Lactation Station- Offensive? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 08-28-2010, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a little different, as it wasn't a fair. But our mall has a "nursing area" marked on the mall map. We went there and it was a couch and two chairs directly in front of the bathrooms - absolutely no privacy, and there was a security camera pointed directly at the seats! We kept looking, thinking "that can't be the nursing area." I expected something somewhat private. But no, that was it. I was new to nursing and very hesitant about NIP, but I nursed there. After I finished, a teenage boy sat down with his mom and sisters and told them how when he hangs out at the mall, this is where he sits!

I was so flummoxed - I couldn't imagine nursing my child with a strange 14 year old boy sitting two feet away from me. Not that they can really keep anyone who wishes to from sitting there, nor should they - I just thought it was a dumb way to pay lip service to being nursing friendly, when really I would have had more privacy and been more comfortable sitting somewhere else in the mall.
#32 of 52 Old 08-28-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishmommy View Post
I don't find nursing stations offensive per se, but I think it's weird that our society thinks we need a special place to nurse. I feel like nursing moms should neither be pampered nor hindered. They should just *be*. But is nice to be pampered.....
I agree. I wouldn't use one.
#33 of 52 Old 08-28-2010, 11:59 PM

sounds wonderful, panda refuses to nurse if shes too hot
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#34 of 52 Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
I agree. I wouldn't use one.
That's suprising to me. I haven't been to many state fairs, but I can't imagine finding a chair or bench to use at random. I suppose you could sit on the ground, but again, I think it's gravel and dirt where I've been.

It just seems bold to say you wouldn't use one. To each her own, I supposed.

Is it just that name that people are having a problem with? What if it were called the "Baby Comfort Zone" or something like a pp suggested?

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#35 of 52 Old 08-29-2010, 11:45 AM

i love lacation rooms/areas! i've never used one at a fair, but i use them at the mall all the time. i NIP everywhere too, not shy about it in the least, but if you're going to give the choice between hard, crowded mall bench/picnic table/tree/grubby food court table and a nice, cool, clean room with rocking chairs/sofas, i'm going to choose the sofa every time!

now, i have been in "mother's rooms" that are pretty grubby and uncomfortable, where the feeling really is more like they're just trying to get us out of the way, and i wouldn't go way way out of my way to find the lactation room when we just need a quick snack and change, but overall i think they're great.
#36 of 52 Old 08-29-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
That's suprising to me. I haven't been to many state fairs, but I can't imagine finding a chair or bench to use at random. I suppose you could sit on the ground, but again, I think it's gravel and dirt where I've been.

It just seems bold to say you wouldn't use one. To each her own, I supposed.

Is it just that name that people are having a problem with? What if it were called the "Baby Comfort Zone" or something like a pp suggested?
I've never been one to make a point to sit and nurse. I nurse in a carrier and keep moving, or just nurse while holding baby and walking around. Obviously, the carrier became more necessary as the child got older.

I'm just of the belief that nursing should be a normal part of life, not something we go out of our way to make a point of accommodating or anything else.

And I suppose, if the concern is heat, then yes, making a baby area makes more sense to me overall.
#37 of 52 Old 08-29-2010, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
I will say that the Indiana fair was much less air conditioned, and a place to nurse was much more needed due to the heat and lack of seating. This may have contributed to my dislike for the one in Kentucky because it was just a sectioned off area where no one could see you in a huge exposition hall. (most of the ky fair is indoors and VERY airconditioned). There are tons of benches and seating there where you could sit to nurse anywhere, but the rocking chairs were pretty nice.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#38 of 52 Old 08-30-2010, 09:10 PM

Interesting. I have never gone off in a bathroom or mother's room to nurse, even when there was one available, like at church. But I would totally take a room like that at the state fair! Getting out of the heat and dust and having a nice place to sit down to nurse and change a baby would be awesome!!!! At church I simply don't feel a need to go anywhere else. I can sit on the couch in the foyer or on the padded pews and relax a bit. Frankly, I'd be kind of scared of changing my baby in some of the bathrooms I've seen at fairgrounds. A Lactation Station sounds like a great idea to me.

Mom to Lovebug 2/10 and wife to DH.
Thrilled to debut our beautiful 2011 breastfeeding calendar! www.beautyofmothering.com
#39 of 52 Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
I'm just of the belief that nursing should be a normal part of life, not something we go out of our way to make a point of accommodating or anything else.
It seems like providing a comfortable place to sit and nurse is regarding nursing as normal, as opposed to assuming a nursing mother ought to go use the bathroom? Idk, I can't walk and nurse, so I need a place to sit and relax.

poetry-writing feminist, loving my h and my ju-ju-be
"That rug really tied the room together."
#40 of 52 Old 08-30-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundrycrisis View Post
I think they are nice as long as it's clear the location is offered as a convenience, with no expectation that mothers should nurse only there and not in other locations.

