I was asked not to breastfeed in a public school - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 05-21-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The update is not so good. We went to the school board meeting on Tuesday and the school's attorney says that a principal can authorize where I can breastfeed which seems totally against the FL breastfeeding law but that's his interpretation. I think he just can't fathom that breastfeeding is not indecent. The schoolboard members just are going along with him and also seem to agree it's not appropriate for kids to see a mother breastfeeding. There were also some of the school parents/faculty there to speak against me, painting a bad picture of me exposing myself all over the place and kids gawking and causing a scene. Here's my blog update: http://hcsdbreastfeed.blogspot.com/2...cipal-can.html

We're considering hiring an attorney. I'm not sure what to do. It's been stressful, I received a hate phone call yesterday. The local news did a poll and 70% of people think breastfeedings shouldn't be allowed in school lobbies. On the other hand, I just hate to leave things like this, it's not right.
#32 of 42 Old 05-21-2010, 11:25 PM

Have you contacted First Right? Or the ACLU? If not, you really should. First Right went to bat for me with a restaurant.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#33 of 42 Old 05-21-2010, 11:34 PM

You are an inspiration, Mama! You have stood up for what is right and that makes you one courageous lady! I just wanted to tell you that...

Momma to my beautiful blessing pinktongue.gif (Nov '08) and two Spirit babies angel3.gif (Dec '09) and angel2.gif (July '10)

#34 of 42 Old 05-22-2010, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

I did contact First Right and the ACLU. First Right has been very helpful, I haven't heard from the ACLU.
#35 of 42 Old 05-22-2010, 11:16 AM

What about the state attorney general? At best the school lawyer is incorrectly interpreting state law (and that's being generous, I think they're flat-out ignoring it) - maybe a helpful reminder from the bigwigs would get their butts in line?

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#36 of 42 Old 05-22-2010, 08:52 PM

I think at the very least you should contact the Board of Education and tell them that your local school board is violating state law. They are violating state law by saying that the principal can restrict where and when you can nurse. The law says you can nurse wherever you have a legal right to be, and the principal is not above the law. So go up up up!

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#37 of 42 Old 05-24-2010, 12:56 PM

The one article says that the school could ask you to move because breastfeeding is a distraction? Okay, a toddler is a distraction. Kids LOVE babies and little kids. Heck, just having kindergartners in a school risks distracting the 5th graders. Doesn't matter what the little one is doing, the big kids are going to want to say hi.
#38 of 42 Old 05-26-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylaanne View Post
I think at the very least you should contact the Board of Education and tell them that your local school board is violating state law. They are violating state law by saying that the principal can restrict where and when you can nurse. The law says you can nurse wherever you have a legal right to be, and the principal is not above the law. So go up up up!
Exactly! Please don't give up Mama! You're doing great!
#39 of 42 Old 05-28-2010, 07:57 PM

So grateful to women like you who don't just submit and go bf in the hiding place provided to them! I would contact the ACLU if this goes any further.

Rachel....

Wife to DH...

SAHM to C (2.5 years)

#40 of 42 Old 05-31-2010, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How's it going, OP? Did you contact an attorney?

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#41 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 01:28 AM

Any updates? This STILL makes me mad thinking about it. I understand it being stressful, but you were right and we're all proud. Even my hubby! It got the whole firestation talking about breastfeeding..

The more people see breastfeeding and talk about breastfeeding, the more normal it will seem!
#42 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 03:41 PM

Hey OP,

I am so proud of you for going forward so the our babies wont have to deal with this! I would go bf my lo in the school too if i lived near by. Heck I'd fly down if I could to help you do a bf sit in!

Thank you for doing the right thing!

We have your back mama. =)

Liss

"E" reggo :yoga wash.gif :clothes and if I have time knit.gif peas in a pod with overworked DP "E" Cosleeping, Extended breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering(a bit obsessed), babywearing, SAHM to DD wl 9/09 and expecting homebirth in 4/12 joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page