Any NON-WHO violating formula companies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 02-23-2010, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious: Are there any formula companies that the Mothering lactivist community would recommend? Any that are NOT violators of the WHO code of marketing?

FWIW, my 11 month old (today!) has never had any nipple in his mouth but a human one, nor any milk but mine. I'm asking for two reasons:

1. A few of my acquaintances do supplement or formula feed. If it comes up in conversation, I'd like to be able to mention the "ethical" brands of formula.

2. So many formula companies make a million other baby products. I try to avoid those made by Nestle/Gerber, Carnation, etc. Are there any large companies that SHOULDN'T be on my "bad list"? (Side note: I'm in 100% support of shopping at thrift stores and buying local-made, handmade items. But for those rare occasions when we seem to "need" a commercial product. . ?)

Thanks so much!
#2 of 40 Old 02-23-2010, 03:35 PM

I know for me it'd have to be some rare circumstance in which I'd actually recommend formula. I'd offer them pumped milk instead. I'm not a WHO code violator lol!

Gina ~
mommy to E & K and #3 due 7/2011homebirth.jpg
#3 of 40 Old 02-23-2010, 04:26 PM

what about simulac? ive been using it since birth, cj was a nicu baby and recieved it. i dont find the marketing too misleading or "shove down your throat" i still use it sometimes now. my naturopath reccommends nutramigen which is enfamil if one must use formula, its expensive but non cow-milk based

Shawna young single liquid gold feedin intactlactivist co-sleepin mama to my mixed baby boy Carter Jesse (aug 26th 09)
#4 of 40 Old 02-23-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter'sMummy View Post
what about simulac?
At least in Canada, Similac's products have babies on the can/label. That's a WHO code violation. Also I think they send out formula samples to doctor's offices - another code violation.
#5 of 40 Old 02-23-2010, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, and Similac is also mentioned as a violator here:
http://www.phdinparenting.com/2009/05/04/sabotage/

CrunchyGina, I should have phrased my first line of my post differently--I wouldn't recommend formula either! I hope the rest of my post was more clear about what I was getting at.
#6 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 02:28 AM

i don't think there are any commercially prepared formulas in the u.s. that do not advertise. even the parent's choice brand is put in the wal-mart ads for baby week.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#7 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 03:08 AM

what about this one?

http://www.naturesone.com/dairy/

Married to my DH geek.gif and Mom to DS (10) fencing.gif DS (9), DD (4) dust.gif, DS (2) diaper.gif and  stork-girl.gif in June.

#8 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Elecare. No babies on the can. It's an elemental medical food for kids with severe GI problems and food allergies. There is no baby pics on Neocate either. I never even heard of these until my dd was a year old.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#9 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyGina View Post
I know for me it'd have to be some rare circumstance in which I'd actually recommend formula. I'd offer them pumped milk instead. I'm not a WHO code violator lol!
Pumped milk isn't a viable option for most. There just simply isn't a free-flowing source of sufficient, tested, available donor milk enough for 99.9% of moms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter'sMummy View Post
what about simulac? ive been using it since birth, cj was a nicu baby and recieved it. i dont find the marketing too misleading or "shove down your throat" i still use it sometimes now. my naturopath reccommends nutramigen which is enfamil if one must use formula, its expensive but non cow-milk based
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailey's mom View Post
Elecare. No babies on the can. It's an elemental medical food for kids with severe GI problems and food allergies. There is no baby pics on Neocate either. I never even heard of these until my dd was a year old.
Nutramigen, Neocate, and Elecare are specialized formulas that shouldn't be used without a doctor's recommendation.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#10 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbeachy View Post
I'm curious: Are there any formula companies that the Mothering lactivist community would recommend? Any that are NOT violators of the WHO code of marketing?

FWIW, my 11 month old (today!) has never had any nipple in his mouth but a human one, nor any milk but mine. I'm asking for two reasons:

1. A few of my acquaintances do supplement or formula feed. If it comes up in conversation, I'd like to be able to mention the "ethical" brands of formula.

2. So many formula companies make a million other baby products. I try to avoid those made by Nestle/Gerber, Carnation, etc. Are there any large companies that SHOULDN'T be on my "bad list"? (Side note: I'm in 100% support of shopping at thrift stores and buying local-made, handmade items. But for those rare occasions when we seem to "need" a commercial product. . ?)

