Old Navy t-shirt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2010, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Apologies if this has been posted already...

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...scid=771696002

"window shopping" a couple of days ago I came across this onesie. Words fail me...

I'm drafting a note to Old Navy to express my disappointment and explain why I'll be shopping elsewhere from now on.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 01:01 AM

Wow.

I'm me. In love with this guy. We're bringing up two girls: Big A (8) and Little A (3)

Old 08-13-2010, 01:02 AM

Whoa! That is horrible! I don't even really understand it, really. Why on earth would they need to state that it is "formula" in the bottle? What about "Milk powered"? Not that they should be putting a bottle in that little starburst thingie. Just so many things wrong with that onesie....

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 08-13-2010, 02:52 AM

my reaction to this is simply... how strange... and that it also doesn't totally make sense. I am not surprised or angered, though. Maybe I'm just a cynic but this is just indicative of a lot of the terrible decisions being made by people every day. really the dumbing down of society. Lately I have seen a toddler with bahavioral issues being given buckets of juice, frozen pizza and hot dogs in one day. I have also heard about two mothers who "had" to stop breastfeeding at under three months old due to digestive issues... it is sad.

DD 5/09 and a new little one 4/11
Old 08-13-2010, 02:53 AM

I don't have any feelings for the shirt except that I don't get it
Old 08-13-2010, 03:01 AM

I just reread my post. it sounds awfully grumpy, which in general I am not... that shirt is really, counterproductive, unnecessary, and not helpful...
E.

DD 5/09 and a new little one 4/11
Old 08-13-2010, 03:51 AM
2xy

I sent some feedback to Old Navy, as well. That shirt is gross.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietmim View Post
I just reread my post. it sounds awfully grumpy, which in general I am not... that shirt is really, counterproductive, unnecessary, and not helpful...
E.
Actually I agreed with it. The shirt doesn't make me angry, just - I can't understand why they made it, or why anyone would buy it. But I suspect I'm too entrenched in my parenting style....

Old 08-13-2010, 10:15 AM

ok, so I don't like it...

...but could it just be a bad 'sports baby' joke? The shirt kind of made me think of Formula 1 racing (cars), especially with the numbers. I could imagine some designer somewhere thinking it was a spectacular play on words.

I still think the shirt is bad. don't get me wrong!

nak

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
Old 08-13-2010, 10:19 AM

The gray version says something about a "racing team"- so likely that is all they were thinking about.

It's just too far outside my parenting value set- why on earth would you tell everyone that your kid is on *formula*? Moms that I know that formula feed are all a bit bummed about it...

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I'm positive it's a play on words with racing. We watch a lot of motor sports here. If it wasn't for the baby bottle I don't think I'd even have made the connection! But the bottle changes things...

Quote:
It's just too far outside my parenting value set- why on earth would you tell everyone that your kid is on *formula*? Moms that I know that formula feed are all a bit bummed about it...
This is exactly what I wanted to say, but wasn't sure how to say it politely - you said it well.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:05 PM

Bummer, I was hoping the link was to a cool, pro-breastfeeding shirt! I was ready to buy!!!

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
Old 08-13-2010, 02:31 PM

I think it's just part and parcel of artificial formula being the norm in our societies. *Sigh* I long for the day when the biological norm is the accepted norm.

So...anyone going to write a review of the product?
Old 08-13-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
Bummer, I was hoping the link was to a cool, pro-breastfeeding shirt! I was ready to buy!!!
Me too. I was totally bummed out.

I was about to post a negative review on the site, but I'm not signing up for a user account just for that.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

Old 08-13-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heba View Post
So...anyone going to write a review of the product?
I did, under 'Breastfeeding Mama'

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:31 PM

Whoa! Words fail me...

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Old 08-13-2010, 11:28 PM

I wrote a review too- I wonder if they'll actually go up on the site?

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:51 PM

I wrote a review too, this is what I said:

I have to express my disappointment in this shirt. Encouraging the use of formula and implying that it is superior nutritionally (formula "powered") is irresponsible. I would love to see a shirt that said "Powered by Mama's Milk". That is something my little ones would wear!

At least they got some feedback, even if it doesnt change much.

Check out my new blog naturalfamilysteading.blogspot.com!
Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 AM

Still no reviews on the site yet
Old 08-14-2010, 02:55 PM

my stomach just turned

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 08-14-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchick View Post
ok, so I don't like it...

...but could it just be a bad 'sports baby' joke? The shirt kind of made me think of Formula 1 racing (cars), especially with the numbers. I could imagine some designer somewhere thinking it was a spectacular play on words.

I still think the shirt is bad. don't get me wrong!

nak
That's how I feel too. I immediately thought of racing, and I don't watch racing of any kind. It just made think of "formula one" and then the play on words. It's a stupid play on words though and I don't like the shirt. But many people in our society would like it and buy it. That's the sad part. I would love if a mainstream giant like Old Navy would have a pro bf shirt for sale!! I'd get it for yet to be conceived dc#3!

