how do I organize a nurse-in? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was told a couple weeks ago by a lady working the sign in counter at the WIC office to "cover up or go nurse somewhere private like the bathroom because I was going to offend the other mothers there".
I've been mentally composing a retort for a comment like that for almost 23 months. When I finally get one- I freeze up! I told her DD was almost done, but before I went back to talk to the LC (about working there!!! lol) I explained to her that it's illegal to ask a breastfeeding mother to move. How can they hang all those BFing promoting posters and do incentives for BFing moms, then say something like that!!!!!
So how do I organize a nurse in?

~Courtney~
IBCLC to be & newly single mama to Ariana Raen 8/31/08
#2 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 01:06 PM

I would start in the finding your tribes section.

Good luck!!! If I lived closer to you, I would totally be in.

Sorry that happened to you Mama. I know its hard. I had retorts planned out in my head for months in case anyone ever said anything, and an eldery couple in a target called me 'disgusting' and I froze too, speachless. Its hard in the heat of the moment.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#3 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 01:11 PM

At WIC???!??! WOW. I was shocked when, at my WIC office, they encouraged me to nurse wherever I wanted. I was nursing DS in the waiting room (no cover) and some other ladies were giving me the evil eye. When they called me back, I asked for a moment to unlatch the baby and all, and the WIC lady said, "Oh! You're nursing! You just go ahead, then, let that little guy finish his lunch." He was past 12 months, too, which is when WIC usually stops acknowledging BFing.

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#4 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM

That woman's comment goes against the mission statement of WIC, which is to support and encourage BF.

If you complain to her supervisor she will be reprimanded. I would start there and go higher up if you don't feel like the supervisor takes the issue seriously.

At all the WIC clinics I have ever worked at it is a BIG no no to discourage or disparage BF in any way, no matter what your personal feelings are about the issue. It would have been a huge issue w/consequences for that person if that had happened in my former office.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#5 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyam926 View Post
That woman's comment goes against the mission statement of WIC, which is to support and encourage BF.

If you complain to her supervisor she will be reprimanded. I would start there and go higher up if you don't feel like the supervisor takes the issue seriously.

At all the WIC clinics I have ever worked at it is a BIG no no to discourage or disparage BF in any way, no matter what your personal feelings are about the issue. It would have been a huge issue w/consequences for that person if that had happened in my former office.

Going up the administrative chain is more effective in bringing about long term change, in my experience, then going straight to a nurse-in.

J.D. and mother to three. Sustainable Mothering and check out my Writing and Speaking
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.
#6 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 04:15 PM

OHHH man. At WIC? WOW! If I were in Florida I'd be there! KUP, and please report her!

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#7 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajake View Post

Going up the administrative chain is more effective in bringing about long term change, in my experience, then going straight to a nurse-in.

nak
#8 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First off, I am so sorry this happened. This woman was way out of line, and I think you have an excellent case for going above her head and filing a formal complaint.

I don't think a nurse in would be effective in this situation. For one thing, you haven't gone through the channels that are available to seek to remedy the situation. That's the main goal here, right? To make sure it never, ever happens again. Nurse-ins just aren't meant to be the first step in cases like this.

Second, I don't see how it would work. A WIC office is private property and you can't bring a whole bunch of people in for a nurse in who don't have business there. I suppose maybe you could protest outside the building but again, without going through the channels that exist first, it would just end up being negative publicity, IMO.

Go up the chain of command. Know the law. File a formal complaint. And then, if/when they apologize and do the right thing, make sure to praise them for their committment to breastfeeding.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#9 of 13 Old 07-14-2010, 02:46 PM

Wow! I can't believe that woman! I'd do some major complaining to supervisors and on up the ladder before doing a nurse-in. Nurse-ins seem to be a way to call attention to a problem being swept under the rug by the head honchos...

I was praised at my WIC office for extended bfing my 2y/o, and called Supermom because I then told them I was tandem nursing with my 3 week old. They even gave me a bag and a onesie that said "Breastfeeding: the original fast food" as well as a couple bumper stickers. I was so glad to get such positive comments as I had heard that WIC offices can be either good or bad about bfing support.

A bit off-topic, but the two women in the office who I was talking to were also incredibly supportive and curious about the fact that both my LOs were homebirths. They wanted to know my m/w's name for future reference for some of their clients...maybe I'm just lucky with how awesome my office is?

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#10 of 13 Old 07-21-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
First off, I am so sorry this happened. This woman was way out of line, and I think you have an excellent case for going above her head and filing a formal complaint.

I don't think a nurse in would be effective in this situation. For one thing, you haven't gone through the channels that are available to seek to remedy the situation. That's the main goal here, right? To make sure it never, ever happens again. Nurse-ins just aren't meant to be the first step in cases like this.

Second, I don't see how it would work. A WIC office is private property and you can't bring a whole bunch of people in for a nurse in who don't have business there. I suppose maybe you could protest outside the building but again, without going through the channels that exist first, it would just end up being negative publicity, IMO.

Go up the chain of command. Know the law. File a formal complaint. And then, if/when they apologize and do the right thing, make sure to praise them for their committment to breastfeeding.
wow at wic????

OK, my first thought was make sure you have gone through all of the steps that lead up to a nurse in. so I totally agree with annettemarie, you need to take other steps.
I do believe that a letter to the supervisor of your local area WIC will be helpful.
If you do not receive an appropriate response then you can take it to a nurse in.
Yes you will probably have to do it outside of the wic office, but that is better, it will attract the attention of the public.

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
#11 of 13 Old 07-22-2010, 12:06 AM

definately go through all of the steps. It is definately not a wic policy that you should cover and I believe that you won't have to go very far before you find someone that apologizes and reprimends the employ. And make sure every time you go there you nurse dd as much as possible right in front of that lady Print your law out and have it ready. Also print out wics policy on breastfeeding and have that handy too.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#12 of 13 Old 07-24-2010, 07:34 PM

that is ludacris! good for you for doing something about it!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#13 of 13 Old 07-24-2010, 08:10 PM

I'm sorry that happened to you. I AM glad that you know it's not acceptable behavior.

I agree that this isn't really a nurse-in situation, at least at this point. I was a host of one of the nurse-in sites for the Applebee's nurse in years ago, and that nurse-in only happened because of Applebee's corporate response to the mom's complaints. Had they apologized and said they were changing policy, no nurse-in would have occurred. It was only because corporate responded with a ridiculous statement about providing blankets to moms who wanted to breastfeed that we all got up in arms.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page