Medela further violating WHO code - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2010, 02:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlygirls View Post
I work for WIC and the contract for our region is with Medela for pumps. In their hand pumps, they had coupons for their bottles and we had to remove them before issuing the pump to a client because of the WHO violation.
See that make no sence to me

why would a coupon IN the box for bottles for the PUMP be a bad thing? I would be glad for those coupons since bottles do eventually need to be replaced.

I would rather spend the money on Medela bottles, that have BF encouragment right on the bottle, and fit the pump then some other brand, Those bottles are not cheap so most end up having to use cheap ones.

Thats not advertisment that I would see as offensive, since its replacement bottles AND its IN the box WITH the pump.

Kimberly : momma to Karrigan Kayla : and wife of Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 04:35 PM

As a mom who went back to work after a 12 week maternity leave, I am very grateful for my medela PIS and my medela bottles that were BPA free to store my breastmilk in. Not everyone CAN or WANTS to exclusively breastfeed from the breast. Exclusivley feeding ones child breastmilk whatever the feeding source may be should be a goal for all women. I would much rather have medela be marketing to pregnant moms and new moms then all the formula crap that you get in the hospital.

Social Worker Mom to a fantastic four year old nocirc.gif
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut
Never put a period where God has put a comma!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It makes sense that bottles and pumps would go together. Especially for working moms, who are leaving breastmilk with a childcare provider. I think it's great that Medela promotes pumping and giving babies human milk rather than artificial milk when nursing isn't an option.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 04-12-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix23 View Post
But babies don't use the bottles attatched to the pump, they need nipples, and not allowing that to be shown is implying that bottle feeding is a bad thing. It's like saying you can breastfeed, but cover up so we don't have to see it. The WHO is saying, you can sell bottles, but try and keep it as covered up as possible. Don't advertise it, only show pictures of them attatched to a pump, not put together with a nipple or actually being used to feed a baby. Like the bottle with a nipple is something to be ashamed of, something not to be shown.

I know no one here wrote the WHO! And I actually think I already had this exact same argument here a couple months ago and it never really went anywhere, so I'm going to drop out because my goal this year was to spend less time online.
This.

And although this is clearly not the intent of the WHO code, this is clearly how many pumping mothers feel when reading the defense of this particular aspect of the code. I remember a similar thread a year or so ago (?) in reference to a Medela video (I think - it's been quite a looong time, lol), and all I got was an unmoving "We support the WHO code." Well, okay, I get that. But supporting the code that doesn't mean that one can't look at something (even the code) through a different lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix23 View Post
It may have not been intended to attack people who bottlefeed, but the end result of how they have written it is that it does attack pumping and bottlefeeding mothers.
I don't think the *code* does the attacking, but I think that bottle feeding mothers feel that way at times through the way they read the code and through the reactions of others *to* the code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I have to say, I hadnt realized the implications of the whole Maven thing until now. Now every time I read a post of someone praising Medela, I have to wonder-- are they a Maven? are they being compensated in some way for this post? are they linking to this thread on another board to show how they talked up Medela? And it feels really, really creepy. I don't know that it's a WHO Code violation, but it's leaving me feel extremely mistrustful right now.
But they can't ID themselves, correct? So that's kind of unfair to those of us who love Medela and post as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Dawn View Post
Actually, they are awesome about replacing broken pump parts or SNS parts free, so I think that's kind of passing savings on to the consumer. A month ago I called them because my Symphony tubing broke and I only had one working side and I couldn't find a store that sold just the tubing without the rest of the pump kit. Not only did they send it to me free, they overnight shipped it! Granted, that's not "passing savings on" in the sense that, say, lowering pump prices would be. But still, they did not have to do that for free!

Given the concerns people have expressed about stealth marketing, I now feel I need to add that I am *not* being given any goodies by Medela for saying that, and I have no association with them. I promise. I am just a random pumping mom who has been impressed with them.
Yeah, well...

I have been pumping for SEVEN years. I had an original PIS with the clear diaphragm cover, and now I have the second generation original PIS with the yellow diaphragm cover. So I guess I have a PIS(-A). Recently, all of my power supplies for it broke. At once. The battery pack, the car charger, and the AC adapter. Sadly, the new PISA is a 9v and not a 12v, so the new accessories won't work. I called BRU (useless) about replacement parts and was told that they were no longer being made and that I would need to upgrade my perfectly fine pump. Huh. I called Medela and was told that although the parts are on the website, they are hard to find, so I might be better off buying a new, better pump (double huh).

I found the replacement adapters on Ebay and had one overnighted. Color me very unimpressed.

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:41 PM

Honest question: How is Medela supposed to make any money and stay in business if they don't market their product? How are they supposed to compete with formula feeding in a continent where breastfeeding is simply is not the norm?

Until WHO code is enforced and made law, there's no way I'm going to speak negatively of Medela in any way. Unless this happens, they really don't have a chance. The playing field is far from level.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinhead View Post
Honest question: How is Medela supposed to make any money and stay in business if they don't market their product? How are they supposed to compete with formula feeding in a continent where breastfeeding is simply is not the norm?

Until WHO code is enforced and made law, there's no way I'm going to speak negatively of Medela in any way. Unless this happens, they really don't have a chance. The playing field is far from level.
Pumps are not covered under the WHO code. Medela could run pump commercials every hour of the day and remain code-compliant. Medela can also sell bottles and remain code-compliant.

The issue is with their marketing of bottles/nipples, which they have elected to promote and advertise completely separately from their pumps. I've recently been seeing Medela google smart ads for bottles - one wouldn't even know that they are a breastpump company from these ads.

Do we really need more bottle marketing? Is there anyone out there who isn't aware of the fact that baby bottles exist? Images of pretty moms bottlefeeding their babies don't help to normalize breastfeeding in our society. I don't think it's asking a lot for a supposedly pro-breastfeeding company with a near monopoly on the market to respect basic ethical standards in their advertising.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:20 PM

I'd imagine there isn't a huge lot of money in breastpump sales alone. If marketing bottles and nipples is what they have to do to stay afloat in this economy, I fully support them. There's not much use in pumping breast milk if you don't have a delivery method for said milk.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:22 PM

And with formula companies now producing and marketing breast pumps, they hardly have a monopoly. Lets not forget Ameda, Avent, Gerber and the like.

User Tag List