I also feel that mothers who are bottle feeding should be clearly welcomed. Someone who is bottle feeding a young infant or who chooses to hold her baby while bottle feeding may really appreciate a place where it is easy to sit down and hold the baby. Someone who is bottle feeding a baby who is easily distracted may appreciate a quiet and more private place to do it.

I am all for supporting breastfeeding in a very positive way that does not lead to anyone feeling excluded or looked down on for not breastfeeding. I think these areas would be better called "infant feeding stations" where all mothers who could use a quiet, cool place to feed their baby are clearly welcome, regardless of how they feed their infant.
What about the dad there alone with a bottlefed baby? Should he also be welcome somewhere like that where there are nursing mothers that may be there specifically because it's for MOTHERS?
#41 of 52 Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 PM

as long as they aren't telling me that's the only place to nurse I am fine with it. The fact that they are providing water (something a BF mom really needs and it's expensive at fairs) and the fact that it's air conditioned is HUGE! You are being rewarded for nursing. It's not like it's some dumpy corner of a bathroom. I would be offended by that. I guess the only way they could make it way cooler is if the outside was plastered with very large pictures of nursing babies.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#42 of 52 Old 08-31-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
What about the dad there alone with a bottlefed baby? Should he also be welcome somewhere like that where there are nursing mothers that may be there specifically because it's for MOTHERS?
I thought about that too...but I'm not sure how to balance it with wanting to provide a more private place for nursing mothers who don't feel comfortable NIP, and would feel uncomfortable with a father being right there....maybe a separate, more private corner with a curtain or screen for those mothers who really want the privacy ?

It has always bugged me (and my DH) when there are diaper decks in women's bathrooms but not in men's. I don't care for it when men are excluded from special accommodations for babies/young kids.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#43 of 52 Old 08-31-2010, 02:28 PM

I think it is awesome!

Our mall has a nursing room, but it is one chair and a lamp. I don't ever use it, I sit on the chairs outside the bathroom. Lots of traffic, but if I am with friends or DH, I am not stuck somewhere all by myself. I would rather have people to talk to. Also, the JCPenney's has a couple chairs outside the fitting rooms in front of a TV, I've nursed there as it is kind of private, even though there is nearly always a guy in the other chair, waiting on his wife/girlfriend/mother. doesn't bother me a bit. I think nursing rooms are nice to have. Not offensive at all! I haven't seen one I like better than just sitting out on comfy chair though.

I will keep my eyes peeled at this year's state fair and see if there are any accomodations. (I am in SC, so um. we'll see!)

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#44 of 52 Old 08-31-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundrycrisis View Post
I thought about that too...but I'm not sure how to balance it with wanting to provide a more private place for nursing mothers who don't feel comfortable NIP, and would feel uncomfortable with a father being right there....maybe a separate, more private corner with a curtain or screen for those mothers who really want the privacy ?

It has always bugged me (and my DH) when there are diaper decks in women's bathrooms but not in men's. I don't care for it when men are excluded from special accommodations for babies/young kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
i think a good way around that is just the way the baby room at my mall handles it... the room is open, with some couches at the front, then a sort of half partition and more couches, rocking chairs, sink and changing area. the signs on the wall as you walk in say "please be respectful of nursing mothers and babies" and the chairs tucked into the sides of the partition are the most private, so if a mom wanted it, she could easily sit there without being in view of anyone. i like the way they word it, since it doesn't ban anyone, but is clear on what the primary role of the room is. i've never seen a dad in there, but i highly doubt anyone would look askance at a dad in there feeding their baby. now, it DOES annoy me that while i was in there feeding my baby last time, about 2 or 3 women who obviously worked in the offices on that floor were in there using the microwave!
#45 of 52 Old 09-22-2010, 04:03 PM

Sounds fabulous to me!! We're in FL so sometimes nursing outside is plain uncomfortable. Disney and Sea World have awesome nursing areas. As for Universal Studios they could use some work
My Lili cannot nurse if she gets too hot or uncomfortable.
#46 of 52 Old 09-24-2010, 03:41 PM

I'm a military wife, and on our base they have a "family fun day." I had no where to nurse my little one so I awkwardly squatted under a tree but it was hotter than you know where...I would have given my arm to have had a lactation station. I just called the office that runs the event, and gave them info on a place that brings out tents and such for moms!! Thanks for giving me the motivation!!

