Formula coupons at grocery store check-out? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 11-09-2009, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post
I've gotten them numerous times for buying nursing pads. I bought storage bags and got some. I was VERY appalled when I bought a BREAST PUMP and got a coupon!
I have been having pumping at work issues and last time I bought bags I was really angry and sour at them. (I often get sour at inanimate objects ) In my irrational, tired, over worked head I know that those bags are going to want to be filled. Filled by MY boobies that don't want to cooperate. I am reminded of the dwindling supply of frozen BM that I am burning through at an alarming pace. Then this happy yellow coupon pops out reminding me I could just switch to formula and save myself the heartache.

so yeah, formula catalina coupons undermine breastfeeding.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 53 Old 11-10-2009, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, my whole point in this post is that they're targeting a mom who has never bought formula before. But I've clearly bought baby items, and it might just pop out one day at a frustrated breastfeeding mom, who's going to see it and start thinking that it could just be the answer to her problems.
#33 of 53 Old 11-12-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
If they were concerned about infants and families, formula companies could reduce the price of the formula. Or put a coupon on the formula can. But instead they chose to target all mothers of babies with their insidious promises of sleeping through the night, brain development and immune booster just like in breastmilk. They do this because it works - it undermines breastfeeding and leads to formula use.

Formula companies could follow the WHO code for marketing of breastmilk substitutes if the chose. They just chose not to, and as a society we chose to let them.

This is all very true. However, that doesn't take away from the fact there are parents who really need the formula and the coupons really do help......I give mine away to those people I know need them.

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

#34 of 53 Old 11-12-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Let's keep in mind, please, that this is the Lactivism forum. The focus is on promoting breastfeeding, which is the frame for this conversation. It's not about recycling or how the coupons might help moms who formula feed, for whatever reason. It's about if/how these coupons undermine breastfeeding.
I'm going to engage in the ultimate form of internet hubris and quote myself.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#35 of 53 Old 11-13-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo7 View Post
This is all very true. However, that doesn't take away from the fact there are parents who really need the formula and the coupons really do help......I give mine away to those people I know need them.
Yes, and those people will have bought formula in the past (even just one can), which makes the coupons acceptable. However, for a mother who has never bought formula, it's really insidious to be giving her coupons for a product she has expressed no interest in.
#36 of 53 Old 11-13-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Let's keep in mind, please, that this is the Lactivism forum. The focus is on promoting breastfeeding, which is the frame for this conversation. It's not about recycling or how the coupons might help moms who formula feed, for whatever reason. It's about if/how these coupons undermine breastfeeding.

Okay. I don't think that they do. If someone is determined to BF, a few coupons are not going to stop them. And like it or not, people do use formula for one reason or another. It is what it is, at least at this time, so I say, give them to someone who will use them.
#37 of 53 Old 11-13-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle View Post
[/B]

Okay. I don't think that they do. If someone is determined to BF, a few coupons are not going to stop them. And like it or not, people do use formula for one reason or another. It is what it is, at least at this time, so I say, give them to someone who will use them.
The key word here is "determined". It does undermine bf for someone who is not all that determined. Therefore, it undermines bf.
#38 of 53 Old 11-13-2009, 12:44 PM

I think it undermines bfing. When newbie was around 2 wks he had a night where he nursed for almost 4 straight hours, off and on the breast, switching sides, screaming when not latched on. I came out of the bedroom and told my dh that I thought we needed to go get some formula cause something was wrong. He said "isn't that expensive? do you still have those coupons that you got?" And, honestly, if we hadn't been dead broke and the coupons had been trashed and I wasn't sooooo determined, I would have sent him out for it. And, honestly, I think it would have been the beginning of the end of our bfing. Instead, I worked through it with the help of you ladies in the bfing forum and we are going strong at almost 10wks.
Now, when those coupons print out I hand them back to the cashier and tell her to pass it along to someone who needs it. My baby is breastfed.
#39 of 53 Old 11-13-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
[/B]

Maybe if they are seriously determined but research has shown that coupons and samples can destroy breastfeeding relationships. Even when the mother WANTS to breastfeed.
#40 of 53 Old 11-13-2009, 07:58 PM

Another thing about the "if you're determined . . ." argument. If you're determined enough you'd breastfeed even if the formula company sent free formula AND a formula company representative to mix it, get it to the right temperature, hand it to you when the baby's hungry, AND wake up to feed the baby in the middle of the night so you could sleep. But it would certainly undermine breastfeeding if formula companies did that for new moms. Just because something can be overcome doesn't mean it doesn't lead to some moms not breastfeeding who otherwise would.
#41 of 53 Old 11-14-2009, 02:05 PM

why can't we get coupons for breast pads linked with breastpad purchases? or coupons for dapers, if that's what we're buying? why FORMULA?

