You should feed him formula *and* breastmilk, so you get the best of both worlds? - Mothering Forums
Lactivism > You should feed him formula *and* breastmilk, so you get the best of both worlds?
texmati's Avatar texmati 05:35 PM 07-16-2010
What do you say to this?

I've heard this a couple of times in DH's family-- mostly people who were raised in india. Something about formula having all the vitamins in case your milk was missing something, and of course you'd want to nurse at night, because it's easier than getting up.

These people, for the most part, aren't lazy, or mainstream, and they respect the mother child bond. They have a strong family support of nursing. What can I say to them (gently) to dispute this?

ASusan's Avatar ASusan 05:40 PM 07-16-2010
Maybe tell them that only in cases of extreme maternal malnutrition this might be the case? Remind them that you have great pre-natal and post-natal nutrition and that you take all your vitamins, etc. (whatever they feel comfortable with and think is appropriate). Remind them that you eat lots of ___ (insert Indian foods that they think are healthy, they prepare for you, etc.).

If it weren't relatives from another culture, I'd be more inclined to say the formula world is always inferior to what nature provides. Or something even more snarky.
PatioGardener's Avatar PatioGardener 05:43 PM 07-16-2010
How about "I'd rather not take the chance of increasing his risk of illness and health problems, which we know can happen if baby is fed anything but breastmilk in the first 6 months of life. Oh that <<insert culturally appropriate equivalent to bean dip>> looks tasty, please pass some over here!"

It's kinda hard to tell a Mama to do something when you have just been told that it could negatively impact baby's health.
Emmeline II's Avatar Emmeline II 10:40 PM 07-16-2010
You could just say that isn't a problem in this country.
WifeofAnt's Avatar WifeofAnt 03:08 AM 07-17-2010
You could (since most people worship doctors like Gods) mention that your doctor says its healthier to breastfeed without supplementing.

"I know you care about (Child) and just want what is best but his/her pediatrician thinks its better if we don't supplement."
crunchy_mommy's Avatar crunchy_mommy 04:14 PM 07-18-2010
I think I'd say something like, "Mom's milk is perfectly balanced and the most ideal food for babies. Unless mom was extremely malnourished, it contains all the vitamins & minerals baby needs. I am not malnourished & I make sure to eat a really healthy diet, so I know my milk is just right for baby! In our case, feeding him/her formula would only jeopardize my milk supply and deprive baby of all that perfect nourishment & antibodies from my milk."
goldenwillow's Avatar goldenwillow 05:05 PM 07-18-2010
Just have them read the formula label and hope they research more about it!!
soso-lynn's Avatar soso-lynn 10:18 PM 07-20-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Maybe tell them that only in cases of extreme maternal malnutrition this might be the case? Remind them that you have great pre-natal and post-natal nutrition and that you take all your vitamins, etc. (whatever they feel comfortable with and think is appropriate). Remind them that you eat lots of ___ (insert Indian foods that they think are healthy, they prepare for you, etc.).

If it weren't relatives from another culture, I'd be more inclined to say the formula world is always inferior to what nature provides. Or something even more snarky.
I find that ethnocentric attitude quite and offensive and condescending.

To answer the question, I think that you should simply tell them the facts, perhaps emphasizing the wealth of inaccurate info out there.
texmati's Avatar texmati 11:00 PM 07-20-2010
I guess I'm wondering... what facts? what *is* the reason that combined feeding is worse the bm only?
PatioGardener's Avatar PatioGardener 11:07 PM 07-20-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
I guess I'm wondering... what facts? what *is* the reason that combined feeding is worse the bm only?
change in gut flora, leaky gut, increased risk of infection, for a start. this is why chances of baby getting hiv are drastically increased with mixed feeds (for example)

nak
Up