World Breastfeeding Week - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-01-2010, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone doing anything special for World Breastfeeding Week? Breastfeeding in public more often than usual, maybe?

(First week of August, every year)

(Why is the mommy of color so much smaller?)

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#2 of 16 Old 08-03-2010, 12:26 AM

Only 'special' things I've done thus far are change my Facebook profile picture to one of him nursing (at about 9 months; it's my most recent picture) and this morning I took a picture of him eating with my phone and made it my background picture. Nothing too big or exciting, but I like feeling like I'm 'celebrating' in a way.

SAH Mama of two intact kiddos: Kaitlyn (31 Oct '05) and Julian (7 July '09).  signcirc1.gif

#3 of 16 Old 08-03-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
Only 'special' things I've done thus far are change my Facebook profile picture to one of him nursing
great idea!

will try to nip whenever possible too!

nak
#4 of 16 Old 08-03-2010, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I changed my FB profile pic to one of J's first BF. I also did a status update explaining why I'd changed my profile pic.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 16 Old 08-03-2010, 02:36 AM

Last year, I posted articles about breastfeeding, 1/day, all week on my FB page. I plan to do the same - probably post a link to each section of the USA BFHI webpages, this year. I posted "Watch your Language" last year, and an article about the ecological benefits of breastfeeding.

One year, I want to have planned ahead well enough to have ordered a bunch of good breastfeeding books to donate to the local library for WBW. Not just straight-out breastfeeding books, but other books which are supportive of breastfeeding too (like The No Cry Sleep Solution, and Sears books, etc.). Even if the library already has a copy of some of the books, having an extra one available when a mother comes in is NOT a bad thing.

I've also thought about purchasing Dr. Hale's book and dropping it by the two Pediatricians' offices, and the two OB offices, here in town - or maybe to the pharmacies instead. I know the Peds and OBs here are quite supportive of breastfeeding, and our Ped would look that information up beyond the "Physician's Desk Reference," but having the actual Hale volume available might be extra-good. Maybe the local WIC office would like to have that, too.

There's not really a breastfeeding support group here or anything - this would be a GREAT week to donate "Breastfeeding Mom!" bags at local hospitals, for groups who can't afford to do that year 'round. Maybe one day I'll get my LLL certification and start a group here ....

Not all who wander are lost.
#6 of 16 Old 08-03-2010, 02:57 AM

I've been nip all over Orange County CA the past two weeks while on vacation...

DD ate like 9 times at Disney alone!
#7 of 16 Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 AM

I posted how long we'd been nursing on FB, and got crap from people saying it was weird. . I'm now looking for good articles to post the remainder of the week.
#8 of 16 Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
Last year, I posted articles about breastfeeding, 1/day, all week on my FB page. I plan to do the same - probably post a link to each section of the USA BFHI webpages, this year. I posted "Watch your Language" last year, and an article about the ecological benefits of breastfeeding.
Great idea! I love "Watch Your Language" so I started with that. Will have to find others for the rest of the week.

SAH Mama of two intact kiddos: Kaitlyn (31 Oct '05) and Julian (7 July '09).  signcirc1.gif

#9 of 16 Old 08-03-2010, 12:13 PM

I have to be honest: I teach HS students, and a lot of my recent grads are FB friends, so I do try to keep things low-key. But, I just posted this as a status update: "Boobies are food, people. Happy World Breastfeeding Week." I love that some of my former 10th graders, now 19 and 20 years old, even boys, "liked" my status!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#10 of 16 Old 08-03-2010, 10:23 PM

A single male friend of mine posted about WBW today as his status - he'd noticed a few of his friends had posted about it. It was great (he posted a link to the site, too) -- of course, his advocacy was a little tongue in cheek -- something about he's always glad to celebrate breasts. But still fun to see him mentioning it. I think it was food for thought for some of our mutual single friends.

Not all who wander are lost.
#11 of 16 Old 08-03-2010, 10:33 PM

I keep getting flack from a friend's mama on my FB wall. She keeps equating nursing in public without a blanket as "exposing oneself" even though I've stated over and over, even posting a video for a visual example, that generally one doesn't see ANY breast when a woman is nursing.

Orthodox Mama
#12 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wanted to do a series of blog posts. Today I did "Breastfeeding: It's About Babies" and tomorrow I want to do one called "Breastfeeding: It's about mothers." Any ideas for good resources on the advantages of breastfeeding for maternal health?

And then I want to do one on how it benefits families, how it benefits the environment, and maybe, if I don't lose steam, one on it being God's design and one about how it benefits the workplace/society at large.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#13 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 09:32 AM

I am going to do a breastfeeding post on my birthing blog too. Any suggestions?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#14 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaduck
She keeps equating nursing in public without a blanket as "exposing oneself" even though I've stated over and over, even posting a video for a visual example, that generally one doesn't see ANY breast when a woman is nursing.
Personally, whenever I breastfed in public, I exposed my entire breast. The point is that it doesn't matter how much breast is visible, because there's nothing indecent about breasts. A woman's chest shouldn't be any more taboo than a man's. If anything, ours should be considered more acceptable, since we need to use them to feed our children.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#15 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
Only 'special' things I've done thus far are change my Facebook profile picture to one of him nursing (at about 9 months; it's my most recent picture) and this morning I took a picture of him eating with my phone and made it my background picture. Nothing too big or exciting, but I like feeling like I'm 'celebrating' in a way.
I like this idea.
Maybe I'll do this one tomorrow.
I took a pic of DD in her Lactavist onesie and posted on facebook.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#16 of 16 Old 08-05-2010, 04:41 AM

I wrote a blog post about WBW!

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page