Help North Dakota's BFing Bill--Voting Today Update Post#60 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 02-18-2009, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was really excited about this, it didn't have an enforcement provision, but it was pretty good. It got passed today, and I am so ticked.

It passed in the Senate an hour ago. I don't know when it will be up in the House.

They changed it from:
Quote:
Right to breastfeed - Discriminatory practices.
1. Except for the private home or residence of another, a woman may breastfeed her child in any location, public or private, where the woman and child are otherwise authorized to be, irrespective of whether the nipple of the woman's breast is uncovered during or incidental to the breastfeeding.
2. It is a discriminatory practice to deny or attempt to deny the full and equal
enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and
accommodations of a place of public accommodation to a woman because the
woman is breastfeeding her child.
http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/61-...t/JAGK0100.pdf

to this:
Quote:
Right to breastfeed. If the woman acts in a discreet and modest Manner, a woman may breastfeed her child in any location, public or private, where the woman and child are otherwise authorized to be.
http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/61-...s/JAGK0200.pdf

I don't know where to start to try to change it. Help!

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#2 of 66 Old 02-18-2009, 06:12 PM

I'm not in the U.S. so have no idea where you would begin, but I did want to say OH MY! That is horrible! Who gets to decide what is "discreet and modest"? Those definitions can even vary depending on the breastfeeding child! So sorry that this got passed. Did they just change it suddenly? If so, why didn't anyone get a say after they proposed the change?

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#3 of 66 Old 02-18-2009, 06:19 PM

I agree.... very frustrating! Discreet and Modest are very subjective terms.
#4 of 66 Old 02-18-2009, 06:33 PM

Argh...another neighboring state trying to legislate modesty!

What's next? Stoning women for showing their hair?

Don't know if there's anything a Minnesotan can do...but if there is, I'll do it.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#5 of 66 Old 02-18-2009, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

I had been watching and they didn't post any proposed amendments, and of course I'd sent emails to my reps and senator saying I supported it.

I don't know where to start since it's passed by the Senate and will be reviewed by the House next. I don't even know how to find out how changes are made.

#6 of 66 Old 02-18-2009, 08:11 PM

Anyone want to go to ND and breastfeed topless while "behaving modestly"? I mean, a half-naked woman is just as able to avoid disagreeing with males in public and walking 2 steps behind their husband or whatever freaked-out standard of "modesty" the lawmakers have in mind.

Maybe they just mean modest clothing? There are lots of MDC mamas who can give tips on cute cloths to keep elbows and knees covered--even swimsuits!

State-legislated covering up, sounds like it's time to break out the maria lactans blankets.

I am so about the way the legislation is worded that I can't seem to post anything serious about it without swearwords.
#7 of 66 Old 02-18-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
I had been watching and they didn't post any proposed amendments, and of course I'd sent emails to my reps and senator saying I supported it.

I don't know where to start since it's passed by the Senate and will be reviewed by the House next. I don't even know how to find out how changes are made.
Maggirayne, it's wonderful that you have already been an active citizen on this matter in your home state. There's nothing that says you can't contact your reps and senator again about this bill!

I suggest calling, not e-mailing, your representative(s) in the House to tell them you are opposed to the bill passed by the Senate and to urge them to pass the bill in its original form.

I also suggest calling AND writing (snail mail) your senator(s) to tell them how disappointed you are with the bill the Senate passed and why you opposed the wording about modesty. I would ask if they can tell you who is responsible for the dramatic change in the bill's content.

Do you know which senator(s) originally sponsored this bill? You may not be their constituent, but as a citizen of the state I'd think you have a right to ask questions about the process by which the bill was written and then modified. Finding out precisely who is responsible for gutting an otherwise not-half-bad bill would be helpful in knowing how to push back.

