Yet another asked to cover at a pool - Mothering Forums
Lactivism > Yet another asked to cover at a pool
cmhermes's Avatar cmhermes 05:50 PM 08-14-2010
Yep. I was at the pool with my nearly 4 year old and my 2.5 yr. old. The 2yr old was having a temper tantrum so I decided to nurse her. A pool lifeguard came over and asked me to cover up. I said no. She said people were uncomfortable and I said "so, I'm allowed to nurse, without covering up any place me and my baby are allowed to be." We have a pool pass. I was told by a patron that it was indecent exposure.
They then called the COPS! They never came and we stayed for another hour or so.

So I know to get a hold of First Right. I'm in Delaware so I don't actually know the law, but I'm quite certain it does not require covering up.
I was so upset but held it until I got home.
Any ideas for a letter? I had a ruptured aneurysm several yrs ago and have trouble getting everything out. Any tips on my letter would be great!

Wonder what they would have done if I was tandeming!

Christine

CrystalCloud's Avatar CrystalCloud 06:10 PM 08-14-2010
That is insane!

Delewares law "entitles a mother to breastfeed her child in any location of a place of public accommodation wherein the mother is otherwise permitted." (Vol. 71 Del. Laws, Chap. 10)

Funny thing is I am never asked to cover up by strangers. But was asked to go to another room by my DH to on behalf of his brother who is weirded out by breastfeeding.

AFWife's Avatar AFWife 06:48 PM 08-14-2010
I don't understand the forcing women AT THE POOL to cover. Unless it's a dresscode thing (a religious based pool maybe??) I don't see the point. Do they make the girls wear shirts over their bikinis? Maybe I'm uncomfortable with my son seeing that much exposed skin, but would a complaint mean everyone had to cover up? Ugh. I wish I could help with your letter...I'm scatterbrained today!
eclipse's Avatar eclipse 07:35 PM 08-14-2010
Did she really call the cops, or just threaten to? Even if she called them, I hope the reason they never showed up is that they know the law.
pumpkin's Avatar pumpkin 07:52 PM 08-14-2010
Posted via Mobile Device
cmhermes's Avatar cmhermes 01:24 PM 08-16-2010
No, she really called the cops. I just called the company that manages the pool. I was assured that it's not in their policy to ask someone to cover up while nursing and that she will be addressing this with the one who called the cops and the rest of the staff that what they did was innapropriate.
eclipse's Avatar eclipse 02:17 PM 08-16-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhermes View Post
No, she really called the cops. I just called the company that manages the pool. I was assured that it's not in their policy to ask someone to cover up while nursing and that she will be addressing this with the one who called the cops and the rest of the staff that what they did was innapropriate.
I'm glad they're taking it seriously.
proudmomof4's Avatar proudmomof4 01:02 PM 08-22-2010
Here we go again, yada, yada, yada.
Maybe it'll just take another decade or so for those laws to settle in people's brains and attitudes?
Sorry you had to listen to this, momma.
Up