Don't breastfeed for 24 hours after a drink - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 06-28-2009, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the heels of the "drunken breastfeeding" mom, Fox & Friends weekend had a physician, Dr. Svetlana Kogan (an internist), on this morning who told the anchor that NO amount of alcohol is ever ok when nursing, and that a mother should not breastfeed for 24 hours after her last sip, and that formula is preferable in the interim. It really got me riled. The anchor suggested this was a bit extreme, and said that it differed from what her doctor said. I don't see a video up yet, but I imagine it will be soon.

I emailed the show & asked them to get a physician w/BFing-specific expertise and credentials on to provide accurate information, and sent them the link to the Academy of BFing Medicine. I also emailed the Academy to let them know about the segment.

Perhaps if F&F received other emails, they'd get someone more reasonable on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 44 Old 06-28-2009, 10:50 AM

o for goodness sake. they could have spent that five minutes showing the clip of glenn beck crying that i keep seeing in the movie theatre. equally disturbing but at least he doesn't have a medical degree.
#3 of 44 Old 06-28-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
The anchor suggested this was a bit extreme, and said that it differed from what her doctor said.
I find it funny that even the fox and friends anchor recognized this as bunk.
#4 of 44 Old 06-28-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstress View Post
I find it funny that even the fox and friends anchor recognized this as bunk.
Oh she absolutely did. It seems like she BF her kids, and clearly realized that such an extreme stance would be a real disincentive to BFing. She was trying, in vain, to get a big-picture answer out of the doctor about how to handle this practically speaking - give formula? NEVER, EVER drink? Pump & dump? I was also thinking - BOY, do we have a recipe for plugged ducts & mastitis here or what?!

Also, I think that one issue here is that in some cultures/circles, drinking is pretty much a non-issue. Drinking is frowned upon or just not common for either cultural or religious reasons. But in many, many cultures, alcohol is an important part of socializing, celebrating, and even religious rites, and to essentially say "You can drink OR breastfeed" is definitely going to steer some women to go straight to formula.
#5 of 44 Old 06-28-2009, 02:13 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video0...om/foxfriends/

I think that is the link. You have to scroll down a little and pick the "breasfeeding and drinking" segment...

mummy to one sweet, beautiful, strong, clever, perfect
#6 of 44 Old 06-28-2009, 03:06 PM

Ugh...this makes me want to take a nice shot of tequila right now.

I'm BREASTFEEDING not dead to the world!
#7 of 44 Old 06-28-2009, 05:14 PM

LOL. Just buy some of those milk screening things at the pharmacy!

In my CLC course, they told us that if the mom is feeling the effects of the alcohol, she shouldn't nurse. If she doesn't feel it, she can nurse. So my one half glass of wine (don't get me wrong - it will be a full glass when LO sleeps for longer stretches) after a nursing is doing NOTHING to my baby. TYVM.

How in the world would alcohol remain in your body for 24 hours? That's quite a bender. Reminds me of college...
#8 of 44 Old 06-28-2009, 06:33 PM

OK the "expert" was obviously absurd, but what struck me was the AAP statement. Does that really say alcohol is concentrated in breast milk?

I thought it the level of alcohol in the milk is the same as the blood level or am I misunderstanding the meaning of concentrated here?

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#9 of 44 Old 06-28-2009, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Maybe he really meant you shouldn't put beer into an SNS while breastfeeding... Quite honestly, that's about the only way I can imagine an infant getting drunk from breastfeeding alone.

There are definite dangers to an infant being cared for by a drunk person, but the alcohol content of breastmilk is NOT one of those dangers.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#10 of 44 Old 06-28-2009, 07:57 PM

Here's the LLL FAQ sheet on breastfeeding and alcohol

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/alcohol.html
#11 of 44 Old 06-28-2009, 07:59 PM

Well while you're at it...don't get caught in the acid rain, don't drink tap water, don't eat regular meat from the store, don't wash your clothes w/ regular detergent, don't vaccinate.