I'm thinking there is either one or a few "loose cannons" in the Senate who disrupted the process out of their own squeamish misogyny, or that a group who wanted to derail the entire bill gutted the wording in the Senate version to make sure the House would kill the bill so that NOTHING would be passed on breastfeeding in public. But if the House passes the bill you originally supported, then probably the two versions would go to a committee to sort out the wording of the final version, so you might have a second shot at the process at that stage.

Another idea to do along with contacting your legislators would be to e-mail a newspaper reporter who covers state legislation and ask if they can find out who is responsible for changing the wording. That reporter would know the terrain of state politics and might even be interested in writing a story to bring more public attention to this issue.
#8 of 66 Old 02-18-2009, 08:50 PM

I agree, contact your Representative again (via phone if possible) and let the Rep know that you do NOT support the current wording on the bill, and ask for the original wording for the House version.

Then contact your Senators and tell them that you do not and did not support the amendments.

Hopefully, the bill passed by the House will be the original version, and they'll be combined. Or, the House won't pass it at all and IMO in this situation, no law is better than what the Senate just passed.

Please post this in the Tribe threads so that as many ND mothers as possible know about the current status of the legislation, how to contact their Representatives (their #1 concern right now) and their Senators as well, to try to reverse this damage.

Not all who wander are lost.
#9 of 66 Old 02-18-2009, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I had no idea where to start and was so mad I was hopping. My DD says, mommy bouncing.

I did go to the committee meeting and one senator was asking the (woman) pediatrician who testified for it about discreet. She stated it was not easy or comfortable nursing in a bathroom. Um, can we say and unsanitary?!

#10 of 66 Old 02-18-2009, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

A third thought is that the committee reworded it so it would get passed.

#11 of 66 Old 02-18-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
A third thought is that the committee reworded it so it would get passed.
But I think the way it is, it's worse than not having anything at all. Because anyone can say someone wasn't being their definition of "discreet and modest". It really offers zero protection for a breastfeeding woman. It might even be used as a reason to send women to the "discreet" bathroom to nurse. "No problem, you can breastfeed in our restaurant, you just have to do it discreetly in the bathroom as that's what the law says!".

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#12 of 66 Old 02-19-2009, 12:11 AM

Ugh! Nauseating!

Here are some suggestions: (1) as previous posters said, contact your reps and senators; (2) research open records/open meetings laws in your state (usually accessible online so that you can request as much history as possible about the gutting of the bill and who is behind it; (3) contact civil rights lawyers or organizations in your area--this sounds like a gender discrimination issue which could very well be challenged in court if it passes--I can imagine there is a claim under state constitutional law.

I know I am "preaching to the choir," but this modesty garbage makes me so angry. Women can walk around in 2-inch skirts and teeny shirts with bras straps hanging out, and Victoria's Secret ads can be anywhere, but heaven forbid somebody gets a glance at a nursing mom's nipple. shocking!
#13 of 66 Old 02-19-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbh View Post
Maggirayne, it's wonderful that you have already been an active citizen on this matter in your home state. There's nothing that says you can't contact your reps and senator again about this bill!

I suggest calling, not e-mailing, your representative(s) in the House to tell them you are opposed to the bill passed by the Senate and to urge them to pass the bill in its original form.

I also suggest calling AND writing (snail mail) your senator(s) to tell them how disappointed you are with the bill the Senate passed and why you opposed the wording about modesty. I would ask if they can tell you who is responsible for the dramatic change in the bill's content.

Do you know which senator(s) originally sponsored this bill? You may not be their constituent, but as a citizen of the state I'd think you have a right to ask questions about the process by which the bill was written and then modified. Finding out precisely who is responsible for gutting an otherwise not-half-bad bill would be helpful in knowing how to push back.

I'm thinking there is either one or a few "loose cannons" in the Senate who disrupted the process out of their own squeamish misogyny, or that a group who wanted to derail the entire bill gutted the wording in the Senate version to make sure the House would kill the bill so that NOTHING would be passed on breastfeeding in public. But if the House passes the bill you originally supported, then probably the two versions would go to a committee to sort out the wording of the final version, so you might have a second shot at the process at that stage.

