Frustrating formula coupon language - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone-

Sorry if this has already been posted, I haven't been on here for a while. Today at Kroger I got one of those formula coupons printed w/ my receipt. I found the language on this coupon to be particularly infuriating, it says: "Thinking of supplementing your breastfed baby? consider Enfamil Premium." I'm sure Enfamil is well aware that encouraging a breastfeeding mom to supplement can damage her supply and force her to use formula full time...grrrr....

Mom to my sweet girls Lily (3/14/05) and Miriam (7/10/08) , wife to Scott.
#2 of 18 Old 01-01-2010, 11:51 PM

That is absolutely ridiculous! I don't want to believe that a store would deliberately sabotage breastfeeding mothers, but unfortunately I know better :cry

Jessica , wife to L (8-5-05), Mama to H (9-18-09)
Regretting our decision to circ after complications that could have killed our baby boy!
#3 of 18 Old 01-02-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperaDiva View Post

I really dislike formula companies. IMO their marketing techniques are right up there with big tobacco. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
#4 of 18 Old 01-02-2010, 01:13 AM

Oh boy, you want to hear what else Enfamil does? Take 2 women and have them both go their website to sign up for promos and such. 1 woman puts down that she plans to formula feed, the other that she plans to breastfeed.

Who do you think Enfamil sends tons of coupons and free samples to and who gets none?

It's maddening.

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#5 of 18 Old 01-02-2010, 03:43 AM

I just got that same coupon at Walgreen's today! They show a picture of a woman in a lab coat on it as well, I guess to make it appear like it's something doctors would recommend. I don't think it's the store, I think it's the manufacturers that dictate what a coupon says. Doesn't this go against some sort of code? It seemed to me like the coupon was directly discouraging breastfeeding (since I'm assuming they're hoping the decision to supplement will result in full formula feeding since the milk supply will be hurt.)

Mom to a 2.5 girlie and a new one in late February/early March
#6 of 18 Old 01-02-2010, 03:54 AM

I just handed one back this evening at Kroger. I hand ALL register receipts right back to the checkout clerk and politely ask them to throw it away. Primarily because of the formula coupons (and also because I dislike extra paper in my life).

ETA - I'm sure the reason I get the formula coupons is because I buy breast pads at Kroger. Once in a blue moon I buy a pack of diapers or wipes. Other than that, no baby products.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#7 of 18 Old 01-02-2010, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I dropped the F bomb in the check out lane when I got that one I didn't mean to. It disgusted me, I normally give them away or leave them on the cans but I crumpled that one up. It maddens me.

I know that there are women that can supplement and breast feed, but that seems like something that you would talk to your LC about before you start.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#8 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 01:20 PM

I received that one at Walgreens, too, when I was picking up a prescription for myself and my 7 month old!

I'm SURE the reason they printed the $5 off (how tempting) is because a week prior I picked up pumping bags.

I went to the Walgreens response website and wrote them a complaint. So far, I've received no response.
#9 of 18 Old 01-04-2010, 02:35 AM

I once got such a coupon when I purchased an Avent breastpump at Meijer's (Grand Rapids, MI). It sure makes you wonder...

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#10 of 18 Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 PM

This frustrates me to no end. I posted about it a couple of months back (the post isn't too far back from here if you want to look it up). Some people explained how it works, and it's a coupon service instead of the store (I got the exact same coupon in Kroger...did yours say something about giving them the best immunity, brain development, etc?). It's still incredibly infuriating. It was because I bought a pack of diapers. I get them all the time now, and have not bought anything baby-related since then.

I imagine the effect it could have on a breastfeeding mom who's struggling, and that frustrates me to no end. They make it seem so easy to just go on and pick up a can (which they also make seem is just as good as breastmilk anyway).
#11 of 18 Old 01-05-2010, 01:08 PM

I got 2 and all I bought was a teether and some jarred prunes! I take them to church leave them in the nursery.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#12 of 18 Old 01-05-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

My coupon mentioned the brain developement and everything. I can't figure out why I even got it, I don't buy baby stuff at Kroger. I bought yogurt and cereal when I got the coupon. I guess the most frustrating thing about formula advertising that crosses the line is that it there never seems like anything I can really do about it. Sure, I've written letters and called and complained when I've gotten things like free formula samples or been put on a mailing list, but from what I can tell, what ever actions I take make very little difference.

#13 of 18 Old 01-05-2010, 01:17 PM

Wow, I need to post a follow up.

I made a complaint through Walgreens website. Though it did take them a few days to get back to me (totally understandable), I just received a phone call from the local pharmacist.

She said that as a breastfeeding mother herself, she thought the language on that coupon was totally distasteful. She will be bringing the concern to the district manager, who I guess works with the marketing company.

She asked if I used a credit card to buy the breastmilk bags, and I said yes. She said that is how it is linked. She, too, thought it was terrible that they are marketing these formula coupons specifically to those who they know are breastfeeding.

It pays to write a tasteful, well thought-out complaint. It might get in the hands of somebody who totally "gets it."
#14 of 18 Old 01-05-2010, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

FeminineFigure: That's so great to hear! It makes me hopeful that we can make a difference....

#15 of 18 Old 01-05-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeminineFigure View Post
Wow, I need to post a follow up.

I made a complaint through Walgreens website. Though it did take them a few days to get back to me (totally understandable), I just received a phone call from the local pharmacist.

She said that as a breastfeeding mother herself, she thought the language on that coupon was totally distasteful. She will be bringing the concern to the district manager, who I guess works with the marketing company.

She asked if I used a credit card to buy the breastmilk bags, and I said yes. She said that is how it is linked. She, too, thought it was terrible that they are marketing these formula coupons specifically to those who they know are breastfeeding.

It pays to write a tasteful, well thought-out complaint. It might get in the hands of somebody who totally "gets it."
Wow! That's awesome! Way to go Mama!
#16 of 18 Old 01-08-2010, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
way to go! I have found that the health clinic or the pharmacy is always the best place to nurse! They are 90% of the time women and ALWAYS totally thrilled to hear that you are breastfeeding and more than willing to roll out the comfy chair for you!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#17 of 18 Old 01-11-2010, 10:20 AM

When I used to buy the lansinoh breastmilk bags at Kroger, it never failed that I'd get that coupon for enfamil. Never made any sense to me.

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
#18 of 18 Old 01-11-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefaery View Post
Doesn't this go against some sort of code?
Oh yes, it's very much against the WHO International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes. Unfortunately, I believe the US is not one of the 65 countries which have incorporated the code into law .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page