Public Breastfeeding Equated with Public Sex - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2009, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is a current debate in a local newspaper about breastfeeding in public happening through a forum call Speak Your Piece. Most are offended by it and only one healthcare professional has spoken in defense. I had to get involved when a woman just wrote in equating public breastfeeding with public sex, and that her husband couldn't stop staring at a breastfeeding woman in a Hardees. What is wrong with people? Is our media that over sexed? Wow!
So, is this a common equation across the country? I live in Appalachia, and in my area I have never seen a woman bfing in public. I do and will do so rightfully. It is shameful the way this woman spoke really. It makes me want to start a La Leche League Chapter or something in support of bfing mothers around here because there is nothing... really.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 02:03 AM

It's not at all uncommon, sadly. It's a straw man argument, of course, as is comparing nursing to defecating. It's, IMO, a desperate argument. They've nothing of any real substance to use, so they reach straight for the most inflammatory thing they can think of. I'd have whacked my (ex)husband upside the head if he ever "couldn't stop staring" at the chest region of any woman. I've nursed babies on many, many different military installations, and let me tell you if your average dirty-minded sailor can not stare, anyone else should be able to avoid it!

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Old 04-03-2009, 02:23 AM

Wait a minute, her husband couldn't stop staring at a breastfeeding woman and she's saying it's the woman's fault?!?
Old 04-03-2009, 02:24 AM

I have never heard a direct comparison to sex. Usually, when NIP is defended because it is the normal, natural way to feed a baby, someone comments, "Lots of things are natural that I would never do in public!" leaving us to fill in the blanks.

As someone asked in another thread, if BF is equivalent to public sex, what on earth does that make bottle feeding?
Old 04-03-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger View Post
I have never heard a direct comparison to sex. Usually, when NIP is defended because it is the normal, natural way to feed a baby, someone comments, "Lots of things are natural that I would never do in public!" leaving us to fill in the blanks.

As someone asked in another thread, if BF is equivalent to public sex, what on earth does that make bottle feeding?
Hm, a bottle's an artificial substitute for a breast sooo. . .
Old 04-03-2009, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is just so sad... What kind of impact does this have on future mothers and fathers? And I thought we had come so far.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

Old 04-03-2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger View Post

Greek vegan mama to an amazing little bean born in May 2009.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
Wait a minute, her husband couldn't stop staring at a breastfeeding woman and she's saying it's the woman's fault?!?
Yeah, sounds like the MAN has to learn where to put his eyes. How ridiculous that the wife is blaming the mother.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

It's the wildest thing I have ever heard. I had to say her husband must be a perverted man. She did say that sex is a natural thing and we don't do that in public. That is completely ridiculous! A breast isn't a vagina or penis! A baby sucking a breast is not passionate and erotic for crying out loud. I'm incensed by this and have written to the paper and on my blog about it. I feel it so necessary to do more. When the founder of our natural parenting group was hanging fliers, a older lady looked at him and said "You ain't going to find anybody titty feed around here." It was a few days later they found me. I'm so sad about this because we live in a place so close to nature and creation yet, there are so many people trying to defend themselves against a stereotype of the impoverished stupid hillbilly that they are hellbent to fit into popular culture denying the things that have sustained this region for decades. A natural way of living and providing for our families. I could go on and on, but ladies... I'm wondering if I need to add this to my plate of things I have to do and fight the good fight.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

User Tag List