Another idea to do along with contacting your legislators would be to e-mail a newspaper reporter who covers state legislation and ask if they can find out who is responsible for changing the wording. That reporter would know the terrain of state politics and might even be interested in writing a story to bring more public attention to this issue.
All of what she said.

PLUS, in my experience every state legislature has a way in via the website that will lead you to the history for the bill. For this bill it is here:

http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/61-...ns/ba2344.html

which says the amendment was added in the senate committee.

Here: http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/61-...31.pdf#Page488 is the senate journal indicating the amendments made in the Human Services Committee but only give the name of the chair of the committee (J. Lee) and not who introduced the amendment. The amendment makes this a very bad bill. The amendments are also shockingly similar to those Wisconsin Family Action is agitating for in Wisconsin. This is bad. Very very bad.

From the status listing, it appears that this is not yet out of the state senate. It is "engrossed." No idea what that means but it appears to be something like the "first reading" here in PA. It may not be possible to change what happens because only someone who knows the ND legislative procedure will know how it works.

Noise. You and other breastfeeding advocates in ND need to make a whole lot of noise and do it now. Post all of this at the ND tribal area. Find the state breastfeeding coalition. Call both your state senator and your state house rep and keep talking to staff people until you get a straight answer about what happened and what can be done to stop it.

The "modesty" is coming from somewhere - no way by shear coincidence it hits two good state bills in a matter of days.

Please post back. And thanks so much for bringing this here.

J.D. and mother to three. Sustainable Mothering and check out my Writing and Speaking
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.
#14 of 66 Old 02-19-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajake View Post
All of what she said.

PLUS, in my experience every state legislature has a way in via the website that will lead you to the history for the bill. For this bill it is here:

http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/61-...ns/ba2344.html

which says the amendment was added in the senate committee.

Here: http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/61-...31.pdf#Page488 is the senate journal indicating the amendments made in the Human Services Committee but only give the name of the chair of the committee (J. Lee) and not who introduced the amendment. The amendment makes this a very bad bill. The amendments are also shockingly similar to those Wisconsin Family Action is agitating for in Wisconsin. This is bad. Very very bad.

From the status listing, it appears that this is not yet out of the state senate. It is "engrossed." No idea what that means but it appears to be something like the "first reading" here in PA. It may not be possible to change what happens because only someone who knows the ND legislative procedure will know how it works.

Noise. You and other breastfeeding advocates in ND need to make a whole lot of noise and do it now. Post all of this at the ND tribal area. Find the state breastfeeding coalition. Call both your state senator and your state house rep and keep talking to staff people until you get a straight answer about what happened and what can be done to stop it.

The "modesty" is coming from somewhere - no way by shear coincidence it hits two good state bills in a matter of days.

Please post back. And thanks so much for bringing this here.

EVERYTHING Jake said!

Also about the noise MAKE it! Call the media and as a pp suggested find a reporter who works the legislature. Find as many bfing mamas as you can to get them to call their legislators and express their disagreement with the new bill. This bill is so much worse than nothing! Find the original sponsor and see if they can help you stop this thing before it gets too far. You might have to do a lot of leg work, but maybe they will point you in the right direction.

Good Luck mama!
#15 of 66 Old 02-19-2009, 02:06 AM

I just posted about this on another board that I frequent with lots of passionate, pro-bf mamas. Hopefully at least a couple will see it and make some noise!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#16 of 66 Old 02-19-2009, 04:08 AM

This pisses me off! DH is from ND and we do visit there from time to time. I don't know what I can do from out of state though!
#17 of 66 Old 02-19-2009, 06:52 AM

I'm from ND and am on it. I can't believe this crap is happening. Where is the logic? You can find some of us breastfeeding friendly ND moms here:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/g...0423778&ref=mf

I am trying to send the message down the grapevine. I hope we can get this changed before it passes the house. I was better not having a law at all rather than have this messed up one as baring your breasts in public in ND is not considered indecent exposure anyway.