~Marla~
CoSleeping, BabyWearing, Breastfeeding, PT Cding

🐢🐢A new little turtle is about to join our crazy part of the ocean!!!🐢🐢
lactivist.gif
#47 of 52 Old 09-25-2010, 05:15 AM

I like them, when you are in a large hot crowd a LS is just an awesome little rest for momma and baby away from the crowd. When I was at the Tucson 4th ave st fair a couple years ago I was SUPER excited to see Mom's Breastaurant, she had a LS set up with a tent, free natural diapering supplies, nursing necklaces etc. Then a few months after that Mothering Magazine did an amazing article about MB and the woman that owns it, I was completely stoked to see it in the magazine.

http://www.momsbreastaurant.org/

Mothering is now one of her sponsors

Ima Sophie + D + J =
#48 of 52 Old 09-25-2010, 05:53 PM

I think it's great, especially somewhere like the state fair, where it can be hot and there might not be somewhere nice to sit.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#49 of 52 Old 09-27-2010, 09:15 AM

I think they are great, better than women thinking they either have to 1) stay home, 2) pump and give a bottle or 3) give the baby formula. I know women who won't in any situation nurse in public and dont' want to nurse in the bathroom (don't blame them! I wouldn't) so they either don't go out, go out for only short periods of time or use a bottle when they go out and don't pump (because they have no where to pump). I think the rooms are great as long as you don't HAVE to use them unless you want to.

As for Dads, personally I like how Disneyland/Disneyworld does it. They have a nursing room with rocking chairs set up thats private. It basically has a sign that says "for nursing mothers and their children" on that room. Then they have a seperate room with couches, high chairs, tables, a tv for older children etc for fathers/older children or if you just want to give your child some food. In Disneyland the changing area is also seperate (and I love it has a faucet that you can rinse off cloth diapers in, I had no clue what it was for with my first so I asked the lady she told me). It also has little pottys for if you have a potty training toddler that isn't comfortable in the big potty. I have also nursed just about anywhere you can think of in the parks including waiting in line for rides, during parades, during flag lowering ceremony, at restruants.. I could go on.

Trust me there are times that I have WISHED for a nursing room when my girls were at that age where everything was distracting them and it was hot/crowded/hard to find someplace to sit down. When both went through that age nursing in the carrier didn't work because they would get distracted by the carrier.. It was a fun age..

As for nursing covers in the nursing rooms. I used them with my first. I had a LOT of trouble breastfeeding and basically almost had to remove half my shirt so I could get my baby properally attached. Even in a room full of women I didn't feel comfortable doing that. I think I stopped around 2 months when nursing got easier and a friend of mine at church told me not to worry about fussing with the cover she had the same equipment I did (she also introduced me to carriers! I miss her!).

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#50 of 52 Old 10-30-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishmommy View Post
I don't find nursing stations offensive per se, but I think it's weird that our society thinks we need a special place to nurse. I feel like nursing moms should neither be pampered nor hindered. They should just *be*. But is nice to be pampered.....
Maybe in an ideal world, but I work with many moms who simply won't breastfeed at all in public. So they give the baby a bottle when they go out, which of course is a slippery slope. Over time, milk supply decreases, baby starts getting more and more bottles, even when not out in public, and eventually, mom stops breastfeeding. So, that is one reason why I think tents or places like this can be a wonderful help. Plus, sometimes it's just hot and muggy and nice to have a comfortable place to sit down and nurse your baby. It can also be a tool for getting more information out to people about the benefits of breastfeeding. I think that at outdoor events especially, they are great.
#51 of 52 Old 11-14-2010, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post

Maybe in an ideal world, but I work with many moms who simply won't breastfeed at all in public. So they give the baby a bottle when they go out, which of course is a slippery slope. Over time, milk supply decreases, baby starts getting more and more bottles, even when not out in public, and eventually, mom stops breastfeeding. So, that is one reason why I think tents or places like this can be a wonderful help. Plus, sometimes it's just hot and muggy and nice to have a comfortable place to sit down and nurse your baby. It can also be a tool for getting more information out to people about the benefits of breastfeeding. I think that at outdoor events especially, they are great.

I totally agree with this. At one of the stations I visited, they handed out cards with your legal right to breastfeed listed, and "I eat at Mom's" stickers. The stickers were round and I stuck it in the bottom of the cupholder on her stroller. Ive since had at least 10 people ask me about it. I think there are probably a lot of mothers who fall down the slippery slope of bottle feeding because they dont want to nip. I wish there were more places that made moms feel comfortable.
Its funny, this thread has gone on for so long that I now wish there were lactation stations everywhere, because my baby is at the age where she gets SO distracted.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#52 of 52 Old 11-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Banned

we had one at Fryeburg Fair and I loved it. Heated (it was cold here) and with nice comfy rockers and a changing station. It was a quiet place to nurse and totally beat the outdoors on a frigid day. I don't find it offensive at all, at least they are thinking of nursing moms you know?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page