Help me make a Breastfeeding Book for children - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-02-2004, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an 11 month old baby and we were at the library looking for board books for us to read and it occured to me that there weren't any that featured breastfeeding. Just now i looked up breastfeeding and children's books on-line and most of them were illustrated (no actual photos) and they seemed to be breastfeeding in relation to a new baby.

I want to see a children's book that shows children of all different ages breastfeeding. I want it to include people of several different ethnicities. I want it to include mom's of different ages. I want it to be actual photos (not drawings) and I want them to be high quality photos (not digital).
I want the book to be published in a country that has labor laws (ie I noticed that most board books are published in china, malaysia etc. Only in countries that don't have fair labor laws).

I have no experience. I don't know how to start. I am unemployed and therefore don't have much money to put into this. I don't want to make a profit, I just want to break even while getting this book out there for kids to enjoy.

Anyone want to help me? Where do I start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-02-2004, 07:42 PM

I just want to say what an awesome idea! Do you want stories with them and the pictures to correlate or just one book on nursing with pictures. Would you have words at all?
#3 of 8 Old 03-03-2004, 12:10 PM

"i'm made of mama's milk" by mary olsen ( i think that's the author) has actual toddler bfing photos.

i dont know how to help with regards to making a book
#4 of 8 Old 03-03-2004, 01:23 PM

I love your idea! Maybe this will help...

http://www.cbcbooks.org/html/writing.html
#5 of 8 Old 03-03-2004, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

ja mama- I don't know exactly how I want to do it. any ideas that you have would be helpful.

fyrflymommy- i haven't seen "I'm Made of Mama's Milk" but I've heard a few people say that the photos are poor quality. I didn't know it was a board book though. Anyway, I am still thrilled that it is out there. But I'd still like to make a different one. The more books about breastfeeding the better.

velcromom- thanks for the link! I have felt very intimidated about this whole process. The link you suggested looks like a great start.

Lauren
#6 of 8 Old 03-03-2004, 02:23 PM

if this works, you should take down names for pre-orders. i'd love to buy one if you are able to do it!

Shannon, mama to Jack :
: : : : : :
#7 of 8 Old 03-03-2004, 11:01 PM

not the greatest quality of photos, it's true, but it hasn't stopped both of my littles from retrieving it repeatedly to be read to them (that & 'mama mama'- 'mama mama, soft as silk- give me warmth & give me milk!' except the leopard cub seems to be suckling the mama's armpit, but they still got the idea, lol.)

suse- good luck!
#8 of 8 Old 03-05-2004, 08:48 AM

A breastfeeding children's book

http://www.mnsi.net/~amlm/Index.html

Maria

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page