The Big Latch On Aotearoa - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-07-2010, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday was the Big Latch On, an event in which a world record of mothers all breastfeeding at once, is attempted. I went to it at a local cafe 2 years ago when DD was 5 months old. It was an amazing feeling - because we had had to work so hard for breastfeeding, I was elated that I was STILL breastfeeding!

DD is nearly 2 1/2 now, and we are STILL breastfeeding!!!!!!!! So we attended this event again, this time in Council Chamber at the City Hall. There were several hundred mothers there with there babies and children of various ages (DD was certainly one of the oldest, but it didn't feel strange at all, and everyone was really nice). The Mayor spoke - our Mayor is a retired midwife (but of course midwives are the norm here) - and she held her 1 yo granddaughter the whole time she talked about what a wonderful gift breastfeeding is, and how important it is for children's health , and how important it is to dare to breastfeed in public, in the office, in the cafe, at the library... Then she lifted her granddaughter into the air and ended by saying: "My granddaughter is 12 months old - and she's still fully breastfed!"
Cool, isn't it?

They gave all participants lots of info and stuff, pamphlets about Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative (the event was run the by the Hospital's Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative Coordinator), which is all about what hospitals need to do to support breastfeeding (and actually do here), and about various breastfeeding classes, which are becoming very popular here. And we got a breastfeeding DVD with the Ministry of Health's badge on. DD got a little toy lion.

And they had loads of cool prizes in a raffle that our attendance put us into, and a TV presenter, the mum of 15 month old still breastfed twins (who had a difficult breastfeeding journey, which she has publicly spoken about before) read out the winners.

I'm glad I'm in a country where breastfeeding is actually normal (so's formulafeeding, I guess, but almost all mums plan to breastfeed, if not all exclusively), and where you are not a total UFO for breastfeeding a child over a year old.

So, we latched on in support for breastfeeding mums everywhere! And hoping they'll get the support they need to get breastfeeding to work for them!
#2 of 3 Old 08-07-2010, 05:43 AM

Yay! Do they have final numbers yet?

I was looking at pics on facebook from a group in West Auckland (actually a baby-wearing group) that had approx 30 people latching on (I think!), but I wasn't able to make it. I'll have to try for it next year, considering this kid is currently still placenta-fed

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
#3 of 3 Old 08-08-2010, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

108 at the Council Chambers.

The provisional total nationwide was 1474, which is a new record!

But that was Friday afternoon, and there where still 15 venues that hadn't reported their numbers yet. We probably won't know until Monday.

They had advertised in advance that buggies had to be left downstairs, and suggested mums wear their babies, so most did. I wore DD in the MeiTai when we left and she was tired, but she wore her cat in her little MeiTai the whole time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page