Victoria's Secret - are they more bf-friendly now? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-21-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have not done a good job keeping up with this forum in the years since my DD weaned. I do remember from a few years ago that Victoria's Secret was not nursing-friendly. Does anyone know if they are more so now? I think I heard they now carry nursing bras. I ask, because I'm in desperate need of some new bras, but don't want to support a non-nursing-friendly company. Thanks!

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#2 of 11 Old 03-21-2010, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I heard that VS had stopped carrying the nursing bras. I always hated their stuff anyway. Never fit me right. Is there a Motherhood Maternity near you? It might also be called Destination Maternity or A Pea in the Pod. They have a ton of nursing bras and they'll give you a fitting to make sure you've got the right size.

ETA: Just check the VS website and they definitely don't have nursing bras anymore. That was certainly a short-lived experiment on their part. Did they really expect huge sales when they weren't carrying them in the stores, or were they just paying lip service to BFing?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#3 of 11 Old 03-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Banned

I don't know about VS but when I was nursing I loved Gap's nursing bras. So comfy and they looked more like regular bras than nursing bras.
#4 of 11 Old 03-22-2010, 12:22 AM

I've no idea whether they carry nursing bras or not, but I don't particularly care, they are a business, they should sell what makes them money rather than try and be all things to all people, not selling nursing bras doesn't necessarily make them unfriendly to nursing. If you have more information, then I'd be interested, but it seems a bit extreme to me to boycott someone because they make bras but not nursing bras.

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
#5 of 11 Old 03-22-2010, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
VS carried nursing bras for about twenty minutes, and they were awful nursing bras. Since they were terrible (and not available to try on in stores) they didn't sell, and VS gave up on them.

As much as I would love more nursing bra options for women, I think that boycotting lingerie companies that don't make or sell nursing bras is pretty silly. It's like declaring that you won't wear clothes from companies that don't have maternity lines. Not all companies in an industry will serve all possible customers at all times.

Now, I can think of plenty of reasons to stay out of Vicki's. But this doesn't happen to be one of them.
#6 of 11 Old 03-22-2010, 12:30 AM

I don't know about nursing; I boycott them because one of their sales associates was incredibly rude to me. Before my wedding I went there looking for an under-dress bustier in an A cup. Turns out that store didn't carry anything in an A cup! The sales lady looked pointedly at my chest and said "You should do something about that".

!??! Freaking LA area VS.

Anyways...a bit off track. I don't think VS is very woman friendly.
#7 of 11 Old 03-22-2010, 07:49 AM

Our local VS was the subject of a nurse-in a few years back because they wouldn't allow a nursing mother to use a dressing room to feed her baby. They received quite a bit of negative national attention from it because of the absurdity.
#8 of 11 Old 03-22-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziemomofalmost4 View Post
Our local VS was the subject of a nurse-in a few years back because they wouldn't allow a nursing mother to use a dressing room to feed her baby. They received quite a bit of negative national attention from it because of the absurdity.
This is why I don't shop there as well. I am not sure if they have changed their policy or not.
The op's post seems to have been misunderstood. I have read it several times and read her signature as well. I don't think she is looking for a nursing bra or is saying that vs is unfriendly if they don't sell nursing bras just was needing a new bra and was wondering if they had changed their policies due to all of the bad press several years ago.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#9 of 11 Old 03-22-2010, 12:35 PM

I have a question. Why was there a nurse in for not being able to bf in a dressing room. The one near us only has two dressing rooms and you are lucky if you can catch one open. It doesn't seem right to use a store with limited dressing room to bf when customers are going to using them for their intended use.
#10 of 11 Old 03-22-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post
This is why I don't shop there as well. I am not sure if they have changed their policy or not.
The op's post seems to have been misunderstood. I have read it several times and read her signature as well. I don't think she is looking for a nursing bra or is saying that vs is unfriendly if they don't sell nursing bras just was needing a new bra and was wondering if they had changed their policies due to all of the bad press several years ago.
You are correct. I'm looking for new "regular" bras - my former nursling is almost 8. But I still do boycott bf-unfriendly companies, and will for as long as they have bf-unfriendly policies. I remembered the nurse-in from a few years ago, and was just curious if VS has relaxed their stance on NIP in their stores.

Thanks for the responses!

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#11 of 11 Old 03-22-2010, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please keep in mind that this is the Lactivism forum, and view the post through that lens, as per the UA. The OP is asking if VS is breastfeeding friendly. She is asking this because of several discriminatory actions from VS in the past. If you search the forum, you should be able to find more information.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page