WIC and Breastfeeding campaign - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 11-15-2009, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yup - i thought the amount of food given was ridiclous. And tht it is jarred food. I would much prefer the fruit/veggie vouchers.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#32 of 39 Old 11-15-2009, 11:32 AM

ok, so I am not alone. My dd has never had a jar of baby food. It is expensive and she likes to feed herself so I just feed her off of hte table. She was almost 9 months old when we started solids so baby food wasn't really necessary. Since she has only been on solids for about 2 months she eats about 2x a day and still nurses on demand every couple of hours. Luckily she will only be on this package for 2 months so I won't have to be creative for too long. I was thinking of getting the plastic containers of fruit and sending them like applesauce in my kids lunches. Any ideas of what to do w/ the meat baby food, I think it is 80 oz we do eat meat so we could add it to soups or stews.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#33 of 39 Old 11-15-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post
We just received our new WIC package and my dd is 10months old and breastfeeding. She gets close to 300 0z of baby food. I asked them what on earth we would do with that much baby food. They told me that since she "should" only be nursing a couple of times a day that she needs that much solids, especially meat. Of course she should be nursing more than a couple of times a day and is still getting tons of nutrition from my breast milk. Do you think this new package will undermine breastfeeding by encouraging mothers to feed more solids and therefore nurse less?
Absolutely, my baby would be too full to nurse if I gave him all that food. It breaks down to something like 2 jars of fruit/vegetables, 1 jar meat and 2 servings of cereal per day. My counselor was real nice about it when I told her that the baby was on table food. She told me that she couldn't change the package but to just donate all the jars.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#34 of 39 Old 11-15-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carita View Post
yup - i thought the amount of food given was ridiclous. And tht it is jarred food. I would much prefer the fruit/veggie vouchers.

(I get a lot of pureed fruit and use it in place of oil in baked goods, though)
#35 of 39 Old 11-15-2009, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post
We just received our new WIC package and my dd is 10months old and breastfeeding. She gets close to 300 0z of baby food. I asked them what on earth we would do with that much baby food. They told me that since she "should" only be nursing a couple of times a day that she needs that much solids, especially meat. Of course she should be nursing more than a couple of times a day and is still getting tons of nutrition from my breast milk. Do you think this new package will undermine breastfeeding by encouraging mothers to feed more solids and therefore nurse less?
I know the amount of jarred food you get is way out of line. I think I saw that it was something like 92 jars for a breastfed baby. But if you look at it as 1 jar a meal (so 3 jars a day) that is a months worth, on average.

I think on formula they get like 36 jars.

I wont know for sure on the older kids, until we have our appt. and not for sure on the baby for almost a year.

I am not sure if it will undermine BF'ign or not. I know in the early days of solid introduction that is way too much as I would go through maybe 1 jar every 3 days of the stage 1 stuff. It has been 6 years since I have used jarred foods.
#36 of 39 Old 11-22-2009, 12:50 AM

The local WIC office near me is great. I wasnt even on WIC when I had number 3 but the LC at the office constantly called me to simply chat or give advice (not sure how she knew I delivered though, but I'm thinking it is linked through my birth center?).

I think it is neat that breastfed babies get 3 times the amount of baby food jars than FF babies get.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#37 of 39 Old 11-22-2009, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They've changed it in Utah too, but I don't feel that they're really breastfeeding friendly. I recently quit the program because of this. At my last appointment the lady told me "She's doing so well for being exclusively breastfed!" and that was it. I did a post on my blog about all of my reasons why I quit WIC. http://theadventuresoflactatinggirl....oycotting-wic/

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#38 of 39 Old 11-22-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodygumdrops View Post
Kind of off topic to the thread but...

Just an fyi. I am training to be an IBCLC and I just completed my CLC course this past week. New research has shown us that there is no significance to foremilk or hindmilk in terms of fat content. Babies receive a varying degree of fat through out the feeding. Also, we are now recommending that babies feed for a total of 20 minutes, including both sides. This does not account for non-nutritive sucking. It is recommended that you start feeding the baby on one breast and when the baby has emptied the breast(which should take about 10 minutes) then switch to the other breast if the baby is still showing feeding cues. Most babies are not going to remain at the breast unless they are not emptying it well and if that is the case, you should be assessed by an IBCLC.
This seems like not just bad but dangerous criteria.

It takes longer than ten minutes to feed most newborns.

switching sides in the begining is problematic.

Setting a time limit of 20 minutes is just dangerous.

And lastly, what is wrong with non-nutritive suckling. Babies love the breast for more than just the milk.

Mama to 8 little ones by birth and adoption. S 14, E 12, G 10, C 9, K 7, N 6, R 5, Ch 3 and baby T 9 months

#39 of 39 Old 11-24-2009, 09:39 AM

Miriam
Mom to two daughters born in 1997 and 2000

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page