Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone seen this yet?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,598528,00.html
#2 of 43 Old 08-03-2010, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
We're supposed to take Gisele Bundchen seriously?

As much as I think that breastfeeding is awesome, I don't think it's something that mothers should be forced to do if they absolutely don't want to after being properly educated about the benefits of breastfeeding.

Besides, she herself only nursed her son for 3 weeks. Is there going to be a loophole in the law for supermodels?
#3 of 43 Old 08-03-2010, 05:34 PM

I kind of like that she was so outspoken about this--even if she went a little far.

I don't think she meant there needs to be a legal law that forces mothers to breastfeed, but rather that the laws should reflect the reality of breastfeeding mothers (time off work, nursing in public, acceptance of EBF, etc.).

Plus it's always good when a celebrity endorses AP practices, like cosleeping, breastfeeding, babywearing... Even if you don't like the celebrity, some good can come of having a little light shone on "controversial" subjects.

Woman, Wife, Mom to beautiful DD (10/14/09), Copywriter, occasionally tearing my hair out but usually pretty happy about it all
#4 of 43 Old 08-03-2010, 05:37 PM

Wonderful to hear someone from such a place of priviledge pronouncing on what less priviledged women should be forced to do
#5 of 43 Old 08-03-2010, 05:47 PM

I don't think she gave up after only 3 weeks.

I think the Fox report got it wrong. She was responding to ANOTHER celebrity who stopped nursing at 3 weeks:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...dkq_Q_bi1bTBGA

Either way, her comments are certainly interesting, but not productive in terms of expanding the conversation and support for breastfeeding.
#6 of 43 Old 08-03-2010, 05:51 PM

And with remarks like Dr. Alvarez's, who makes breastfeeding seem like an impossible ideal, who can expect ANYONE to breastfeed????!!! After all, it's SOOOO hard!
#7 of 43 Old 08-03-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tway View Post
I kind of like that she was so outspoken about this--even if she went a little far.

I don't think she meant there needs to be a legal law that forces mothers to breastfeed, but rather that the laws should reflect the reality of breastfeeding mothers (time off work, nursing in public, acceptance of EBF, etc.).

Plus it's always good when a celebrity endorses AP practices, like cosleeping, breastfeeding, babywearing... Even if you don't like the celebrity, some good can come of having a little light shone on "controversial" subjects.
I agree. There are many times when I say to myself "there should be a law about that" (usually about gnarly-toed men wearing sandals LOL) but I don't really mean there should be an international law. I don't see anywhere where she seriously stated that women should be forced to breastfeed. Fox, as usual, is twisting words and implying meaning where there is none.

Honestly, I think there should be strong laws that support breastfeeding (not force it) and protect the breastfeeding relationship. Absolutely. Like the WHO code with giant enormous sharp teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC_hapamama View Post
Besides, she herself only nursed her son for 3 weeks. Is there going to be a loophole in the law for supermodels?
Shouldn't come as a surprise, but Fox got this wrong. Way wrong.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#8 of 43 Old 08-03-2010, 06:37 PM

I actually like this. With all to "too posh to push" celebs out there, it's nice to see some going back to basics. And she had a waterbirth drug-free, apparently, which is neat.

I have honestly thought for a while that formula should be by prescription only. That breastfeeding should be the assumed norm, and that only in the rare case that is absolutely cannot work should formula be used. ESPECIALLY in WIC cases or other government assistance programs.

Sorry if that sounds awful, but- it is really how I feel. I think it's too easy for people NOT to nurse, they just "don't feel like it", they don't even try.

forever following the lead of a colorful active little monkey
#9 of 43 Old 08-03-2010, 08:28 PM

I totally wear the lactivist badge with pride, but "MANDATORY" breastfeeding? Gosh, I can't imagine why people see us as intolerant harpies.

*facepalm*

How about mandatory 24/7 IBCLC support available in hospitals instead, for starters, if something has to be "mandatory"?

(And yes, Fox got it wrong - she did NOT only breastfeed for 3 weeks.)
#10 of 43 Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
Wonderful to hear someone from such a place of privilege pronouncing on what less privileged women should be forced to do
Exactly what I was thinking.

Plus, 3 weeks?! I was still dealing with lochia at 3 weeks! If 3 weeks makes her the guru, then I'm the Pope at 15m and there are some women here who are simply the Almighty.
(capitalization of any deity is a big thing for me, so, you know I'm serious)

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#11 of 43 Old 08-03-2010, 10:24 PM

Considering the source (FOX); I will wait until August 5th and read the Harper’s Bazaar UK article (the quoted source of the statement), then make a judgement call.

