Redbook Article!!!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lineymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.redbookmag.com/kids-famil...-breastfeeding


Get ready to get angry or at least very very sad!
Lineymom is offline  
#2 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 09:34 PM
 
aiccerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fredericton, NB
Posts: 1,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fantastic article:
aiccerb is offline  
#3 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 10:08 PM
 
KempsMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, just wow.

Breastfeeding brainwashing? Really? Ummm, I think someone here has been brainwashed, but it's not the breastfeeders.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
KempsMama is offline  
#4 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 10:27 PM
 
Mommy2Austin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's ironic how the first thing she did after her procedure to help her clogged ducts is to do exactly the thing that cause plugged ducts!

I feel bad for her experience in general, but worse for the mamas who read that and won't even try to breastfeed.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

Mommy2Austin is offline  
#5 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 10:55 PM
 
Letitia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
This is too much psychobabble, I'm sure, but it sounds just way too strident for me to believe she's not still trying to convince herself not to feel guilty.

And if she's not, why so strident? Is there any hole in the information available that breast is superior? So, OK, makes sense to have the public education campaigns.

Makes sense also that there be good options for people who simply cannot breastfeed, because they are definitely around. I am sorry that the public education campaigns bring up guilty feelings in those women. Wish I had suggestions what to do about that other than to try to remember to be personally sensitive about that.
Letitia is offline  
#6 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 PM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 41,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mamas, we need to turn this towards Lactivism, as per the forum guidelines. If it's meant to just be a vent, that's fine too (as long as we keep it within the UA) but I will have to move it out to the general forums. Please remember that the purpose of this thread isn't to attack or criticize individuals, but to look for ways to promote breastfeeding.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
#7 of 25 Old 06-22-2010, 03:43 PM
 
frogautumn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"For decades, formula-feeding — considered modern and convenient — was so commonplace that doctors gave new mothers hormone shots to prevent their breast milk from ever coming in. If you breast-fed in the 1950s, in fact, you were frowned upon for not being progressive."

These sentences trouble me greatly.
I absolutely understand if someone tries their hardest to nurse and it doesn't work out as planned. I get that they might feel judged or feel like they've failed. But to suggest that formula feeding is a more "progressive" choice...that's a dangerous mistruth to be spreading around.
frogautumn is offline  
#8 of 25 Old 06-22-2010, 03:53 PM
 
texmati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
is it true that redbook is owned by nestle?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

texmati is offline  
#9 of 25 Old 06-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitia View Post
This is too much psychobabble, I'm sure, but it sounds just way too strident for me to believe she's not still trying to convince herself not to feel guilty.

And if she's not, why so strident? Is there any hole in the information available that breast is superior? So, OK, makes sense to have the public education campaigns.

Makes sense also that there be good options for people who simply cannot breastfeed, because they are definitely around. I am sorry that the public education campaigns bring up guilty feelings in those women. Wish I had suggestions what to do about that other than to try to remember to be personally sensitive about that.


I'm not a mom yet, but I guess I just don't feel the pressure the way so many women can. I had about the worst "role model" for a mother possible until I was nine and then the best I could imagine after that - I figure all I have to do is not forget the kid at the grocery store and I'm in the clear, mothering-wise.

My Mom (the good one - my maternal grandmother, as a matter of fact) didn't breastfeed (all three of her biological children were born in the sixties). She made formula because she couldn't afford store-bought and didn't know that breastfeeding was even an option because she'd never heard of it.
paintedfire is offline  
#10 of 25 Old 06-24-2010, 03:24 PM
 