Jess, married to awesome hubby Tim, mom to DD1 (6-06), DD2 (2/08)
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
Old 08-14-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrinaquerida View Post

I have to express my disappointment in this shirt. Encouraging the use of formula and implying that it is superior nutritionally (formula "powered") is irresponsible. I would love to see a shirt that said "Powered by Mama's Milk". That is something my little ones would wear.
I like this. Spot on.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:39 PM

while I don't agree with the sentiment of the shirt, I do understand why they made it and why people will buy it. Feeding our babies has become a contentious issue, with breastfeeding moms feeling pressure to cover, feed in private, etc. On the flipside, forumula feeding moms feel disapproval for their choices - look at every pro-BF'ing article, and how 90% of the comments are the "I can't BF!" sort. I see this as a reaction to the pro-BF'ing onesies for sale in certain markets. I think it's a way for forumla feeding moms to validate their decisions through their kid's shirt the same way BF'ing moms do.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLeaf View Post
while I don't agree with the sentiment of the shirt, I do understand why they made it and why people will buy it. Feeding our babies has become a contentious issue, with breastfeeding moms feeling pressure to cover, feed in private, etc. On the flipside, forumula feeding moms feel disapproval for their choices - look at every pro-BF'ing article, and how 90% of the comments are the "I can't BF!" sort. I see this as a reaction to the pro-BF'ing onesies for sale in certain markets. I think it's a way for forumla feeding moms to validate their decisions through their kid's shirt the same way BF'ing moms do.
Well said!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:58 PM

I don't really think it's a big deal. If I had a baby that was fed formula, I might think it was cute. Just like I don't think formula feeding moms should be offended by "I love mama's milk!" type shirts, I don't get being up in arms about something like this. And I understand why a formula feeding mom (for whatever reason they aren't breastfeeding) would get offended reading some of the "reviews" of the product on the Old Navy site.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I don't really think it's a big deal. If I had a baby that was fed formula, I might think it was cute. Just like I don't think formula feeding moms should be offended by "I love mama's milk!" type shirts, I don't get being up in arms about something like this. And I understand why a formula feeding mom (for whatever reason they aren't breastfeeding) would get offended reading some of the "reviews" of the product on the Old Navy site.

I agree with this. It would be different if the baby bottle hadn't been there as well.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 08-20-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLeaf View Post
I completely agree. Breastfeeding is a contentious issue and some women are really judgmental. It's natural that people would feel a need to react to that. Furthermore, it's not different than pro-bf shirts.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I actually disagree. My two oldest had to be on formula for medical reasons at different ages and I can't imagine putting this shirt on them. I would never be offended by pro-bf messages and shirts. I know some people are, but seriously? Everyone should know bf is better for most babies, though it's not always possible. As for formula feeding moms feeling disapproval-other than my own family and a couple friends I have met over the years, I have never met anything but horrendous disapproval down to sexual abuse comments for breastfeeding and around here, ff is the norm and you're a freak if you don't. I don't know anyone who feels they have to be defensive of it as it is normal here. I guess maybe it's a cultural thing? I can't imagine passing on the idea that formula is better or supercharges our kids. Maybe it's because I had to fight so long and so hard with each of my kids to breastfeed, though, and statements like this from a company I believed supported bf through their nursing apparel kind of outrages me.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 08-20-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrinaquerida View Post
I wrote a review too, this is what I said:

I have to express my disappointment in this shirt. Encouraging the use of formula and implying that it is superior nutritionally (formula "powered") is irresponsible. I would love to see a shirt that said "Powered by Mama's Milk". That is something my little ones would wear!

At least they got some feedback, even if it doesnt change much.
Well, I'm the dissenter here. I don't think the tee-shirt AT ALL implies that formula is superior to breastmilk. At most, it implies that baby gets energy from formula (which, I must say, is true... even if it's nutritionally inferior, babies still survive on it).

Some babies get formula. Some babies' lives are saved. And many women never even consider breastfeeding. That's how it is.

It's not our job to SHAME people into nursing or to turn it into something people can't talk about. It's our job to EMPOWER women into doing everything they can to nurse their babies.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 08-20-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I actually disagree. My two oldest had to be on formula for medical reasons at different ages and I can't imagine putting this shirt on them. I would never be offended by pro-bf messages and shirts. I know some people are, but seriously? Everyone should know bf is better for most babies, though it's not always possible. As for formula feeding moms feeling disapproval-other than my own family and a couple friends I have met over the years, I have never met anything but horrendous disapproval down to sexual abuse comments for breastfeeding and around here, ff is the norm and you're a freak if you don't. I don't know anyone who feels they have to be defensive of it as it is normal here. I guess maybe it's a cultural thing? I can't imagine passing on the idea that formula is better or supercharges our kids. Maybe it's because I had to fight so long and so hard with each of my kids to breastfeed, though, and statements like this from a company I believed supported bf through their nursing apparel kind of outrages me.
To the bolded - I just don't see that as what the shirt is saying in any way, shape, or form. I think there's validity to the arguments that shirts like this normalize formula (and I think it's fine to address those issues with companies that make or sell things like that), but I don't see anything about this shirt that says "formula feeding is better than breastfeeding." And I think it would be easy to read the outrage in many of those reviews as an attack against formula feeding parents.

User Tag List