AAAARRRGGGG!!! Had to let that one out.
#18 of 66 Old 02-19-2009, 10:22 AM

Massachusetts had tried to add those same *terms* to our new BFing law, but they were eventually taken out because of their subjectivity. Leaving them in turns the law into a farce, imo. I hope you are able to get the wording changed!!!!!

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
#19 of 66 Old 02-19-2009, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yeah, I do know it was changed in the Senate committee.

All right, all right, I'm getting a Facebook, lol! I've put it off forever. Heheh.

#20 of 66 Old 02-19-2009, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, and engross, means it's passed by the Senate but not by the House, I think. At least, that's it's status.

#21 of 66 Old 02-19-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Same here I am so upset about this & I'm not even nursing right now. But I know I will be again and this law scares me.
#22 of 66 Old 02-19-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yeah, I do know it was changed in the Senate committee--my FIL is on that, which makes this. . .interesting. They don't say much about our choices, but he was questioning the safety of nursing while pg this weekend, totally OT, but it makes it a little weird for me. But my DH said "She's knows what she's doing." :

All right, all right, I'm getting a Facebook, lol! I've put it off forever. Heheh.
Was your FIL able to give you any insight into where the amendment came from? Since this is so similar to what is being pushed by an outside org in Wisconsin, I have to suspect that some political entity is behind inserting "modesty" language in order to effectively tank breastfeeding bills. Nationally, it is important we find out which entity is behind this.

Thanks!

J.D. and mother to three. Sustainable Mothering and check out my Writing and Speaking
#23 of 66 Old 02-19-2009, 02:39 PM

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/breast50.htm

according to this, both Georgia and Missouri have modesty language in place. Both of those laws were passed in 1999.
#24 of 66 Old 02-19-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedteacher30 View Post
http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/breast50.htm

according to this, both Georgia and Missouri have modesty language in place. Both of those laws were passed in 1999.
That website often has errors which is why each law needs to be looked at as written:

Georgia:

§ 31-1-9. Breast-feeding of baby

The breast-feeding of a baby is an important and basic act of nurture which should be encouraged in the interests of maternal and child health. A mother may breast-feed her baby in any location where the mother and baby are otherwise authorized to be.

HISTORY: Code 1981, § 31-1-9, enacted by Ga. L. 1999, p. 464, § 1; Ga. L. 2002, p. 1139, § 1.

Missouri is currently the only state in which the way in which public breastfeed may be performed is limited:

Breast-feeding in public permitted.

191.918. Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, a mother may, with as much discretion as possible, breast-feed her child in any public or private location where the mother is otherwise authorized to be.

See also footnote 1 of http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...ation-law.html

#25 of 66 Old 02-20-2009, 06:26 PM

Grrr. If J. Lee is Judy Lee, she was the same representative trying to pass a ridiculous bill trying to ban homebirth a couple of years ago. I was hoping she would have gotten voted out...

I'm off to write (another) angry letter to the Forum.

I'm with a PP -- makes we wanna nurse topless. And it's 10 degrees here right now.

Jill, wife to J, mama to O (10/03), MK (7/05), angel1.gif(7/09), A (5/4/10), and ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stork-suprise.gif** 

#26 of 66 Old 02-20-2009, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

This is page of senators and representatives:
http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/61-...ist-legis.html

These are who sponsored the bill:
Senators Marcellais, Bakke, Mathern, Oehlke
Representatives Conrad, Potter

This is who is on the Human Services Committee that changed the wording.
Human Services - Meets Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday
Judy Lee - Chairman
Robert S. Erbele - Vice Chairman
Dick Dever
Joan Heckaman
Richard Marcellais
Jim Pomeroy

#27 of 66 Old 02-20-2009, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

I posted the above because someone asked who to contact regarding the bill.

