What to do with formula samples? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 06-07-2010, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I donate it both the formula & the coupons to a catholic Charities Org that help place children for adoption. They can provide some free formula to the new adoptive parents (who will be FF anyway) or foster parents who will care for the child until a permanent adoption can be made. These parents are not eligible for WIC, so they have to pay out of pocket for the formulas. They continue whatever formula was started at the hospital.

This way people who need it get it, but no child who could be breastfed is getting formula.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#32 of 38 Old 06-07-2010, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I mark it "return to sender" and send it back.

I also write, "REFUSED!" with a big, dark Sharpie marker. I would love to write something about "This company is in violation of WHO code!" on it next time. The postal workers would probably think I was NUTS or just think ... WTF?

-
#33 of 38 Old 06-11-2010, 01:43 AM

I've donated mine to a family who fosters babies, to cover any gaps so they don't have to buy as much out of their own pocket.

I've also donated to a battered women's shelter, after the manager assured me that they have such minimal resources that they would never give formula to a nursing mom. It would be used to tide them over until they could get WIC started. And if you're in a shelter, that's probably not an ideal time to relactate.
#34 of 38 Old 06-15-2010, 02:24 PM

I would just throw it away.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#35 of 38 Old 06-16-2010, 05:21 PM

It just makes me sad when I see people say to just throw it out. As a mama who couldn't BF b/c she had to have over 1/2 of her breast tissue removed for medical reasons...these samples would have been more than welcomed. Just find some way to donate without compromising your personal values regarding BF.
#36 of 38 Old 06-16-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxthecatrules View Post
It just makes me sad when I see people say to just throw it out. As a mama who couldn't BF b/c she had to have over 1/2 of her breast tissue removed for medical reasons...these samples would have been more than welcomed. Just find some way to donate without compromising your personal values regarding BF.
I agree like I said in pp, I would donate. I cant waste, even if it is not something I would want/use I can not judge others and their needs. It is food for a child, whether it is good or not the best in other people's eyes, it is still food.

WOH Wife to Steve 3/31/07 ; Mama to Sophia Margaret 9/26/07; and Ava Grace 2/5/09
#37 of 38 Old 06-16-2010, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

I already threw it out, and it actually gave me quite a feeling of satisfaction. I sympathize with your situation, but no one I know has a baby and physically can't breastfeed. Besides, I'd much rather promote the establishment of milk banks and wetnursing networks for mothers in such situations than distribute formula. When I was lactating I would have been quite willing to wetnurse for a mother who physically couldn't breastfeed, and I know I'm not the only one. That's a resource that needs to be tapped. Breastmilk is so important for babies, and formula is so different from human breastmilk that it makes me sad for any baby to have to consume formula.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#38 of 38 Old 06-16-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer View Post
I already threw it out, and it actually gave me quite a feeling of satisfaction. I sympathize with your situation, but no one I know has a baby and physically can't breastfeed. Besides, I'd much rather promote the establishment of milk banks and wetnursing networks for mothers is such situations than distribute formula. When I was lactating I would have been quite willing to wetnurse for a mother who physically couldn't breastfeed, and I know I'm not the only one. That's a resource that needs to be tapped. Breastmilk is so important for babies, and formula is so different from human breastmilk that it makes me sad for any baby to have to consume formula.
I respect your decision.

I think someone else mentioned it in the thread...but, one of the things that does bother me is that these samples often make mamas who are heck bent on formula think they have to buy the over priced name brand-formulas. Once we ran out of samples...We saved hundreds of $$$ on formula with both of our babes by buying the Sams Club brand. It is the equivalent of the Enfamil Lipil. We saved approx. $15 a can and when your babe is going through a LARGE mega-can in a 7-9 days that adds up.

FWIW...I guess if it were an option I would have been willing to pay an extra $15 a week for milk from a breastmilk bank. Of course, I have no concept of what milk costs from a bank.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page