Any NON-WHO violating formula companies? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2010, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopesmommy View Post
I think that Baby's Only may be WHO compliant, unless I missed something. They are labeled as a toddler formula simply because they believe that breastmilk is the ideal choice before 12 months. It can still be used for infants if needed.
Sorry, I don't believe that for an instant. If they don't market it to infants, then why isn't it called "Toddler's Only" or something? Why are their infants all over their website. I think there's some reason why they choose not to label it for infants, likely some reason associated with costs to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=tinyactsofcharity;15113293]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post

Yes, banked milk can be cost-prohibitive but banked milk is not the only donor milk that is available.
My point was that its not always avalible to a parent. There was non avalible for us with DD#1 so we used formula. When your in that situation there is no real choice. Its FF or the baby doesn't eat.

Kimberly : momma to Karrigan Kayla : and wife of Kevin
Old 02-25-2010, 11:20 AM

Good gracious!
I was just pointing out that if someone asked me about formula, I would ask them if they had tried to find donor milk yet.
MilkShare milk (just an example) is FREE. The only cost is shipping. Last time I checked, there were many mamas looking to donate considerable amounts of milk. And priority shipping is available all over the US (making dry ice not even necessary in most cases). If you live in Canada, you could try to find someone in Canada to ship.
My point is, breastmilk banks are NOT the only sources of donor milk! That's such a misconception.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 02-25-2010, 02:14 PM

not everyone is comfortable with accepting milk for their babies of essentially unknown provenance. You don't know everything the donor took (blood tests are only a snapshot), and you don't know how the milk was handled. And unlike milkbank milk, the milk itself has not been screened.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
Old 02-25-2010, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're getting a little off-topic. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but since Lactivism is a fairly specialized forum to begin with, I am going to ask that those who wish to discuss donor milk, when to recommend it, its safety, etc, please start a new thread in the general breastfeeding forum, and that this thread please be used to answer the OP's questions about the WHO-code and formula advertising. Any further off-topic posting will be removed.

Thanks!
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 02-25-2010, 04:17 PM

Sorry

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 02-25-2010, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No problem! I know conversations tend to meander. We're just trying to keep the thread/forum on topic.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 02-27-2010, 03:34 AM

What about some store brands? I hope that's not a dumb question.

For example, there's a store called Wegman's in my region (NY and PA) which sells an organic formula. No pictures of any sort of the can, never advertised as far as I know.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanine123 View Post
Do you have a link to this exclusion? Or could you point me in the right direction to find it? I've heard it before but when I went looking for it last week I came up empty, though it could have been because I was using the wrong search terms or just didn't have enough time. I'd love to have this info for future use, thanks!!
From the Baby Milk Action website:
Quote:
Protecting babies fed on formula

Breastmilk substitutes are legitimate products for when a child is not breastfed and does not have access to expressed or donor breastmilk. Companies should comply with composition and labelling requirements and other Code requirements to reduce risks - independently of government measures. Parents have a right to accurate, independent information.

Baby Milk Action is not anti-baby milk. Our work protects all mothers and infants from irresponsible marketing.
This page:
http://www.babymilkaction.org/resour...yqacode03.html

also talks about what I mentioned in my previous post.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
Old 02-28-2010, 02:29 AM
Banned

Awesome, thanks!

User Tag List