Nazsmum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In the vine
Posts: 2,519
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
WOW!!! You know I really wish that REDBOOK would do an acticle that would be pro-b/f in the same issue.
Nazsmum is online now  
#11 of 25 Old 06-24-2010, 04:30 PM
 
mambera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitia View Post
Makes sense also that there be good options for people who simply cannot breastfeed, because they are definitely around. I am sorry that the public education campaigns bring up guilty feelings in those women. Wish I had suggestions what to do about that other than to try to remember to be personally sensitive about that.
I mean, yeah. The woman who wrote the article had to stop bf'ing so she could go back on her *cancer drugs*. If that's not an acceptable reason not to bf I don't know what is. But apparently she still felt pretty bad about it - guilty enough to write that very defensively toned article - which is really sad.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

mambera is offline  
#12 of 25 Old 06-25-2010, 10:55 AM
 
AllieFaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogautumn View Post
"For decades, formula-feeding — considered modern and convenient — was so commonplace that doctors gave new mothers hormone shots to prevent their breast milk from ever coming in. If you breast-fed in the 1950s, in fact, you were frowned upon for not being progressive."
Bolding mine: this was not true. They were given carcinogens, not "hormones". Just like they weren't given "twilight sleep" sleeping pills - they were given scopolamine, an amnesia drug (now known as the Colombian drug lords' kidnap drug of choice.)

Although, it is true that they considered these drugs modern and convenient. How ironic that the author didn't know that those drugs back then caused breast cancer - which is the real reason they were stopped (as late as the early 1990s in some places,) and not necessarily because of lactivism.
AllieFaye is offline  
#13 of 25 Old 06-25-2010, 12:17 PM
 
BlueLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogautumn View Post
"For decades, formula-feeding — considered modern and convenient — was so commonplace that doctors gave new mothers hormone shots to prevent their breast milk from ever coming in. If you breast-fed in the 1950s, in fact, you were frowned upon for not being progressive."

These sentences trouble me greatly.
I absolutely understand if someone tries their hardest to nurse and it doesn't work out as planned. I get that they might feel judged or feel like they've failed. But to suggest that formula feeding is a more "progressive" choice...that's a dangerous mistruth to be spreading around.
In all fairness, she was saying that this was the case 60 years ago, not today.

It just goes to show that our culture has always found a reason to make mothers feel bad about their choices.
BlueLeaf is offline  
#14 of 25 Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 PM
 
ShwarmaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Posts: 5,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First of all, she probably caught MRSA when she delivered in the hospital, where, second, her baby was probably given formula so it wasn't hungry enough to take the milk, which caused the first case of mastitis!!

What a trashy article.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

ShwarmaQueen is offline  
#15 of 25 Old 06-25-2010, 03:28 PM
 
frogautumn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLeaf View Post
In all fairness, she was saying that this was the case 60 years ago, not today.

It just goes to show that our culture has always found a reason to make mothers feel bad about their choices.
Yes, you're right. In trying to examine what it was that jumped out at me about that passage, I can see that. She's definitely not suggesting that formula feeding is the most progressive choice today.
But there is something tricky in that language, something loaded in the way she uses the word "progressive," would you agree? She does suggest that our "pro-bf" culture has gone too far (which is what I'm afraid readers will take away as the main point of the article).
I'm sure that most here would agree that we haven't come far enough in creating a culture that's truly pro-bf.
But we won't create that culture by women continuing to judge other women's choices. Which is sadly, as you pointed out, the common thread that's been present all along.
frogautumn is offline  
#16 of 25 Old 06-25-2010, 05:23 PM
 
pumpkinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 4,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the article was a little off and I didn't like the tone of it at all. I think it's horrible that the author had to endure what she did. I think that she made the right descision for her. I think that trying to apply that descision to the rest of the lactating public at large is misguided.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
First of all, she probably caught MRSA when she delivered in the hospital, where, second, her baby was probably given formula so it wasn't hungry enough to take the milk, which caused the first case of mastitis!!

What a trashy article.

Respectfully, I think this is kind of unfair speculation. Some women, regardless of what they do or how they do it, get bout after bout of mastitis. I was lucky to almost never experience it (I had what I believe was the beginning of mastitis once and was able to head it off) but a dear friend had it 5 times in 6 months. I don't know if I could have made it through that.

