Fisher-Price!!!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-02-2009, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They have a parenting advice section on their site and OMG....this is their article on "how to decide: breast or bottle?":

http://tinyurl.com/dctkj4

Mama to two girls 12/05 and 8/09

#2 of 21 Old 04-02-2009, 12:34 AM

Is there an emoticon/smilie for "poking out my eyeballs"??
That makes me want to scream!!
But thanks for sharing.

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
#3 of 21 Old 04-02-2009, 01:26 AM

"It's easy to bottlefeed baby just about anywhere."

Yeah, just as easy to nurse.... oy. So annoying how they make a big list of the pros of bottlefeeding.. but I'm sure they are making a profit somehow.. hmmm
#4 of 21 Old 04-02-2009, 01:38 AM

What the hell!?!?!?!?
That's not even a factual "article"! I agree with the pp who said they must be making money off of it.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#5 of 21 Old 04-02-2009, 01:38 AM

See now I was all happy and goofy from the AFD stuff and now I went and read that. :

Blech!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#6 of 21 Old 04-02-2009, 05:33 AM

Breastfed babies can be fed anywhere too...is this beyond some peoples understanding? More easily I might add. Bottles, mixing, etc. - no thanks.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#7 of 21 Old 04-02-2009, 08:01 AM

Ugh...plus constant sterilising. Just the thought of having to make up a bottle while the baby screams from being so hungry *shudder* it all just seems a bit stressful to me!
I always tell people I'm far too lazy to bottlefeed, lol!
xx
#8 of 21 Old 04-02-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlugato View Post
"It's easy to bottlefeed baby just about anywhere."

Yeah, just as easy to nurse.... oy. So annoying how they make a big list of the pros of bottlefeeding.. but I'm sure they are making a profit somehow.. hmmm
Yeah, it's MUCH easier to nurse your baby anywhere. No worrying about mixing or warming a bottle while your baby is screaming to be fed.

Doesn't FP make bottles or supplies for FFing? I'm sure they are making $$ off of FFing somehow.

#9 of 21 Old 04-02-2009, 11:12 AM

From a TOY COMPANY?!?!?!?

#10 of 21 Old 04-02-2009, 11:48 AM

I hate these little 'parenting tidbits' they throw at first time moms.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#11 of 21 Old 04-02-2009, 12:41 PM

That is so bad ! I have bought fisher price stuff before too. No more.
#12 of 21 Old 04-02-2009, 02:55 PM

:

I finally found a "feedback" forum, under the Consumer Research Survey button . http://service.mattel.com/us/survey_...?from=homepage

Here's my response to them:

Quote:
•Dad and other caregivers can feed baby
•Mom doesn’t need a breast pump, nursing bras or other special clothing.
•It's easy to bottlefeed baby just about anywhere.
•Moms who bottlefeed can diet, take medication and drink or eat as they choose without worrying about effects on baby.
•With a bottle, it's easy to tell exactly how much baby is taking in.
•Bottlefeeding mothers bond just as closely with their babies as nursing mothers.
1)Dad and other caregivers can still bond with and care for the baby. There are many ways to interact with the baby that do not involve feeding the baby inferior food.
2)Most breastfeeding moms do very well without any extra equipment or clothing. If she decides to get one or two nursing bras, they are very inexpensive compared with the cost of artificial human milks (formula)
3)It’s easier to breastfeed a baby just about anywhere, and much more convenient than bottlefeeding. Mama’s milk is always fresh, warm, and nutritious! No sterilizing, mixing, or cleaning up afterwards.
4)“Moms who bottlefeed can diet, take medication and drink or eat as they choose without worrying about effects on baby.” This statement is NOT true. Families who feed artificial human milk must worry about the increased risk to their children of ear infections, nectrotizing enterocolitis, obesity, gastrointestinal infections, and many, many other medical and dental difficulties. In addition, breasfeeding moms burn more than 500 calories a day providing breastmilk to their child, helping to shed pregnancy weight. The vast majority of medications are safe to take while breastfeeding. Even small amounts of alcohol are perfectly fine. And, the vast majority of breastfeeding moms can eat whatever they like.
5)When you breastfeed, it’s easy to tell exactly when the baby is done. When they finish.
6)I would like to see your evidence based proof for the statement that “bottlefeeding mothers bond just as closely with their babies as nursing mothers.” I have never seen proof for this in the medical, nursing, or psychological literature.