We want to have the House consider the original wording, not the revised version passed by the Senate.

This really has made me upset, however, when you contact them, please focus on mutual purpose, which was discussed in the committee meeting, to encourage more mothers to breastfeed, to increases the percentages of mothers leaving the hospital, at six months and continuing to a year. I know, they made no mentioned that the AAP's recommendation of one year is the minumum. That's not our focus right now. It's to change the current wording. So when you contact your representatives and senators, please be respectful and focus on our goal and express mutual purpose to them.

If a mother feels she cannot be modest because she has a squirmy baby, she will resort to formula feeding. I know several people who do this when they are in public situaions. This harms the breastfeeding relatioonship and does not help mothers continue breastfeeding, which will impact the percentages desired by those working to improve breastfeeding.

We want to make a difference.

#28 of 66 Old 02-22-2009, 01:57 AM

Bumping.

I see here and elsewhere that ND moms need to contact their state House reps and make clear you want the bill returned to its original wording. http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/61-...t/JAGK0100.pdf That means not only that the "modesty" language needs to come out, but that the inclusion of "breastfeeding" as a protected civil right needs to go back in. If the House passes this bill, even without the "modesty" language," you are still left with an enforceable law. It was the inclusion in civil rights law that made this enforceable.

Please, please read this article http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...ation-law.html and the many threads in this forum on what happens to mothers in states without enforcement provisions. Please, remember the Ronald McDonald House moms.

Also, is anyone cross-posting in Tribal?

#29 of 66 Old 02-22-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

I put it in the ND thread and in the thread about the BF bill. I should start a new thread.

I am feeling really discouraged. I had sent the part of that article about needing an enforcement provision to my FIL, wish I'd thought to send it to the whole committee, and I dunno, it's just frustrating to me.

I am afraid to say anything because I'm not good at saying things so people can hear them when I get really, not just wound up or excited, but well, I guess when I am super-passionate. I am angry at the wrongness of this, and I sound angry, and when people hear anger, they feel attacked and don't hear the message. This is from my personal experience.

So I'm kinda at a standstill and not sure where to go.

#30 of 66 Old 02-22-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I put it in the ND thread and in the thread about the BF bill. I should start a new thread.

I am feeling really discouraged. I had sent the part of that article about needing an enforcement provision to my FIL, wish I'd thought to send it to the whole committee, and I dunno, it's just frustrating to me.

I am afraid to say anything because I'm not good at saying things so people can hear them when I get really, not just wound up or excited, but well, I guess when I am super-passionate. I am angry at the wrongness of this, and I sound angry, and when people hear anger, they feel attacked and don't hear the message. This is from my personal experience.

So I'm kinda at a standstill and not sure where to go.
Hugs to you.

Take a breath and keep organizing and informing people - particularly about contacting legislators now in a position to restore the original language.

One other thing I wanted to mention. The amended bill not only adds this ambiguous "modesty" language. The original bill would have amended the section of ND's state human rights law http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t14c024.pdf to including breastfeeding in several ways, including explicitly defining breastfeeding discrimination as sex discrimination. That seems, it appears, that the remedies available to victims of sex discrimination would have been available to victims of breastfeeding discrimination.

Another vital section of the original bill that was stripped was:

"3. It is a discriminatory practice for any employer to refuse to hire or employ or to bar or discharge from employment or withhold pay, demote, or penalize an employee because the employee breastfeeds or expresses milk at the workplace. An employer may not prohibit an employee from expressing breast milk during any meal period or other break period required by law to be provided by an employer."

The version of the bill that came out of committee now offers NO workplace protection for breastfeeding women.

So advocates can point to three failings of the stripped bill:

1) modesty and discretion are hopelessly subjective;

2) there is no way to enforce the ability to breastfeed in public; and

3) there are no workplace protections.

Hang in there breastfeeding advocates in North Dakota!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page