Dr Lisa Masterson gives bad advice again! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 07-23-2010, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh holy hell, it can be "sawing at your nipples with a dull serated knife" pain. Crying while your are holding your newborn to your breast, clenching your teeth, toe-curling, silent screaming pain. And everything was fine. No tongue tie, no latch issues. Just pain in the beginning. If you just founf discomfort consider yourself fortunate.
Posted via Mobile Device
#32 of 37 Old 07-23-2010, 04:24 PM

I experienced a lot of pain, too. I took Tylenol to keep nursing. I figured that was better than not. And my pre-baby nipples were too sensitive to touch. At 5 months PP, my nipples are STILL too sensitive for anyone to touch them. I don't think there is anything wrong. This is my second child and he is growing well. This time around the engorgemen pain was MUCH less but I surprised that I still had nipple pain the first few weeks. Baby # 2 latched in the hospital but it hurt so much I was sure that wasn't right. Turned out to be fine. Just painful. I feel like my pain only lasted a month. But I get new pain when trying new positions (side lying or tummy-tummy). I figured I had the wrong sort of "callouses."

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#33 of 37 Old 07-24-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepaperclip View Post
Oh holy hell, it can be "sawing at your nipples with a dull serated knife" pain. Crying while your are holding your newborn to your breast, clenching your teeth, toe-curling, silent screaming pain. And everything was fine. No tongue tie, no latch issues. Just pain in the beginning. If you just founf discomfort consider yourself fortunate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Same here, with both who both had wonderful latch and no tongue-tie...The second time it dawned on me...I have HUGE breasts. The areola are large as well, so for her to latch well onto this large area with her tiny tiny little bird mouth...something's gotta give! As she grew (especially as her mouth grew larger) I got more comfortable. That's just my take on it!
#34 of 37 Old 07-24-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
It was toe curling, teeth clenchingly painful for me when breastfeeding DD1!
I wish I had known that it could be, I felt like a complete failure at breastfeeding until we finally got it together after 8 long weeks. Inverted nipples and engorgement combined with a sleepy 6 pound baby led to bleeding and pain that was so bad I wanted to use that stupid can of formula that I got in the mail!
Quote:
I have HUGE breasts. The areola are large as well, so for her to latch well onto this large area with her tiny tiny little bird mouth...something's gotta give! As she grew (especially as her mouth grew larger) I got more comfortable. That's just my take on it!
I had pain starting around week 2. My son liked to eat every 2 hours and feedings would last an hour. I dreaded feeding him cause it hurt so bad. I cried when he latched on. It was awful. Made labor seem like a cakewalk. He tore up one of my nipples and since he was always feeding, it never had a chance to heal. I tried so many creams and pumped for some feedings. He was so tiny that it was hard to get my nipple in his mouth. Saw an LC and his latch was good for the most part except sometimes it was a little shallow. He got enough milk though. After week 8 it got better. He got more efficient and reduced his nursing time and his mouth got bigger so it was easier for him.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#35 of 37 Old 07-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Banned

My midwife made sure I had lansinoh, and recommended that I keep up paracetamol (if in pain) and Rescue Remedy and what-not. She came over every couple of day once DD was born and she checked the latch, and the nipples and positioning etc. And asked me questions about the pain (toe-curling, screaming, pain with let-down? Normal. Chafed, sore nipples? Yeah, with latch ok, also normal). No, she wasn't an LC, and she didn't stay and observe for a longer time, so she missed that there were transfer issues (supply issues/swallowing issues, still not sure what caused it), but they were unrelated to the pain anyway.

I think it is a good thing to prepare mothers that some initial pain is normal - doesn't mean all women experience pain, but that it is total normal to do so. Which on the other hand doesn't mean that all pain is normal. And that it is a good idea to have somebody check the baby's latch etc.

But I've met far to many women who claim they "couldn't breastfeed", because of the pain, so they had to stop (usually within the first 5 weeks). Along with "I didn't have enough milk", this is the most common reason I've heard from women not breastfeeding (where I live, everyone, or nearly everyone expects to breastfeed, "if you can", as some say).
#36 of 37 Old 07-30-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Yes, it can absolutely be normal. I've actually often thought we do women a grave diservice when we don't tell them breastfeeding can be painful in the first few weeks, because then they freak out and assume something is terribly wrong. When you have a little person sucking on a part of your body 24/7, you can experience some discomfort as your body gets used to things.

Exactly. And when my then 2 yr old got really sick and nursed way more than normal during his hospitalization it hurt...and i cracked and bled too. When the baby was born it hurt then too even though DS was still nursing. It's a change and different. I think it's pretty normal to hurt even when there's no latch problem

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#37 of 37 Old 07-30-2010, 07:03 PM

ITA with PP, but adding that letdown can be uncomfortable to down right painful as well. I've actually found that letdown is more uncomfortable as time goes on (OAL, oversupply, and let down on both sides, multiple times per feeding).

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page