing her baby on a nursing pillow in a nursing rocking chair. If you wish to use a bottle in pictures such as this, perhaps you could show a father giving his baby a bottle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd like the letter to be less preachy and not so much telling them what to do, but I'm not sure what else to say. Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2003, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know excatly what pic you are talking about.
I think your letter was great. It's true. It's a Nursing chair.it would be beautiful to see that woman there nursing her baby.

I saw that pic and never even thought anymore about it. Man i need to work on my lactivism!
Old 12-11-2003, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The more letters they receive about this picture, the more likely they will be to change it. Hint, hint, hint. Address above.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:06 PM

ITA but the picture is supplied by Boppy not the catalog. Its the same picture they always show in catalogs. I'd send a letter to Boppy if it were me

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 12-11-2003, 08:02 PM

that is a great letter, and a great point! i agree though, send it to Boppy as well.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

User Tag List