Please take down this erroneous and medically dangerous information from your web page immediately!

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#13 of 21 Old 04-02-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJaneLouise View Post
:

I finally found a "feedback" forum, under the Consumer Research Survey button . http://survey.mattel.com/scripts/perseus6.exe

1)Dad and other caregivers can still bond with and care for the baby. There are many ways to interact with the baby that do not involve feeding the baby inferior food.
2)Most breastfeeding moms do very well without any extra equipment or clothing. If she decides to get one or two nursing bras, they are very inexpensive compared with the cost of artificial human milks (formula)
3)It’s easier to breastfeed a baby just about anywhere, and much more convenient than bottlefeeding. Mama’s milk is always fresh, warm, and nutritious! No sterilizing, mixing, or cleaning up afterwards.
4)“Moms who bottlefeed can diet, take medication and drink or eat as they choose without worrying about effects on baby.” This statement is NOT true. Families who feed artificial human milk must worry about the increased risk to their children of ear infections, nectrotizing enterocolitis, obesity, gastrointestinal infections, and many, many other medical and dental difficulties. In addition, breasfeeding moms burn more than 500 calories a day providing breastmilk to their child, helping to shed pregnancy weight. The vast majority of medications are safe to take while breastfeeding. Even small amounts of alcohol are perfectly fine. And, the vast majority of breastfeeding moms can eat whatever they like.
5)When you breastfeed, it’s easy to tell exactly when the baby is done. When they finish.
6)I would like to see your evidence based proof for the statement that “bottlefeeding mothers bond just as closely with their babies as nursing mothers.” I have never seen proof for this in the medical, nursing, or psychological literature.

Please take down this erroneous and medically dangerous information from your web page immediately!
Just wanted to say:
:

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#14 of 21 Old 04-02-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJaneLouise View Post
:

I finally found a "feedback" forum, under the Consumer Research Survey button . http://service.mattel.com/us/survey_...?from=homepage

Well said!

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
#15 of 21 Old 04-04-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusmomma View Post
Just wanted to say:
:
:
#16 of 21 Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 PM

On the positive side, they do precede that by saying:

"If you're not sure how to make up your mind, try starting off with breastfeeding. Almost all new mothers can master it with practice and some help from a lactation consultant, a support group such as La Leche League or friends who have been through it. If it goes well, you can stick with it;"
#17 of 21 Old 04-04-2009, 10:26 PM

woooooaaahhh....How inappropriate for a TOY company to be giving advice. And Im appalled at the "information" given. UNbelievable.

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#18 of 21 Old 04-04-2009, 11:16 PM

Ok. How do we email them a letter of complaint??? I've just spent 10min too long looking for this information on their website of Complete Lies and Horrible False Information! I want to email this company- not call them- to complain. Feel free to PM me if need be.
OP- thanks for the link. I thought this kind of crap advice was no longer in place.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#19 of 21 Old 04-04-2009, 11:28 PM

Well, I went to the above listed link (survey one) and left some feedback there. I would still like to have an email address for an actual customer service rep if at all possible.....

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#20 of 21 Old 04-05-2009, 11:38 AM

at the end of the article it said that APA does not recommend cows milk for children under the age of 1 due to increased allergies.... isn't cows milk (dried/powdered) a large ingredient in formula?? I really don't know (I've never bought/browsed or read the cans....)

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

#21 of 21 Old 04-05-2009, 06:42 PM

Ummm... someone needs to tell them that the cow's milk thing for the AAP is not the only thing they say...

http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases...astfeeding.htm

"Exclusive breastfeeding for approximately the first six months and support for breastfeeding for the first year and beyond as long as mutually desired by mother and child. "

And that the American Association of Family Family Physicians has an even more strongly worded statement...

"Breastfeeding is the physiological norm for both mothers and their children. Breastmilk offers medical and psychological benefits not available from human milk substitutes. The AAFP recommends that all babies, with rare exceptions, be breastfed and/or receive expressed human milk exclusively for the first six months of life. Breastfeeding should continue with the addition of complementary foods throughout the second half of the first year. Breastfeeding beyond the first year offers considerable benefits to both mother and child, and should continue as long as mutually desired. Family physicians should have the knowledge to promote, protect, and support breastfeeding."

http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/p...ingpolicy.html

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

Tags
Fisher Price , Toys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page