Poll: Should women breastfeed anywhere? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-17-2010, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...n%3BcontentAux

This was passed on by a fellow FBer... please vote and pass it on.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#2 of 17 Old 08-17-2010, 08:32 AM

It makes me sad that a society is even asking that question.
#3 of 17 Old 08-17-2010, 11:04 AM

Done. And when I voted just now, the Forces of Good were winning by a mile.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#4 of 17 Old 08-17-2010, 02:08 PM

what an awful article. Voted.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#5 of 17 Old 08-17-2010, 02:15 PM

I just barfed in my mouth a little reading the 9 places not to breastfeed part.
I voted...good to see lactivism winning!

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#6 of 17 Old 08-17-2010, 04:50 PM

We're still way ahead in the poll.

9 places...yuck. I can't believe it actually says, "some doctors worry that if a mom has an infectious illness like HIV, her breast milk can spread the infection to others. So, moms should be careful to keep breast milk off surfaces." in the restaurant section. Give me a break!
#7 of 17 Old 08-17-2010, 04:58 PM

Wow, you can't get AIDS from a toilet seat, but you can get it from a restau table if someone nursed a baby there? What bullocks.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#8 of 17 Old 08-19-2010, 10:58 PM

But one does have to give them credit for saying public restrooms are too dirty for nursing.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#9 of 17 Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 PM

Did they take off the 9 places part? I am looking all over the page and I cannot find them... They have a picture link, but that's it that I can tell. ETA: Just figured it out! I figured if I asked I would notice it...

Mama to three

#10 of 17 Old 08-23-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygir1 View Post
We're still way ahead in the poll.

9 places...yuck. I can't believe it actually says, "some doctors worry that if a mom has an infectious illness like HIV, her breast milk can spread the infection to others. So, moms should be careful to keep breast milk off surfaces." in the restaurant section. Give me a break!
What about people who are eating getting slobber on the table?

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#11 of 17 Old 08-23-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
Did they take off the 9 places part? I am looking all over the page and I cannot find them... They have a picture link, but that's it that I can tell. ETA: Just figured it out! I figured if I asked I would notice it...
Its the picture link. The only one I agreed with was the bathroom. Mothers shouldn't have to breastfeed their babies there. Everywhere else they can take their bug-eyed stares off. Its not really that shocking a thing.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#12 of 17 Old 08-23-2010, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Voted even though most of the pictures were weird at best if not offensive (like the little boy with the glasses or the enraged clergypeople???).

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#13 of 17 Old 08-23-2010, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I voted too, but that was kind of a silly article. If anything it was just to inform people of the places a woman may need to nurse so they aren't surprised when they see one.

Like my the other day. I was at a party with friends, DS is 16m, he climbed up in my lap and gave me the "milk" sign. It was short lived, because he remembered he was playing with one of the other adults and got down. Later we were talking about it (the hostess is trying to get pregnant, it was my lactivist moment ) I mentioned a little about what it is like to nurse a toddler. One friend who is a nurse's aid, and the hostess all seemed very "normal" about a toddler climbing up to nurse I was pleased a potentially very awkward situation went well I don't think she ever thought about a baby wanting to nurse in the middle of her party and that it would be totally OK if he did

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#14 of 17 Old 08-23-2010, 01:40 PM

the church one bothered me a LOT. No I wouldn't leave OR give penance. That is silly. Luckily, the church I nursed at had one of the head people who nursed her daughter til she was FIVE I had no problems nursing there at all.
#15 of 17 Old 08-23-2010, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
When I first saw the thread title I thought someone would be nuts enough to create a poll *here* asking that. I was not impressed by the CBS picture thing. That's really pretty outrageous. And I am getting increasingly irritated by the focus on 'women should nurse because it will help them lose weight!' Uhm... I'm a lot more interested in the reduction of cancer, diabetes, heart disease... ugh.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#16 of 17 Old 08-25-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
It makes me sad that a society is even asking that question.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#17 of 17 Old 08-25-2010, 06:30 PM

Those pictures are horrid and offensive. Can I say that here?

"Some doctors worry"...makes me think the writers didn't actually get any doctor to say that. Or maybe even bother to ask; it's just the opinion of the writer.

And my almost-3-year-old will tell you that milk comes out of both sides, and that it tastes like strawberries, thankyouverymuch, Dr. Mass.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page