oops Now you're a hippy!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#12 of 44 Old 06-28-2009, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am no longer surprised more women don't breastfeed, and I'm becoming more and more surprised that any women at all breastfeed. It's very frustrating seeing breastfeeding made out to be this delicate condition where your baby will be adversely effected by anything that can happen in your life. People can breastfeed and live their lives as normal. That's the best message to get out to increase the numbers of breastfeeding mothers. It isn't something where you have to live in a bubble and never take any medication, be more careful than usual about your diet, never have alcohol, etc. But that's what women think it is. Not women my age (41), and moms didn't seem to think this so much when #1 was a baby. But I am SO seeing it now that I have a bf baby again. Moms say, "Oh, you can take medicine for a headache when your breastfeeding?" YEAH I am not going to suffer with headaches continually while I'm bf. I'd choose formula over that, too. I can't drink because of the headaches, but I know a lot of women who didn't bf or weaned early over that issue too. Or who weaned because they weren't eating well. One mom wasn't sleeping well (uh, she has a new baby!) and weaned because she heard that her milk wouldn't be nutritious enough if she wasn't well rested. Where has all this come from in the past few years? Because it's either a new thing or it's picking up steam.
#13 of 44 Old 06-28-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
I am no longer surprised more women don't breastfeed, and I'm becoming more and more surprised that any women at all breastfeed. It's very frustrating seeing breastfeeding made out to be this delicate condition where your baby will be adversely effected by anything that can happen in your life. People can breastfeed and live their lives as normal. That's the best message to get out to increase the numbers of breastfeeding mothers. It isn't something where you have to live in a bubble and never take any medication, be more careful than usual about your diet, never have alcohol, etc. But that's what women think it is. Not women my age (41), and moms didn't seem to think this so much when #1 was a baby. But I am SO seeing it now that I have a bf baby again. Moms say, "Oh, you can take medicine for a headache when your breastfeeding?" YEAH I am not going to suffer with headaches continually while I'm bf. I'd choose formula over that, too. I can't drink because of the headaches, but I know a lot of women who didn't bf or weaned early over that issue too. Or who weaned because they weren't eating well. One mom wasn't sleeping well (uh, she has a new baby!) and weaned because she heard that her milk wouldn't be nutritious enough if she wasn't well rested. Where has all this come from in the past few years? Because it's either a new thing or it's picking up steam.
My thought is just as the internet has been good for spreading the good things and info about breastfeeding and all that, it also has been used to spread the myths and the "you can't do x and breastfeed" or "my doctor said that you can't do y and breastfeed". Or that it is made out to be so hard and you have to give up your life. If so, yeah, pass the formula-filled bottle.
#14 of 44 Old 06-28-2009, 09:58 PM

Some of it sounds like it could have come out of a formula company marketing meeting. "Yeah, breastfeeding is best. And if you REALLY want to do what's best, you won't drink, or eat junk food, or get dental work done, or take any kind of medicine including OTC, etc., if you're going to breastfeed. Otherwise, you might as well formula feed." Or even in some cases the thought seems to be that you SHOULD. The trace amount of alcohol in breastmilk is worse than the trace amounts of chemicals in formula? Or in my body anyway - I don't eat a perfect organic diet and undoubtably have trace amounts of chemicals in my milk regardless, and probably chemicals that are worse than alcohol, which as far as chemical substances go isn't that bad.
#15 of 44 Old 06-28-2009, 10:44 PM

I'm so glad I dont have TV My husband gets mad that I yell at the radio! Imagine if I had TV!!!

Good thing I have MDC. Otherwise I never would have heard about that stupid youtube video about "Jesus might have been bottle fed, we just dont know"

Placenta eating EC mom to my sweet DS Skyy 08/24/08 and Lotus Birth HBAC DD Aspen 01/13/2010 Healed by her birth
#16 of 44 Old 06-28-2009, 10:50 PM

just feels like more ways to control women.
#17 of 44 Old 06-29-2009, 09:11 AM

Mamazee is right. No wonder women think breastfeeding is too hard.
I was talking to a pregnant colleague who seemed lukewarm about breastfeeding – she said "maybe I'll try it for a few months."
In another conversation I realized that she thought you couldn't drink any alcohol or coffee, take a Tylenol or eat all kinds of different foods while breastfeeding.
The problem is that people are getting all this misinformation – from so called experts to old wives tales – and none of the commonsense BTDT help from other mamas.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#18 of 44 Old 06-29-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudhistbudhist View Post
Otherwise I never would have heard about that stupid youtube video about "Jesus might have been bottle fed, we just dont know"

You don't think his mother put her disgusting breast in that innocent baby's mouth!?

ETA: What does that YouTube lady think was in Jesus' bottles?

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#19 of 44 Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 AM

It is a tricky line to walk. Yes, moms can breastfeed and eat poorly and the baby can be fine, but to be overzealous and gloss over potential consequences in the name of encouraging breastfeeding is not right either. A mom who eats nothing but fast food, chicken fingers, french fries, etc., is going to have repercussions--period, but producing milk for her baby will leach nutrition from her body's stores and could hasten the inevitable illness process.

