Formula Coupons with Diaper Purchase - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-14-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a 2-part vent.

1) We stopped at Kmart yesterday to pick up disposable diapers. (We normally cd, but needed sposies for the day.) When we got in the car I looked in the bag and found a $5 coupon for Enfamil! It was one of the ones that prints with the receipt and is generated based solely on the purchase(s) made. So, every woman that buys disposable diapers from Kmart is getting a coupon for formula?!? Because that isn't going to influence a woman who may be on the fence about bfing.

Especially considering...
2) The coupon is for Enfamil Premium and says: "Supplementing your breastfed baby? Consider... Enfamil Premium (tm) with Triple Health Guard, Our Closest to Breastmilk." : Dh had no idea why I was angry.

Is this normal? Do any other stores give out formula coupons with diaper purchases? (This is the first time I've gotten one, but I have only purchased sposies a few times since dd was born and never from Kmart.) Is there anything I can do about it?

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif
#2 of 8 Old 09-14-2009, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't like the word "supplementing". It feels like there' a connotation to that word that it's better than just bf. Like you're bf PLUS giving this supplement as well.

sup·ple·ment (spl-mnt)
n.
1. Something added to complete a thing, make up for a deficiency, or extend or strengthen the whole.
2. A section added to a book or document to give further information or to correct errors.
#3 of 8 Old 09-14-2009, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, anyway. It's targeting a market. The mom market is the market for diapers and formula. If it were pushed just to moms already formula feeding I guess it wouldn't bother me, but it seems to be pushing to moms who are bf and maybe even encouraging them to "supplement". Again, the word I hate. If I were to complain, I'd complain about how it is specifically marketing to bf moms.

Sorry, I got sidetracked in my last post by that word.
#4 of 8 Old 09-14-2009, 03:34 PM

I got formula coupons at the grocery store after buying ... breastmilk storage bags! and diaper cream. Wonder which purchase triggered the formula coupon :
#5 of 8 Old 09-14-2009, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

mamazee, that's exactly how I felt; like they are saying that breast milk isn't "good enough". If it was *just* a formula coupon, I probably would have just rolled my eyes before throwing it away. But because of the wording, and the fact that it seemed to be directly targeting nursing women (or those thinking about nursing), I became angry.

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif
#6 of 8 Old 09-14-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn08 View Post
mamazee, that's exactly how I felt; like they are saying that breast milk isn't "good enough". If it was *just* a formula coupon, I probably would have just rolled my eyes before throwing it away. But because of the wording, and the fact that it seemed to be directly targeting nursing women (or those thinking about nursing), I became angry.
Same here. They're implying that our milk is just not good enough and we need to give our kids their product in order for them to get proper nutrition. This is an old tactic used during the Cold War to guilt mothers into using formula. Did our boycott do NOTHING?!? This kind of advertising is supposed to be illegal!
#7 of 8 Old 09-14-2009, 09:32 PM

I got a formula coupon at Walgreens after buying a pack of Soothies Nursing Gel Pads for a friend. I was so ticked. I handed the coupon back to the cashier and wrote a letter to Walgreens telling them how disappointed I was in the fact that they are undermining the establishment of breastfeeding relationships, and how the coupons are [pure evil], and that, as long as they offer these coupons to breastfeeding customers, they have lost me as a customer (they likely don't care, but it makes me feel better).
#8 of 8 Old 09-14-2009, 09:37 PM

I got formula advertisements in a box w/ a nursing tank I ordered and had shipped. Like the rest of you, boy was I mad!

Mom to my sweet girls Lily (3/14/05) and Miriam (7/10/08) , wife to Scott.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page