what do you do when you get formula in the mail?? - Mothering Forums
Lactivism > what do you do when you get formula in the mail??
Bebe's Mom's Avatar Bebe's Mom 03:40 PM 07-31-2010
Not sure where to put this, so I will put it here...I just received a can of Enfamil in the mail. I am not going to use it, but I feel guilty throwing it away. Any suggestions on what to do with it??? I also get coupons and such all the time.

triana1326's Avatar triana1326 04:41 PM 07-31-2010
Maybe leave it at the food bank or local WIC office? I'm not sure what I'd do with it because I'm so against FF, but there are babies out there with moms who need formula and can't afford it....
EdnaMarie's Avatar EdnaMarie 04:53 PM 07-31-2010
Give it to a women's shelter or food bank. Yes, it would be nice if they all breastfed, but the truth is, some don't. At least you know it is going to a baby that really needs it. They might even use it for an older child if they are desperate. Sadly, we don't have enough milk banks to provide for all children that need artificial milk so that's the best we can do for now.
Bebe's Mom's Avatar Bebe's Mom 07:09 PM 07-31-2010
Yeah I figure I will donate it. What I really wish is that they just wouldn't send me the stuff, I don't even want it in the house, lol.
nmelanson's Avatar nmelanson 07:52 PM 07-31-2010
I got one too! I don't know how or why it was sent! I was pissed. I do feel bad about throwing it away though, so I left it by the front door to take to the food bank. DS1 got into it and opened the seal. I felt sad for the waste as I know someone could have used it. I kind of felt embarassed that mt MW saw it in the house.... I hope she didn't think I was going to use it.
crunchy_mommy's Avatar crunchy_mommy 08:42 PM 07-31-2010
I give it away on Freecyle -- both the cans & the checks
StephandOwen's Avatar StephandOwen 09:33 PM 07-31-2010
I got a bunch of cans and a bunch of checks/coupons when ds was born. I brought them all to a shelter for abused women and children.
griffin2004's Avatar griffin2004 09:51 PM 07-31-2010
Or you could give it to someone fostering an infant. The WIC checks don't provide a full month's worth of formula.
haydn'smommy's Avatar haydn'smommy 10:11 AM 08-01-2010
I take them to my office. There are always patients that have to buy formula because they don't qualify for WIC or mamas that forget to bring formula for their babe to their appointment or run out cause they didn't expect to be there that long. We get a few samples from the company but they don't last long, so extras are nice to have to help out my patients that use it.
lynsage's Avatar lynsage 11:26 AM 08-01-2010
Any piece of mail that comes to your house unsolicited can have "RTS, RETURN TO SENDER" written on it and put back in the mailbox. The carrier has to take it back, and if there's a legible return address anywhere on it (you can help by circling the return address and drawing an arrow to it), they will deliver it back to the sender.
phathui5's Avatar phathui5 03:35 AM 08-02-2010
I always just threw it away.
~Boudicca~'s Avatar ~Boudicca~ 02:23 PM 08-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
I give it away on Freecyle -- both the cans & the checks
Yup.
WC_hapamama's Avatar WC_hapamama 05:51 PM 08-03-2010
I tend to just donate it to the food bank.
Up