I find this really inappropriate - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I work at Motherhood and we got this onesie in the shipment yesterday. If you can't see it, says "Don't wake me, I drank too much last night." And has a picture of two bottles. I find this inappropriate on several levels. Not only the normalization of bottle-feeding (especially at a store that calls themselves "Your breastfeeding headquarters") but also the implication of drunkenness in babies. There's also one that says "I can walk, I'm just lazy!"

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They are both inappropriate to me, as well. Very bad taste, and very anti-baby, especially from a baby store! I saw another one on there that said "Late night drinking buddy" with a bottle as well.

#3 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 11:55 AM

I have to laugh at Motherhood being "your breastfeeding headquarters," especially given their history of undermining breastfeeding mothers by selling their information to formula companies and their blatent disregard for the WHO Code-- but yes, that shirt is offensive to me on a couple levels.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 12:11 PM

ok... i admit it.... I laughed.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#5 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I have to laugh at Motherhood being "your breastfeeding headquarters," especially given their history of undermining breastfeeding mothers by selling their information to formula companies and their blatent disregard for the WHO Code-- but yes, that shirt is offensive to me on a couple levels.
Motherhood does not have formula coupons or samples in the store and customers' info is not sold to formula companies. We do have something called the Perks Program, which is voluntary and clients are asked if they want to sign up. If they do, they are sent coupons and samples from various companies including Enfamil. A list of these companies is displayed by the cash stand so the client knows what she's signing up for. Enfamil is the only formula company that is a part of the program, so any other samples received didn't come from our program.

Yes, I understand that Enfamil's samples violate the WHO code and I agree that Motherhood should remove them from the Perks Program, which I addressed with corporate (waiting to hear back). But we're certainly not giving away anyone's info without their permission, the client can be removed from the program at any time by visiting or calling a Motherhood, and the companies involved are clearly posted. Let's not make things seem worse than they actually are.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#6 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 12:35 PM

I'm sorry, but I think you are absolutely wrong on this. Motherhood's "perks" are done because they have a business relationship with Enfamil. They do not do this out of the goodness of their hearts, they do this because they are financially compensated. They are not a charity. Furthermore, there have been many, many incidents documented where the clerks have been less than forthcoming about what exactly those "perks" are and just as many documented incidentes of salesclerks making comments about how most mothers can't breastfeed and how formula is just as good. I appreciate that you work for this company and want to believe the best about them, but it doesn't change the facts.,

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
Motherhood does not have formula coupons or samples in the store and customers' info is not sold to formula companies. We do have something called the Perks Program, which is voluntary and clients are asked if they want to sign up. If they do, they are sent coupons and samples from various companies including Enfamil. A list of these companies is displayed by the cash stand so the client knows what she's signing up for. Enfamil is the only formula company that is a part of the program, so any other samples received didn't come from our program.

Yes, I understand that Enfamil's samples violate the WHO code and I agree that Motherhood should remove them from the Perks Program, which I addressed with corporate (waiting to hear back). But we're certainly not giving away anyone's info without their permission, the client can be removed from the program at any time by visiting or calling a Motherhood, and the companies involved are clearly posted. Let's not make things seem worse than they actually are.
This was not my experience. If I wanted to "just" buy something and not give all my info, I was regularly given dirty or suprised looks by staff. I absolutley loathe giving my zip code, name, phone number etc when checking out at Motherhood or else where. Just let me buy this and leave!

Op, I doubt that you will ever see a onesie with two breasts instead of bottles. Be it the onesie you speak of, or the million other bottle decorated baby items, Amerca is too prude at this juncture to acknowledge breasts as a vehicle for feeding children. (But flash boobs in the public's face to sell beer or a car, totally ok )

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#8 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 12:45 PM

I think the shirt is bad too and if I saw it there I'd certainly say something even though I know the clerks would just shrug.

As far as the "perks" program-I was just in a store last week and there were 4 women in line before me-they asked EVERY woman for their name and address but NOT ONCE did they say why they were asking for it and that samples would be sent to them. I find it sad that people don't question why they'd be asked for personal info but that's another thread

I knew why, of course, and when it was my turn I said "I don't give out my info for junk mail" and the person winked and said "good choice" under her breath.

And part of the problem is that once your info is sold to one program, it gets sold over and over down the line....

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#9 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 01:09 PM

This was years ago now, but I was once in motherhood with a big stack of stuff to buy. They almost refused to sell it to me when I wouldn't give them my personal information!
#10 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 01:17 PM

I think without the bottles it's kind of funny! (but i have a tee i made myself that says "milk milk we're just that ilk" on it, with the "milk"s right over my massive BFing boobs! So i am NOT the harbinger of good taste.
#11 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post

This is not true. It is not voluntary. The ask for your info without telling you why. Yes you do have the right to decline. However I didn't realize my first pregnancy that if I gave them my address I'd get formula sent in the mail. My second pregnancy I refused to give them my address (though I still shopped there a lot since it was the only maternity store I could afford). One day I bought something that the store ordered for me from the warehouse and had it shipped to my house (they were out of stock in my size in the store) and soon after I received a sample of formula in the mail. The only reason I gave them my address was for shipping I certainly did not ask to be signed up for any free samples/coupons. I know it was them because we had only been in the house a month and I didn't have a doctor or hospital (which would have been the other suspect), I was having the baby at home with a midwife.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#12 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
ok... i admit it.... I laughed.
I chuckled, too.

I would prefer it without the bottle images and it's not something that I would ever put on my own baby... but I do find it a wee bit funny.

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
#13 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipermuse View Post
This is not true. It is not voluntary.
I have to agree here. When I was pregnant with my first, they asked for my address and I asked why. They said that it made returning items easier, so I gave them my address, like an idiot. Next thing you know, I'm receiving mass quantities of formula ads and samples. Never received anything else (no diaper samples or coupons, nothing...just formula)

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#14 of 14 Old 08-21-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post
I have to agree here. When I was pregnant with my first, they asked for my address and I asked why. They said that it made returning items easier, so I gave them my address, like an idiot. Next thing you know, I'm receiving mass quantities of formula ads and samples. Never received anything else (no diaper samples or coupons, nothing...just formula)

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page