Any way to get out of jury duty? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2010, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got the letter about jury duty when dd was around 10 months old, and got it postponed until now (she's 13 months). The lady told me it could only be until she was a year old. But dd still nurses at least once an hour, nurses to sleep, I don't own a pump, and I've never been away from her for more than a few hours (and then she was with dh, we've never left her with anyone else, no family here). On top of that, she's got food allergies (dairy, soy, wheat, nuts) so I'm on an elimination diet also. Anything I can do to get out of it? Do they provide food or can I bring my own? Would they provide time and space to pump every 2-3 hours (we recently went on vacation and I only nursed every 3 hours and got plugged ducts)? I'm in Utah. Thanks!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 09:28 PM

http://www.familyfriendlyjuryduty.or...s/page0025.htm

if this site is accurate, it looks as though you are within your rights to be excused from jury duty in utah as the primary caregiver to a child under 10.
good luck!
Old 07-11-2010, 01:59 AM
Banned

If you can't get cleared ahead of time, get a note from your doctor and even your child's ped about your need to pump so often, her special dietary needs, etc. That's terrible Utah only goes to a year, but it sounds like you're covered anyway. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:25 AM

In California all I would have to do is get a note from my doctor saying that I need to be excused from Jury Duty due to Breastfeeding for the next 2yrs. That's it.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I don't have a doctor, how do I find someone to write me a note? I'm guessing the midwife I haven't seen in a year wouldn't count to a judge.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handspun View Post
http://www.familyfriendlyjuryduty.or...s/page0025.htm

if this site is accurate, it looks as though you are within your rights to be excused from jury duty in utah as the primary caregiver to a child under 10.
good luck!
This entry is referring to federal court in Utah. State court in Utah does not have the same rule.

J.D. and mother to three. Sustainable Mothering and check out my Writing and Speaking
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the link! Fine time for me to see this thread - I just got a jury duty summons and my babe is only two weeks old! So not happening!

OP, I figure if nothing else works, you *could* just show up with your dd and say that you're sorry but there was nothing else you can do. What else can they do but excuse you?

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure they could put me in contempt of court!

After reading some it sounds like it likely wouldn't be more than a few hours, so we decided that if I get called (day 2 of my week and nothing yet) then DH will take the day off of work to take care of dd. I can nurse her at lunch time and dh will give her a little milk or water in a cup. He's taken care of her for 4 hours before and as long as they are out of the house doing fun things I think she'll be fine (and she'll take a nap in the car or in the ergo). I did call the clerk and she said that pumping would be no problem. Hopefully I don't even have to go to the courthouse, but if I do, I'll report back my experience!

Old 07-20-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfairbabies View Post
I'm pretty sure they could put me in contempt of court!
Absolutely. Judge could and judges have held parent in contempt for bringing children to jury duty. One judge in Ohio held the mother in contempt and gave her a few hours to get a caretaker to come for the kids before putting them into foster care. This is not a risk worth taking.

J.D. and mother to three. Sustainable Mothering and check out my Writing and Speaking
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.

User Tag List