You should feed him formula *and* breastmilk, so you get the best of both worlds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-16-2010, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What do you say to this?

I've heard this a couple of times in DH's family-- mostly people who were raised in india. Something about formula having all the vitamins in case your milk was missing something, and of course you'd want to nurse at night, because it's easier than getting up.

These people, for the most part, aren't lazy, or mainstream, and they respect the mother child bond. They have a strong family support of nursing. What can I say to them (gently) to dispute this?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#2 of 10 Old 07-16-2010, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe tell them that only in cases of extreme maternal malnutrition this might be the case? Remind them that you have great pre-natal and post-natal nutrition and that you take all your vitamins, etc. (whatever they feel comfortable with and think is appropriate). Remind them that you eat lots of ___ (insert Indian foods that they think are healthy, they prepare for you, etc.).

If it weren't relatives from another culture, I'd be more inclined to say the formula world is always inferior to what nature provides. Or something even more snarky.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#3 of 10 Old 07-16-2010, 04:43 PM

How about "I'd rather not take the chance of increasing his risk of illness and health problems, which we know can happen if baby is fed anything but breastmilk in the first 6 months of life. Oh that <<insert culturally appropriate equivalent to bean dip>> looks tasty, please pass some over here!"

It's kinda hard to tell a Mama to do something when you have just been told that it could negatively impact baby's health.
#4 of 10 Old 07-16-2010, 09:40 PM

You could just say that isn't a problem in this country.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 10 Old 07-17-2010, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You could (since most people worship doctors like Gods) mention that your doctor says its healthier to breastfeed without supplementing.

"I know you care about (Child) and just want what is best but his/her pediatrician thinks its better if we don't supplement."

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#6 of 10 Old 07-18-2010, 03:14 PM

I think I'd say something like, "Mom's milk is perfectly balanced and the most ideal food for babies. Unless mom was extremely malnourished, it contains all the vitamins & minerals baby needs. I am not malnourished & I make sure to eat a really healthy diet, so I know my milk is just right for baby! In our case, feeding him/her formula would only jeopardize my milk supply and deprive baby of all that perfect nourishment & antibodies from my milk."

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#7 of 10 Old 07-18-2010, 04:05 PM

Just have them read the formula label and hope they research more about it!!

'09   
#8 of 10 Old 07-20-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Maybe tell them that only in cases of extreme maternal malnutrition this might be the case? Remind them that you have great pre-natal and post-natal nutrition and that you take all your vitamins, etc. (whatever they feel comfortable with and think is appropriate). Remind them that you eat lots of ___ (insert Indian foods that they think are healthy, they prepare for you, etc.).

If it weren't relatives from another culture, I'd be more inclined to say the formula world is always inferior to what nature provides. Or something even more snarky.
I find that ethnocentric attitude quite and offensive and condescending.

To answer the question, I think that you should simply tell them the facts, perhaps emphasizing the wealth of inaccurate info out there.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#9 of 10 Old 07-20-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess I'm wondering... what facts? what *is* the reason that combined feeding is worse the bm only?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#10 of 10 Old 07-20-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
I guess I'm wondering... what facts? what *is* the reason that combined feeding is worse the bm only?
change in gut flora, leaky gut, increased risk of infection, for a start. this is why chances of baby getting hiv are drastically increased with mixed feeds (for example)

nak

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page