I think the whole: if you had problems breastfeeding, it was probably your or your support system's (doctor, LC, midwife etc) fault aspect of breastfeeding advocacy is not helpful.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
pumpkinhead is offline  
#17 of 25 Old 06-25-2010, 06:24 PM
 
BlueLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogautumn View Post
Y
...
But there is something tricky in that language, something loaded in the way she uses the word "progressive," would you agree? She does suggest that our "pro-bf" culture has gone too far (which is what I'm afraid readers will take away as the main point of the article).
I'm sure that most here would agree that we haven't come far enough in creating a culture that's truly pro-bf.
But we won't create that culture by women continuing to judge other women's choices. Which is sadly, as you pointed out, the common thread that's been present all along.
I agree! I find it sad that I'm the "hippie mama weirdo" at work because I BF and pump at work. We all have to do what's we decide is right for our children, but we don't make those decisions in a vacuum.
BlueLeaf is offline  
#18 of 25 Old 06-26-2010, 04:11 PM
 
ShwarmaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Posts: 5,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinhead View Post
Respectfully, I think this is kind of unfair speculation. Some women, regardless of what they do or how they do it, get bout after bout of mastitis. I was lucky to almost never experience it (I had what I believe was the beginning of mastitis once and was able to head it off) but a dear friend had it 5 times in 6 months. I don't know if I could have made it through that.
Oh i totally agree with you. I had it with DD and she was attached to my nipple nonstop from the time she was delivered and I ended up engorged and almost mastitis. But we all know those moms who 'just take the night off' after delivery at the hospital and then the cascade of events (formula, sleepy baby, etc.) happens...which leads to mastitis in some cases.

Sorry, my reply was a gut reaction. I still don't like the article though.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

ShwarmaQueen is offline  
#19 of 25 Old 06-30-2010, 06:53 PM
 
anne1140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My biggest beef with the article is the claim that formula feeding mothers are ostracized by everyone in the US. Very much not so. I don't know, maybe where she lives that's the case, but certainly not where I live, and I imagine, not in most of the US. In my area, anyway, most try to breastfeed, but it doesn't last long. And if you breastfeed longer than the first birthday, you are looked at like a complete nutso!

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

 

anne1140 is offline  
#20 of 25 Old 07-02-2010, 03:00 AM
 
Pookietooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, the article makes it sound like women are made to feel guilty for formula feeding, when in my experience women are made to feel like freaks for breastfeeding. There is another Redbook article that is pretty much anti-breastfeeding as well, so I think it really behooves them to provide at least one clearly pro-breastfeeding article. To whom do we write?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Pookietooth is offline  
#21 of 25 Old 07-06-2010, 09:21 PM
 
jennybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
Yes, the article makes it sound like women are made to feel guilty for formula feeding, when in my experience women are made to feel like freaks for breastfeeding. There is another Redbook article that is pretty much anti-breastfeeding as well, so I think it really behooves them to provide at least one clearly pro-breastfeeding article. To whom do we write?
Really? That surprises me that our experiences are so different (I live in Seattle).

Really, I don't know anyone who has had kids recently who hasn't BF. I get asked all.the.time whether I'm breastfeeding and it's clear that the only acceptable answer is "yes."

I have a friend who can't BF because of heart medications she's on (meds that she literally MUST take) who is constantly made to feel guilty. I don't think we should dilute the breast is best message, but I wish there was a way of doing it without making moms who can't (or don't) BF feel guilty.
jennybear is offline  
#22 of 25 Old 07-06-2010, 09:33 PM
 
Mamapits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybear View Post
Really? That surprises me that our experiences are so different (I live in Seattle).

Really, I don't know anyone who has had kids recently who hasn't BF. I get asked all.the.time whether I'm breastfeeding and it's clear that the only acceptable answer is "yes."

I have a friend who can't BF because of heart medications she's on (meds that she literally MUST take) who is constantly made to feel guilty. I don't think we should dilute the breast is best message, but I wish there was a way of doing it without making moms who can't (or don't) BF feel guilty.
I have to say that around here, it is the breastfeeding moms who are looked at as if they are committing some horrid act.
I do have friends, who are naturally minded that are judgmental and make it a point to only hang with "like minded" moms, and look down on bottle feeding as well as other non natural styles of parenting but they are by far the minority.