Come ponder with me about food!
#42 of 53 Old 11-14-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post
why can't we get coupons for breast pads linked with breastpad purchases? or coupons for dapers, if that's what we're buying? why FORMULA?
They see us as an untapped market. We have babies who aren't (as they see it, yet) using formula and obviously haven't chosen a favorite brand.
#43 of 53 Old 11-15-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
Totally against the WHO code.
Need I remind you that the United States neglected to sign on to the WHO code (oh gee, I wonder why)?
#44 of 53 Old 11-15-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarai View Post
Need I remind you that the United States neglected to sign on to the WHO code (oh gee, I wonder why)?
Just because the USA didn't sign it doesn't mean that they shouldn't still be held to that standard. They haven't signed (ratified) the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child either - doesn't mean that the USA shouldn't be following it!
#45 of 53 Old 11-15-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
[/B]

So NOT true. I wanted to breastfeed SOOO bady...but my nipples were bleeding and cracked and there wasn't much help available in the town I lived in almost 14 years ago. No one to tell me that my skin would become accustomed if I could tought it out. Everything I had said that if it hurt I was doing it wrong. This was NOT true. My skin was chapped and cracked and bleeding, it had NOTHING to do with improper latch or techique. We had a box of free formula samples and coupons that we'd been sent. So I caved and gave them to her to give my nips time to heal. Within a day she was refusing the breast. I couldn't get her back on. I'd been sabataged by Ross Pediatrics.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#46 of 53 Old 11-15-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
So NOT true. I wanted to breastfeed SOOO bady...but my nipples were bleeding and cracked and there wasn't much help available in the town I lived in almost 14 years ago. No one to tell me that my skin would become accustomed if I could tought it out. Everything I had said that if it hurt I was doing it wrong. This was NOT true. My skin was chapped and cracked and bleeding, it had NOTHING to do with improper latch or techique. We had a box of free formula samples and coupons that we'd been sent. So I caved and gave them to her to give my nips time to heal. Within a day she was refusing the breast. I couldn't get her back on. I'd been sabataged by Ross Pediatrics.
#47 of 53 Old 11-15-2009, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We all know there are women who need to use formula for a variety of reasons. My heart goes out to any MDC mama who desperately wants to breastfeed but can't, or who needs to supplement.

But, if formula companies didn't spend so much money on advertising, they'd be able to sell formula more cheaply. Those moms (and dads, and foster parents, etc.) who truly need to use formula would spend less money on it if the companies didn't market like this. Even moms who formula feed by choice would benefit financially if formula companies didn't spend money on advertising. NOBODY benefits from formula marketing except for formula companies!

What I'm not sure about, though is who is responsible for these check-out coupons. Is it the check-out coupon company (COCC)or the formula company (FC)? It could be that the COCC has a few general categories for products, and "baby" is one of them. If that's the case, then it's the COCC who's responsible, if the FC just wants to market to those who buy "baby" products. But, if the COCC lets companies choose which items to link to their products, and the FC chooses to select breastfeeding supplies for their coupons, then the FC is at fault.

I routinely get check-out coupons for products I'd never use, and I can't always figure out what products I purchased is connected to the coupon. Why did I get a coupon for Lactaid milk? Is it because I regularly purchase the store brand milk? Because I occasionally buy rice milk at that store? I can't figure it out. I do know, however, that they link to products I buy with my store card, and the coupons that print up are connected to my overall shopping habits, not just what I purchased that time.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#48 of 53 Old 11-17-2009, 05:43 AM

#49 of 53 Old 11-18-2009, 04:42 PM

I do not think that the register coupons undermine breastfeeding in any meaningful way. The free samples/coupons onslaught that new mothers get hit with as a whole probably does, but this particular issue seems fairly minor to me.