Thanks so much!
While this is a great idea in theory, it just doesn't work for formula. Some babies can only tolerate a certain formula. Some babies can only tolerate Nestlé good start for example, but giving the baby another formula which can cause gastic discomfort or distress in the name of "ethics" is....kinda cruel. As for the Nestlé boycott, yes, all their products are boycotted except their formula, because a baby has to eat, even if it's Nestlé.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#11 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equuskia View Post
While this is a great idea in theory, it just doesn't work for formula. Some babies can only tolerate a certain formula. Some babies can only tolerate Nestlé good start for example, but giving the baby another formula which can cause gastic discomfort or distress in the name of "ethics" is....kinda cruel. As for the Nestlé boycott, yes, all their products are boycotted except their formula, because a baby has to eat, even if it's Nestlé.
This was us. I was the most ardent Nestle boycott supporter... until my milk unexpectedly dried up (even with the work of multiple IBCLC & my midwife, medications, acupuncture, I could go on and on - it was horrific) and the only formula my dd would tolerate was Good Start.

It was at the point where I'd be crying while making bottles because the thought of feeding her something that wasn't human milk was killing me - and the fact that it was made by Nestle was like a stick in the eye.

Anyway, I have no good advice here. Only that for some people, the reach for a can of whatever formula, is often a last resort.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#12 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 12:15 PM

reading this thread made me very curious...what would the WHO reccommend...well I found this:

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publication...9241562218.pdf

here is what it says on the matter:

Quote:
For infants who do not receive breast milk, feeding with a suitable
breast-milk substitute – for example an infant formula prepared in
accordance with applicable Codex Alimentarius standards, or a
home-prepared formula with micronutrient supplements
– should
be demonstrated only by health workers, or other community workers
if necessary, and only to the mothers and other family members
who need to use it; and the information given should include adequate
instructions for appropriate preparation and the health hazards
of inappropriate preparation and use. Infants who are not
breastfed, for whatever reason, should receive special attention from
the health and social welfare system since they constitute a risk
group.
Then I read the code:

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/9241541601.pdf

As far as I can tell there are no formula companies that do not market their product in some way, and they certainly have no control over what indiviual supermarkets do to market the product.

I have to conclude that basically what the WHO is saying is that ANY formula NOT distributed by a doctor and under her/his close supervision is in violation of the marketing code in one way or another. Labelling seems to be something they can all get on board with, but then since in the developing world the literacy rate is pretty poor, and even in places where it is high loads of people never bother to read them, this is not much of a concession.

I would probably tell a friend who is considering using formula and who cares about ethics, to talk to their doctor, otherwise they really shouldn't be using formula...but I am obnoxious like that.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#13 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equuskia View Post
while this is a great idea in theory, it just doesn't work for formula. Some babies can only tolerate a certain formula. Some babies can only tolerate nestlé good start for example, but giving the baby another formula which can cause gastic discomfort or distress in the name of "ethics" is....kinda cruel. As for the nestlé boycott, yes, all their products are boycotted except their formula, because a baby has to eat, even if it's nestlé.
ita

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#14 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=CorasMama;15108858]Pumped milk isn't a viable option for most. There just simply isn't a free-flowing source of sufficient, tested, available donor milk enough for 99.9% of moms.QUOTE]

Ummmm I have been on MilkShare for the past month trying to find a home for 300+ oz of breastmilk- and, like most of the women on the site, have clean test results to boot. There is lots of donor milk out there- if you know where to look. I would refer her to MilkShare. Even if you can't give 100% bm, some is better than none.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#15 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 12:40 PM

I've noticed a few organic formulas, one was Earths Best and the other was Vermont Organics (we don't formula feed, and I don't think I ever would unless it became completely necessary- and the smell of formula grosses me out) but I was intrigued enough to read the labels as I didn't know organic formula existed. I'm pretty sure neither had a picture of a baby on the can and nether advertise as far as I know, does anyone have a copy of the WHO code they could send me a link to? I would love to read it, maybe these formulas are compliant?

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#16 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGranolaMama View Post
I've noticed a few organic formulas, one was Earths Best and the other was Vermont Organics (we don't formula feed, and I don't think I ever would unless it became completely necessary- and the smell of formula grosses me out) but I was intrigued enough to read the labels as I didn't know organic formula existed. I'm pretty sure neither had a picture of a baby on the can and nether advertise as far as I know, does anyone have a copy of the WHO code they could send me a link to? I would love to read it, maybe these formulas are compliant?
http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/9241541601.pdf

#17 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 01:04 PM

I'll have to double back and read it in depth, but after skimming the code, it looks as though Vermont Organics and EarthsBest are both compliant?