I have to say I have never heard any of them say anything to a bottle feeding mom that would make her feel bad, even with their caddy judgments. Yet just today I experienced a few woman who complained to management of the exercise class a friend and I went to because she nurses her baby there before and after classes.

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
Mamapits is offline  
#23 of 25 Old 07-07-2010, 12:18 PM
 
Quinalla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She really missed the point herself, but made it quite well to someone with a lot of breastfeeding knowledge. The problem is not breastfeeding being encouraged strongly (to the point of guilt for some, but mom's feel guilty about everything nowadays IME, BFing should not be singled out), it is that we have lost a lot of our cultural/societal BFing knowledge. BFing is encouraged so much now, but there is little to no help for new mothers and quite often folks trying to help that don't know much and actually end up hurting instead. Most women don't have someone they can go to for BFing help and support, especially those first few days and weeks when spending 20 minutes with someone who really knows BFing can make a HUGE difference. You can see from her article that she doesn't know much about BFing, as others said, she is lucky she didn't get another plugged duct! And she talks about her breasts being cracked and bleeding and the horrible pain, sounds like a latch issue to me, but no mention of that at all. It sounds like she doesn't understand that it shouldn't be that painful and that there was a reason for it even if she and the LC never found it.

I went to a BFing class, read tons of books, researched online, etc. and I still had problems at first because of hospital nurses who thought they knew what they were talking about but did not. When the LC finally got in to see me (I delivered on Saturday and she stopped by Monday), she helped a great deal, but if I hadn't been completely proactive getting into my ped and seeing the LC there the next day, I could have easily been another "tried BFing and it didn't work". For my next baby, I'm getting a LC in to see me right away and I will keep calling her back until I am satisfied!

That IMO is where the biggest disconnect is. Women are super encouraged to BF, but then they give birth and try but run into common issues/problems that wouldn't even be problems if they had support like we should, but become magnified especially by well-meaning folks who don't know what they are talking about!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

 

 

Quinalla is offline  
#24 of 25 Old 07-07-2010, 03:12 PM
 
Nazsmum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In the vine
Posts: 2,519
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinalla View Post
She really missed the point herself, but made it quite well to someone with a lot of breastfeeding knowledge. The problem is not breastfeeding being encouraged strongly (to the point of guilt for some, but mom's feel guilty about everything nowadays IME, BFing should not be singled out), it is that we have lost a lot of our cultural/societal BFing knowledge. BFing is encouraged so much now, but there is little to no help for new mothers and quite often folks trying to help that don't know much and actually end up hurting instead. Most women don't have someone they can go to for BFing help and support, especially those first few days and weeks when spending 20 minutes with someone who really knows BFing can make a HUGE difference. You can see from her article that she doesn't know much about BFing, as others said, she is lucky she didn't get another plugged duct! And she talks about her breasts being cracked and bleeding and the horrible pain, sounds like a latch issue to me, but no mention of that at all. It sounds like she doesn't understand that it shouldn't be that painful and that there was a reason for it even if she and the LC never found it.

I went to a BFing class, read tons of books, researched online, etc. and I still had problems at first because of hospital nurses who thought they knew what they were talking about but did not. When the LC finally got in to see me (I delivered on Saturday and she stopped by Monday), she helped a great deal, but if I hadn't been completely proactive getting into my ped and seeing the LC there the next day, I could have easily been another "tried BFing and it didn't work". For my next baby, I'm getting a LC in to see me right away and I will keep calling her back until I am satisfied!

That IMO is where the biggest disconnect is. Women are super encouraged to BF, but then they give birth and try but run into common issues/problems that wouldn't even be problems if they had support like we should, but become magnified especially by well-meaning folks who don't know what they are talking about!
THis is so true.
Nazsmum is online now  
#25 of 25 Old 07-09-2010, 03:37 PM
 
ashleybess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Redbook (and all those mags) are so harmful for women to be reading... it's just depressing to think many people actually believe what these mags have to say and look to them for advice. I see in the margin "Are You Guilty of These 8 Sex Mistakes?" Whaaat??!?!! You can't make a mistake if you're making love... just silly stuff.
ashleybess is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off