Yet another asked to cover at a pool - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-14-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep. I was at the pool with my nearly 4 year old and my 2.5 yr. old. The 2yr old was having a temper tantrum so I decided to nurse her. A pool lifeguard came over and asked me to cover up. I said no. She said people were uncomfortable and I said "so, I'm allowed to nurse, without covering up any place me and my baby are allowed to be." We have a pool pass. I was told by a patron that it was indecent exposure.
They then called the COPS! They never came and we stayed for another hour or so.

So I know to get a hold of First Right. I'm in Delaware so I don't actually know the law, but I'm quite certain it does not require covering up.
I was so upset but held it until I got home.
Any ideas for a letter? I had a ruptured aneurysm several yrs ago and have trouble getting everything out. Any tips on my letter would be great!

Wonder what they would have done if I was tandeming!

Christine

Christine, Brain Aneurysm Survivor SAHM, recently stopped nursing my 4.5 yr old and 3 yr old selective and delayed vax, organic food mama to Rhiannon 4.5 and Brynn 3 ribbonburgundy.gif
#2 of 8 Old 08-14-2010, 05:10 PM

That is insane!

Delewares law "entitles a mother to breastfeed her child in any location of a place of public accommodation wherein the mother is otherwise permitted." (Vol. 71 Del. Laws, Chap. 10)

Funny thing is I am never asked to cover up by strangers. But was asked to go to another room by my DH to on behalf of his brother who is weirded out by breastfeeding.

Wife to Jesse - Mommy to Corigan 4/09 & Hayden 7/10
#3 of 8 Old 08-14-2010, 05:48 PM

I don't understand the forcing women AT THE POOL to cover. Unless it's a dresscode thing (a religious based pool maybe??) I don't see the point. Do they make the girls wear shirts over their bikinis? Maybe I'm uncomfortable with my son seeing that much exposed skin, but would a complaint mean everyone had to cover up? Ugh. I wish I could help with your letter...I'm scatterbrained today!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#4 of 8 Old 08-14-2010, 06:35 PM

Did she really call the cops, or just threaten to? Even if she called them, I hope the reason they never showed up is that they know the law.
#5 of 8 Old 08-14-2010, 06:52 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Mom to Kira March 2009
#6 of 8 Old 08-16-2010, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

No, she really called the cops. I just called the company that manages the pool. I was assured that it's not in their policy to ask someone to cover up while nursing and that she will be addressing this with the one who called the cops and the rest of the staff that what they did was innapropriate.

Christine, Brain Aneurysm Survivor SAHM, recently stopped nursing my 4.5 yr old and 3 yr old selective and delayed vax, organic food mama to Rhiannon 4.5 and Brynn 3 ribbonburgundy.gif
#7 of 8 Old 08-16-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhermes View Post
No, she really called the cops. I just called the company that manages the pool. I was assured that it's not in their policy to ask someone to cover up while nursing and that she will be addressing this with the one who called the cops and the rest of the staff that what they did was innapropriate.
I'm glad they're taking it seriously.
#8 of 8 Old 08-22-2010, 12:02 PM

Here we go again, yada, yada, yada.
Maybe it'll just take another decade or so for those laws to settle in people's brains and attitudes?
Sorry you had to listen to this, momma.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page