Simplisse Pump is a lactivism issue! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can this please stay back to the activism area, this is a lactivist issue, not a "breastfeeding support" issue.

I'm uninterested in consumer response to this product, or any consumer reviews. As an activist and lactation consultant I'm curious about this product from an activist pov, and want to know who owns this company.

I'm concerned it's a formula company, there is NO info about who owns it anywhere on line, it's hidden on whois! The language on the website is vague and oddly worded and with phrase like " breastfeeding hurts you, use a pump" and "lactation exasperation" and compares bovine milk to human milk.
That is all formula company speak.

Please help me and find the owners, you can read the nonsensical incorrect wording for yourself.
http://www.simplisse.com/breast-health/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 AM
~pi

You can check who registers a website using WhoIs.

In this case, it was registered by Handi-Craft Company, which looks like the company that makes Dr. Browns bottles.

As for the text on the front page, I am

almost irrational
#3 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 01:08 PM

I guess I'm missing what you're concerned about. I agree that the text on the website is a little odd- like magazine articles that are supposed to be "journalism" but are advertisements, but this is an advertisement, so...

I saw the phrase "lactation exasperation" and the text tells you how to avoid it (but pumping easily at work). I didn't see the phrase "breastfeeding hurst you, use a pump" tho maybe I read too fast ('cause I"m pumping at work!)

They do compare human milk to cow milk, but favorably. I don't see what the problem is. I haven't seen these pumps, and not used one, but I would try if I was having a lot of nipple pain and these had a different mechanism.

That would be evil of a formula company to produce a substandard pump, though. I haven't done any research on this company. Maybe you could clarify what is bothering you about this website, because I don't think the examples you've used are a lactivism issue.

Sandstress

#4 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 03:13 PM

trademark info

Quote:
The SIMPLISSE trademark is filed in the category of Pharmaceutical Products. The description provided to the USPTO for SIMPLISSE is disposable and washable breast pads, hydrogel breast feeding pads, maternity vitamin and mineral supplements, lactation vitamin and mineral supplements, and nutritional bars for pregnant and lactating women.
Checking amazon it seems their products do include vitamin supplements, nipple shields, sterilizing bags, and pads. We have not tried their products, but they appear on the surface to be legitimate. I certainly wouldn't suspect them of trying to sabotage breast feeding moms to sell formula, which is what is being implied?

I have pretty much the same observation of the site as Sandstress. The only thing google returns searching the exact phrase "breastfeeding hurts you, use a pump" is this thread. My partner assures me that, yes, breastfeeding in fact can hurt quite a bit. Pumping is one way that she's been able to manage. She doesn't need to pump very often but when she's really sore it does help her. Are you sure the context isn't "...if breastfeeding hurts you then you may use a pump to lessen discomfort and still provide breast milk for your baby ..."?

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" - Dr. Seuss
#5 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 03:26 PM

I actually bought the Simplesse pump, and it workd fine for a manual. If someone were having issues with soreness, it would likely be a good one to try. I find it hard to explain, but it stimulated letdown, but I really couldn't "feel" the milk expressing or tugging. Their 3 oz bottles attach to my Medela PIS, so that's nice. My impression was that they were trying to sell a pump that works differently from others and they need to explain why that might be better (because that's the goal of advertising). I didn't notice the message against actual bf'ing.
#6 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 06:37 PM

"Checking amazon it seems their products do include vitamin supplements, nipple shields, sterilizing bags, and pads. We have not tried their products, but they appear on the surface to be legitimate. I certainly wouldn't suspect them of trying to sabotage breast feeding moms to sell formula, which is what is being implied?"

I gave the site a quick read through and it seemed to have somewhat sketchy advice, IMO, similar to what's on the Gerber site. I thought it odd that they had so much focus on nutrition when even a mom with a terrible diet will make better milk than the best formula. However, seeing that they sell supplements it now makes more sense why they had a lengthy section about nutrition and supplements.

SAHM to 3 girls
#7 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Jaesun's Dad
Thank you for helping me by finding the trademark filings.
I see it's owned by same company that owns the bottle company Dr Browns.
#8 of 16 Old 04-02-2010, 10:54 AM

It sounded to me like what they were saying was "other pumps can be painful to use but ours is better", not necessarily saying pumping is less painful than nursing. Maybe it could have been worded more clearly...
#9 of 16 Old 04-02-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Scientific breastfeeding studies have proven that pain during lactation or milk expression can reduce the flow and nutritional quality of breastmilk.
(bolding mine)

Anyone know of this study? I haven't heard of any study showing that pain during lactation = lower nutritional quality milk.
#10 of 16 Old 04-03-2010, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It looks like a very nice pump. I'd like one of those.

I don't see anything nefarious about it.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#11 of 16 Old 04-03-2010, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
well, "lactation exasperation" is the phrase they used to describe a mother getting frustrated by a crappy pump. sounds better than "pumperation exasperation", no?

and the bovine vs human milk FAQ explained how cow milk is for baby cows and human milk is for baby humans. whats wrong with that?

Bring back the old MDC
#12 of 16 Old 04-09-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
(bolding mine)

Anyone know of this study? I haven't heard of any study showing that pain during lactation = lower nutritional quality milk.
I certainly don't know of any studies. The only thing I can think of is that they are referring to the milk being lower in fat because mom isn't letting down well due to the pain.
It's a great quote however for a company looking to steer women away from breastfeeding and towards pumping.....
#13 of 16 Old 04-23-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post
You can check who registers a website using WhoIs.

In this case, it was registered by Handi-Craft Company, which looks like the company that makes Dr. Browns bottles.

As for the text on the front page, I am
Thanks to you smart ladies I wrote about this on my blog since I too had reviewed the pump for my site. I felt seriously duped by this company. I think this may become a bigger issue in the near future.
#14 of 16 Old 04-27-2010, 02:06 AM

As usual, so grateful for the mothering.com community --for popping up first on the google search.

As an IBCLC and ILCA member, I received a free sample of this hand-pump last week.
I too was suspicious and curious about who/what is "behind" it. It takes a lot of resources to mail a free pump to every ILCA member! ($8.60 just in postage!).

I have a similar impression of their website: vague.
Usually there are testimonials, personal stories of the founders/inventors, etc.
If it is indeed owned by another reputable company, why not publicize it? Is it a WHO Code issue?
In any case, here is one lead not yet mentioned: The cover letter included with the pump is signed by "Dr. Jimi Francis, IBCLC, Ph.D., Clinical Director"
I only had a second to do a search, but found this bio:
http://lactspeak.com/speakers/JimiFrancis/

I'm sure a resourceful curious person could call her or send an email directly.
I'd love to hear the whole scoop, when someone knows more!

~Virginia

Virginia Bobro, IBCLC, CD, Certified Childbirth Mentor
Managing Director, Birthing From Within
#15 of 16 Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmmm, the IBCLC mentioned sounds "solid" enough but the website is weird.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#16 of 16 Old 04-28-2010, 01:54 AM

Ran across this post with more details about the company's structure and their official denials of any wrong doing.

Everything I've read about this company makes me very nervous. They don't seem to be truthful in disclosing their corporate affiliations and their breastfeeding advice is horrid.

http://www.blacktating.com/2010/04/s...sse-handi.html

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page