Costco Connection violation of WHO Code - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-31-2010, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every time I get a new edition of Costco Connection magazine, I get annoyed when I see an advertisement for baby formula and plan to write a letter complaining.

Here it is -

"Dear Costco,

I am an avid Costco shopper and regular reader of your magazine. I am writing to inform you that your advertisement of infant formula in Costco Connection is in violation of the World Health Organization’s International Code of Marketing of Breast-Milk Substitutes and relevant World Health Assembly Resolutions.

 No advertising of artificial infant feeding products to the general public
 ALL information on artificial infant feeding, including that on labels, should explain the benefits of breastfeeding and the costs and hazards associated with artificial feeding
 ALL information on artificial infant feeding, including that on labels, should explain the benefits of breastfeeding and the costs and hazards associated with artificial feeding
 Manufacturers and distributors should comply with the Code's provisions even if countries have not adopted laws or other measures

The aim of the International Code is to remove commercial pressure to formula feed and to protect against the distribution of biased information to pregnant women and mothers.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months and continued breastfeeding a year or longer.

The World Health Organization recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months and continued breastfeeding for 2 years or more.

I have always known Costco to be on the leading edge in its treatment of employees, its commitment to offering quality products, and in its selection of organic offerings.

Please consider mothers and babies and eliminate all advertising of infant formula in your magazine and explain the benefits of breastfeeding and risks of formula feeding on your artificial baby milk products."

Please join me in "educating" Costco about the WHO code and letting them know that we're paying attention to who their advertisers are

Monica
#2 of 7 Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 PM

I don't see the point. It's not like they're somewhere like Babies R Us that specializes in products for babies.

At my local costco, the formula is in the same section as the razors, cigarettes, contact lens solution and enemas are.
#3 of 7 Old 08-03-2010, 05:22 PM

I get annoyed at those ads, too.

I think writing a letter is good--maybe they're just not aware. Seems like breastfeeding is something that Costco would care about. You might also mention the environmental impact of formula feeding, since Costco claims to care about being green.
#4 of 7 Old 08-05-2010, 12:10 PM

Thank you, thank you for posting this!

Every month when I get my Costco magazine I get so annoyed when I see this. The most recent one even said some very inflammatory statement about the formula being just like breastmilk! I keep telling myself I want to write them an angry letter but I never know how to get started with the Code info. I think I will use this as a start and put into my own words and send it. I would like to send it to both the Costco Connection magazine as well as Costco's CEO/Corporate Office.

It really bothers me because I think Costco is generally such a responsible corporation. I expect much more from them than say Sam's Club/Wal-Mart. I have to wonder if they perhaps are not aware of the WHO Code.

I think it would be great if we started a letter-writing campaign! Hopefully they will see the error of their ways.

They also sometimes include formula in their monthly coupon mailing - isn't that against the WHO code also?

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#5 of 7 Old 08-09-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
They also sometimes include formula in their monthly coupon mailing - isn't that against the WHO code also?
Yes it is.

I also have a Costco membership and I will send them a letter.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#6 of 7 Old 08-09-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

I did get a response from the woman in charge of advertising. She sent me a link from Abbott that claims that they're in compliance with the WHO code. She did say that they were going to investigate it themselves and not just take Abbott's word for it.

I replied and sent her a link to INFACT Canada and a couple of other links that will hopefully help with the 'investigation.'

Other letters that say that they're paying attention to who advertises with Costco would be great!

I was impressed that I heard from them rather quickly I really do like Costco and hope that they fix this code violation!
#7 of 7 Old 08-09-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica3674 View Post
I did get a response from the woman in charge of advertising. She sent me a link from Abbott that claims that they're in compliance with the WHO code. She did say that they were going to investigate it themselves and not just take Abbott's word for it.

I replied and sent her a link to INFACT Canada and a couple of other links that will hopefully help with the 'investigation.'

Other letters that say that they're paying attention to who advertises with Costco would be great!

I was impressed that I heard from them rather quickly I really do like Costco and hope that they fix this code violation!
Hats off to you for taking this on! I look forward to hearing what happens.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page