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#18 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post
Pumped milk isn't a viable option for most. There just simply isn't a free-flowing source of sufficient, tested, available donor milk enough for 99.9% of moms.
I answered for what I would recommend. If someone asks ME for a good formula, I would instead offer MY breastmilk.

Gina ~
mommy to E & K and #3 due 7/2011homebirth.jpg
#19 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=ein328;15109565]
Quote:
Pumped milk isn't a viable option for most. There just simply isn't a free-flowing source of sufficient, tested, available donor milk enough for 99.9% of moms.QUOTE]

Ummmm I have been on MilkShare for the past month trying to find a home for 300+ oz of breastmilk- and, like most of the women on the site, have clean test results to boot. There is lots of donor milk out there- if you know where to look. I would refer her to MilkShare. Even if you can't give 100% bm, some is better than none.
I'm in northern Ontario, where the shipping would be prohibitive, and while you are correct that some human milk is better than none, this doesn't completely preclude the necessity of formula for some babies. And to the pp who remarked re: seeing a physician, we did - and unfortunately, Good Start was what she ultimately recommended (in consultation with my IBCLC and midwife)

#20 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 01:58 PM

Why unfortunately? If that's what your healthacre provider feels works, than that that's what works. The WHO is only concerned that mothers are not encouraged to walk into a store and pick up whatever brand is on special or whatever brand they saw on TV or whatever brand they saw such and such a celebrity using.

The purpose of the marketing code is to make sure mothers who need help feeding their babies for whatever reason, be it nature or choice, are encouraged to seek professional help to protect the health of their babies. End of story.

#21 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equuskia View Post
As for the Nestlé boycott, yes, all their products are boycotted except their formula, because a baby has to eat, even if it's Nestlé.
Do you have a link to this exclusion? Or could you point me in the right direction to find it? I've heard it before but when I went looking for it last week I came up empty, though it could have been because I was using the wrong search terms or just didn't have enough time. I'd love to have this info for future use, thanks!!
#22 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 04:19 PM

I think that Baby's Only may be WHO compliant, unless I missed something. They are labeled as a toddler formula simply because they believe that breastmilk is the ideal choice before 12 months. It can still be used for infants if needed.
#23 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Banned

But on their website they have a cute little baby on all fours looking at you, not a walking toddler.

http://www.naturesone.com/dairy/
#24 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 06:46 PM

the special stuff you get in the hospital wouldn't be compliant. the hospitals buy the formula and are given freebies like bibs, pacifiers and bottles. i saw a continer of the neocate in the storage area of the nicu and it came with free bottles.

eta: and all of the freebies say the name of the formula...so is that advertising?

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#25 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobs4milk View Post

eta: and all of the freebies say the name of the formula...so is that advertising?

Yep. It's getting the product's name out there.
#26 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Nutramigen, Neocate, and Elecare are specialized formulas that shouldn't be used without a doctor's recommendation.
Also, Elecare is made by Abbott, parent company of Similac.

Amy, wife to Paul 5/20/01, SAHM to Daniel 5/23/07, Claire 7/15/09, and Elaine 9/4/12

#27 of 40 Old 02-24-2010, 10:04 PM

nutramigen is enfamil and i just went to the neocate website and there's a baby grabbing at a bottle on the front page.

#28 of 40 Old 02-25-2010, 01:17 AM

[QUOTE=ein328;15109565]
Quote:
Pumped milk isn't a viable option for most. There just simply isn't a free-flowing source of sufficient, tested, available donor milk enough for 99.9% of moms.QUOTE]

It should also be noted that Doner BM is avalible to only special need babies and preemies. Its also $3.5 an OZ

least thats the information we got from the Canadian Milk Bank when I was unable to BF my first DD. Its likly similer in the US

Doner milk, while better then formula, is saddly not always an option

Canada BTW has only one milk bank.

Kimberly : momma to Karrigan Kayla : and wife of Kevin
#29 of 40 Old 02-25-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post

It should also be noted that Doner BM is avalible to only special need babies and preemies. Its also $3.5 an OZ

least thats the information we got from the Canadian Milk Bank when I was unable to BF my first DD. Its likly similer in the US

Doner milk, while better then formula, is saddly not always an option

Canada BTW has only one milk bank.
Yes, banked milk can be cost-prohibitive but banked milk is not the only donor milk that is available.
#30 of 40 Old 02-25-2010, 05:02 AM

[QUOTE=tinyactsofcharity;15113293]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post

Yes, banked milk can be cost-prohibitive but banked milk is not the only donor milk that is available.
Be that as it may, this means nothing if you have no other sources of milk - period.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page