Jennifer, first time Mom, working full time, married to Paul. Katherine "Kate" Mary Lou was born 8.10.10.
#12 of 43 Old 08-03-2010, 10:35 PM

Please keep the forum guidelines and UA in mind when posting. The purpose of this forum is breastfeeding advocacy, so let's focus on this story and how it does or does not promote breastfeeding. Thanks!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#13 of 43 Old 08-03-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama1803 View Post
Quote:
Supermodel Gisele Bundchen Thinks Mothers Should Be Forced to Breastfeed
Well that is the title of the article.

Reading the actual quotes though, she said

Quote:
"I think there should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breast-feed their babies for six months," said Bundchen, 30.
Not the same thing.

Making a law that women should BF is not that same as forcing women to breastfeed. It says should, not must.

Not a very accurate title to the article IMO
#14 of 43 Old 08-03-2010, 10:56 PM

If her goal was to try and gain some converts, I think she should have stuck with describing what a positive experience breastfeeding was for her and her baby and laid off the lecturing.
#15 of 43 Old 08-04-2010, 09:31 AM

The Association of Breastfeeding Mothers has a response here:
http://www.abm.me.uk/abm-response-da...-3-august-2010
#16 of 43 Old 08-04-2010, 12:22 PM

Apparently Gisele Bundchen posted a clarification:
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/gisele-bun...to-judge/45072

Quote:
"I am sure if I would just be sitting talking about my experiences with other mothers, we would just be sharing opinions," she wrote. "I understand that everyone has their own experience and opinions and I am not here to judge. I believe that bringing a life into this world is the single most important thing a person can undertake, and it can also be the most challenging," she adds. "I think as mothers we are all just trying our best."

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#17 of 43 Old 08-04-2010, 12:24 PM

Eh. Not impressed with the clarification...
#18 of 43 Old 08-04-2010, 12:42 PM

Her actual statements (minus the Fox News title and lead in) just sound like hyperbole to me, not an actual suggestion for international law.

Also, Fox is misreporting how long she breastfed, as PPs have pointed out.
#19 of 43 Old 08-04-2010, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by odenata View Post
Her actual statements (minus the Fox News title and lead in) just sound like hyperbole to me, not an actual suggestion for international law.

Also, Fox is misreporting how long she breastfed, as PPs have pointed out.
I think when high profile celebrities make hyperbolic statements in support of breastfeeding, it hurts the ultimate statement. Breastfeeding should be something women are ENCOURAGED to do with laws that SUPPORT them, not GUILTED into doing. Putting aside her statements about making a law, her statements about giving children "chemical food" doesn't exactly send the right message, IMO. I strongly believe that women will come to breastfeeding with positive language that encourages breastfeeding as opposed to using negative language to discourage formula feeding. I don't think calling formula "chemical food" will encourage breastfeeding, I think it just makes women who don't breastfeed (for whatever reason) feel guilty about how they're feeding their child.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#20 of 43 Old 08-04-2010, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post
I agree. There are many times when I say to myself "there should be a law about that" (usually about gnarly-toed men wearing sandals LOL) but I don't really mean there should be an international law. I don't see anywhere where she seriously stated that women should be forced to breastfeed. Fox, as usual, is twisting words and implying meaning where there is none.

Honestly, I think there should be strong laws that support breastfeeding (not force it) and protect the breastfeeding relationship. Absolutely. Like the WHO code with giant enormous sharp teeth.

Shouldn't come as a surprise, but Fox got this wrong. Way wrong.
I agree. And it's not like the President is signing this into effect over a Supermodel's vague statement, people. Everyone needs to lighten up over it.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#21 of 43 Old 08-04-2010, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
People can wish things for others all they want but they cannot and should not enforce their beliefs on others.

I personally would want everyone to have natural childbirth, be pro-choice and have a college degree.
#22 of 43 Old 08-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj's_mom View Post
I actually like this. With all to "too posh to push" celebs out there, it's nice to see some going back to basics. And she had a waterbirth drug-free, apparently, which is neat.

I have honestly thought for a while that formula should be by prescription only. That breastfeeding should be the assumed norm, and that only in the rare case that is absolutely cannot work should formula be used. ESPECIALLY in WIC cases or other government assistance programs.

Sorry if that sounds awful, but- it is really how I feel. I think it's too easy for people NOT to nurse, they just "don't feel like it", they don't even try.
I have voiced this thought myself. More often these days I feel like formula should be offered only by prescription with a truly established need for it. I also think if it were only available by prescription insurance should pick up the tab or at least part of it.
#23 of 43 Old 08-06-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heba View Post
The Association of Breastfeeding Mothers has a response here:
http://www.abm.me.uk/abm-response-da...-3-august-2010
Wow check out those high BFing rates!