Generally, mothers need to be responsible and care for their own well being in order to be able to nurture others. Moderate alcohol use--fine. Diet guidelines certainly needn't be as strict as during pregnancy (and yes there are a lot of silly myths out there which need to be broken), but encouraging a healthy, well rounded diet while breastfeeding (as LLL does) is not wrong. Having a baby is an enormous responsibilty--period, and I see no need to cater to the faulty mindset of those who want the job to be as easy as possible on themselves. Breastfeeding (and child rearing) is an effort, one full of obligations & putting the welfare of another person over your own comfort and ease at times--but SO SO worth it on many levels.
#20 of 44 Old 06-29-2009, 10:21 AM

well, for what it's worth, I've read several books/articles on toxins in breastmilk... like pthalates and lead and PCBs... but they all say that breastfeeding is STILL better than formula, despite all that...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#21 of 44 Old 06-29-2009, 10:46 AM

From the LLL page:

"If consuming alcohol while breastfeeding is concerning to you, consider enjoying a non-alcoholic beverage instead. Any drink is more fun with an umbrella in it!"

Snort.

ITA with PPs who feel that such press and word-of-mouth make mother (and the public) feel that breastfeeding is this complex process. It really chaps my patooties when people say that to me, and I get it every time, "Oh guess you can't have alchohol" or "Guess you'll have to pump and dump" etc... I nurse baby on demand and I rarely drink, when I do it is 1 or 2 beverages which is really no big deal to me. See, I'm getting defensive just posting about it....

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#22 of 44 Old 06-29-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
OK the "expert" was obviously absurd, but what struck me was the AAP statement. Does that really say alcohol is concentrated in breast milk?

I thought it the level of alcohol in the milk is the same as the blood level or am I misunderstanding the meaning of concentrated here?

I don't know, because I can't think of any way to understand it that makes sense.

The level of alcohol in BM is the same or lower than the blood concentrations in the mother. Even a very drunk mom won't give a baby a significant amount. And it doesn't concentrate, the levels get lower as the mom's levels do. Of course, if her levels get higher because she is drinking havily, so would the BM levels, but that isn't concentrating.

Where do they get these doctors that give opinions on things they know nothing about? If I was going to go on tv, I'd want to make sure I didn't look like an idiot first.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#23 of 44 Old 06-30-2009, 11:59 AM

i think one of the reasons there is so much wrong and negative info about bfing is b/c IME women who have successfully BF their children (usually for more then 6-9 mos) and women who have worked their butts off battling bfing challenges to nurse at all are more likely to tell a pg woman or a new mom who is considering or trying to bf "thats great, good for you, let me know if you need anything, etc" women who have not tried at all or not bf for more then a few days or weeks are more likely to tell you all the reasons they couldn't bf or hated bfing and why it wasn't worth it... and how every single woman they have ever meet in their lives has had the EXACT SAME PROBLEMS... and all of their kids are fine.

bfing, like natural birthing, is one of those subjects that people love to tell you horror stories about...everyone from your mother to the grocery store check out woman telling you about her best friends sister whose doctor told her she couldn't eat anything but pineapple and carrots while bfing. for some reason it is more acceptable to casually comment to everyone you meet about why you hated birthing and bfing but if you did the same thing about how awesome and wonderful your experiences were people would think your weird.

i also think it is b/c we have this really prevelant and powerful idea in our society that all pain should be avoided if at all possible and if you should only put effort into something you don't get paid for if there is no other alternative.
#24 of 44 Old 06-30-2009, 12:10 PM

:

true dat!

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#25 of 44 Old 07-01-2009, 01:27 AM

to the anchor for telling the guest doctor off.
#26 of 44 Old 07-01-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Maybe he really meant you shouldn't put beer into an SNS while breastfeeding...
I knew I should've read the instructions...

I am however, now picturing a mama with low-supply using an SNS and drinking beer (to boost milk supply) from one of those hats that holds a couple of cans.
#27 of 44 Old 07-01-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I knew I should've read the instructions...

I am however, now picturing a mama with low-supply using an SNS and drinking beer (to boost milk supply) from one of those hats that holds a couple of cans.

this totally made me picture a bunch of toddlers using an sns as a toddler sized beer bong.
#28 of 44 Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 AM

An INTERNIST?

Oh for crying out loud. My husband is a board certifed internist (now specializing in gastroenterology, board certified there too). He has ZERO training in lactation, OB, or pediatrics. An internist has no business spouting off about nursing. A responsible doctor should say somthing like "that is outside my area of expertise. It would be best to consult with your personal physician if you have questions about that topic."
#29 of 44 Old 07-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Banned

Not just any internist. She founded the Doctors and Trump Place. The closest they appear to get to kids is helping people with infertility.

http://www.dtpdoctors.com/about.html

#30 of 44 Old 07-02-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
well, for what it's worth, I've read several books/articles on toxins in breastmilk... like pthalates and lead and PCBs... but they all say that breastfeeding is STILL better than formula, despite all that...
two things:

1. cow's milk still has the same toxins - they live in the same polluted world as humans. additionally, they are fed junk food, and then pumped full of abx & hormones.

2. human milk has the benefits of having mama's antibodies and other protective factors there to buffer the effects of said toxins.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page