Kicked out of YMCA child watch for NIP in Woburn, MA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-27-2010, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend was told she had to leave the child watch today when she started NIP with her 12 week old son, at the YMCA in Woburn, MA because "eating is not allowed in here." When she went to the front desk to complain, she was told by the worker there that she could not breastfeed in the child watch because "people don't want to see that." She then spoke to the director, and told her it was illegal, and the director said she would "look into it."

There are no breastfeeding legislation laws on the books in MA so technically their actions are not illegal. What can be done about this? Thanks for any suggestions.
#2 of 5 Old 07-27-2010, 01:18 PM

I thought MA had the law that a woman can breastfeed in any place, public or private, where she otherwise has the right to be?

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#3 of 5 Old 07-27-2010, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
There are no breastfeeding legislation laws on the books in MA so technically their actions are not illegal.
Yes there are...

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/111-221.htm

#4 of 5 Old 07-27-2010, 01:38 PM

Actually Massachusetts has very strong breastfeeding laws on the books.

Quote:
A mother may breastfeed her child in any public place or establishment or place which is open to and accepts or solicits the patronage of the general public and where the mother and her child may otherwise lawfully be present.
It also contains language protecting breastfeeding from being considered lewd conduct, disallows anyone to "restrict, harass or penalize a mother who is breastfeeding her child," and allows civil action (sueing) for equitable relief to restrain OR PREVENT someone from violating mother/baby's rights.

Your friend has a very strong case against this YMCA.
#5 of 5 Old 07-27-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katies_mama View Post
My friend was told she had to leave the child watch today when she started NIP with her 12 week old son, at the YMCA in Woburn, MA because "eating is not allowed in here." When she went to the front desk to complain, she was told by the worker there that she could not breastfeed in the child watch because "people don't want to see that." She then spoke to the director, and told her it was illegal, and the director said she would "look into it."

There are no breastfeeding legislation laws on the books in MA so technically their actions are not illegal. What can be done about this? Thanks for any suggestions.
I want to see that. I wish I saw more Mama's NIP.
Unbeleivable. I hope she pursues legal action against them.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page