Of course a company- whether it is the formula manufacturer or the coupon printer- is going to target an untapped market. We do live in a capitalist nation, and these corporations have a responsibility to their shareholders to be as profitable as possible!

As deeply as I support breastfeeding, I can't condemn any organization that exists for no other reason than to make money for attempting to make a little more money.

Feeding a kindergartener a breakfast cereal that is as much as 44% sugar every day may literally lead to his/her developing diabetes, being unable to fight off the flu, developing learning problems... things that may be as damaging as formula feeding, but no one is shrieking that they got a Count Chocula coupon after they bought steel cut oats at the grocery store. This is the society that we live in, and it is our own responsibility to not fall prey to advertising for things that aren't good for us!

My energy is better spent helping to change the environment that makes women uncomfortable with nursing freely, and ignorant of how to tackle the problems that happen in the early days. We should be fighting for better maternity leave, rather than bashing our heads against the brick wall that is a basic tenet of the American existence- everyone trying to make as much $$ as possible.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#50 of 53 Old 11-18-2009, 05:50 PM

I get them at Target. A lot. I bought Lansinoh pads there and Earth Best baby food (I know I know). They give me coupons for formula and Pampers and I always hand them to the cashier with a smile: no thank you. We breastfeed and use cloth diapers." I have never gotten a bad response.
I do get them for Safeway brand formula/diapers/wipes at Safeway, self checkout when buying baby food or yobaby.
I'm not offended at the Safeway one, I just toss them, but Target bugs me as they give me formula coupons when I purchase breastfeeding items. That does undermine breastfeeding and is just wrong and a nuisance.
#51 of 53 Old 11-18-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueone View Post
I doesn't annoy me. There are people out there who have legitimate reasons for using formula and I'm sure they appreciate it if it's a formula they are using.
Yeah that...I've seen a friend struggle with breastfeeding, left hanging by her midwife and LLL. She ended up giving formula after an 8week struggle.

those coupons wouldn't annoy me...I've never gotten them though. Not at Walmart nor Target or anywhere else.

joy.gif
#52 of 53 Old 11-19-2009, 01:19 PM

Formula coupons don't bother me if they're targeting just plain old baby purchases, but we're talking about formula coupons that are printed when someone purchases breast pads or breast milk storage bags. If they want to help moms who use formula, they could just attach a coupon to their formula. But that's not the purpose of these coupons.
#53 of 53 Old 11-19-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post

What I'm not sure about, though is who is responsible for these check-out coupons. Is it the check-out coupon company (COCC)or the formula company (FC)? It could be that the COCC has a few general categories for products, and "baby" is one of them. If that's the case, then it's the COCC who's responsible, if the FC just wants to market to those who buy "baby" products. But, if the COCC lets companies choose which items to link to their products, and the FC chooses to select breastfeeding supplies for their coupons, then the FC is at fault.

I routinely get check-out coupons for products I'd never use, and I can't always figure out what products I purchased is connected to the coupon. Why did I get a coupon for Lactaid milk? Is it because I regularly purchase the store brand milk? Because I occasionally buy rice milk at that store? I can't figure it out. I do know, however, that they link to products I buy with my store card, and the coupons that print up are connected to my overall shopping habits, not just what I purchased that time.
I used to work at a large consumer packaged goods company and this is how is was explained to me: The coupons are distributed through a company called Catalina Marketing, but the coupons are manufacturer coupons (just like you would find in the newspaper). The coupons are often referred to as "catalinas" or "catalina coupons". The manufacturer has set certain parameters for when their coupon will print, usually when you purchase (or have a history of purchasing) a competing product. They can also print if there's a promotion of if you buy X quantity of an item, you will receive $X amount off your next purchase.

If you buy Huggies diapers, you might get a catalina for Pampers. If you buy Heinz 57, you might get a coupon for A1. I've received catalinas for formula just b/c I bought newborn sized diapers (my only baby related purchase at that time). Yes, they are targeting people who are more likely to purchase that product (whether it's formula, steak sauce, frozen meals, shampoo, or anything else). Formula is certainly different from steak sauce, and I don't agree with them printing just b/c a person bought diapers (or breastmilk bags).

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page