Quote:
It is thought that around 98% of mothers could fully breastfeed if they had the information and skills available to them, and in fact many countries around the world achieve this figure. The breastfeeding initiation rates from Norway, Sweden, Romania, Czech Republic etc are over 97% and in Sri Lanka, for example, the initiation rate is 79% and the exclusive breastfeeding rate for babies of 6 months is 75%.
That's fantastic!
#24 of 43 Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 AM

The correct statement would have been, "All women should be EMPOWERED to breastfeed."

I do think that upon becomming pregnant, the following courses should be required:

*how birth works (real birth, not hurried medical birth),

*a course on breastfeeding and scientific data about the benefits

*informational class on the Prepuce and its functions and importance and leanr about the surgical removal (with a video presentation of the actual procedure)

*and finally a parenting class

Then I think all women should be supported to stay at home by the government to breastfeed their babies and raise them the first year at least. Other countries do this. We should too.

I think by empowering and educating women we would see far better results with gentle parenting.

Ahhhh in a perfect world.

Torre , Momma to Abrielle (4/07) and Annalise (7/09), Birthdoula, CNA, Aspiring Nurse, and wanna-be baby catcher. I ATE MY !
#25 of 43 Old 08-06-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj's_mom View Post

ITA. But in order for that to happen we would need peds that are TRULY knowledgeable about breastfeeding and the benefits of EBF for both mom and baby. Though, there would have to be a lot more LLL leaders out there, and lactation consultants -- help that is readily available, esp. for first time mamas. I don't know how the logistics of it would play out, but I do think formula should be by prescription only, as an absolute last resort(as c-sections should be too). People are way too quick to say they "couldn't" when in fact they just don't really want to put forth the effort to do what's right for the baby. It's TOO easy right now to go to whatever store and pick up a can of formula. Way too easy.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#26 of 43 Old 08-06-2010, 11:02 AM

I read the quotes. Taken in their context it seemed to me like she was saying it should be law in the way someone might say "this cake is amazing, we should eat this every day! It should be a law!" - very flippantly and thinking of the amazingness of the cake not the legal repercussions of cake-eating!

When celebrities say anything we have it pushed in our faces - it's kind of a shame she's been taken so seriously. I get the impression from the tone of the retraction that she was *just talking* when that statement came out - she's a new mum, she's passionate. That should be celebrated, even if her remarks shouldn't be published.

The celebrity who gave up after 3 weeks is Denise Van Outen - i don't know how famous she is in America, she's pretty well-known over here in the UK. For her the issue wasn't feeding, it was that she didn't want paparazzi taking pictures of her bare breasts while she was feeding and then putting them in newspapers. I am a proud BFer and don't mind NIP one bit, but it would squick me out to think every time i NIP'd i might have to look at myself doing so in all the tabloids the next day. That's hardly something most women are going to be worried about when deciding how to feed!
#27 of 43 Old 08-06-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post
The celebrity who gave up after 3 weeks is Denise Van Outen - i don't know how famous she is in America, she's pretty well-known over here in the UK. For her the issue wasn't feeding, it was that she didn't want paparazzi taking pictures of her bare breasts while she was feeding and then putting them in newspapers. I am a proud BFer and don't mind NIP one bit, but it would squick me out to think every time i NIP'd i might have to look at myself doing so in all the tabloids the next day. That's hardly something most women are going to be worried about when deciding how to feed!
Maybe there could be a clause in the law to allow for pumping and bottle feeding in case of extreme circumstances.
#28 of 43 Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post
I have voiced this thought myself. More often these days I feel like formula should be offered only by prescription with a truly established need for it. I also think if it were only available by prescription insurance should pick up the tab or at least part of it.
Who gets to decide what a "truly established need" entails?
#29 of 43 Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommatoAandA View Post
The correct statement would have been, "All women should be EMPOWERED to breastfeed."

I do think that upon becomming pregnant, the following courses should be required:
Really? You think there should be required classes if you get pregnant. It's one thing to affirm in writing what people should do, it's a totally other thing to require such.
#30 of 43 Old 08-07-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Really? You think there should be required classes if you get pregnant. It's one thing to affirm in writing what people should do, it's a totally other thing to require such.
I actually think BFing should be covered in sex ed at school. Why isn't it? Why are we supposed to learn the most important and relevant things we need to know about childrearing in the 6 or so months between the end of morning sickness and the start of labour, when most of us are already working and looking after a home. For that matter, why do so many kids learn about sex and safety when they could already be sexually active? Our whole social education system seems to be fire fighting. Why aren't boys taught about BFing in high school so they can properly support and nurture their future partners in the task of feeding ther babies? I think the classes offered in pregnancy, even if they were compulsory (and i wouldn't attend, FWIW, because i know they'd be mainstream classes and not pertinent to me), are too little too late.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page