Magic Mountain Columbus Ohio and Breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-25-2010, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We were in Ohio visiting family last week and went to Magic Mountain with 2 other families, so we were a big group. My friend was breastfeeding her 11 month old and was asked to go to the bathroom to finish that they had had complaints. We declined there offer of the restroom to finish the babies feeding. They then sent a manager over and while my dh and I are talking to him my friend then finishes the feeding says she's done and the manager looks really relieved and walks away. When my friends husband found out what happened he went to speak to the manager I went with him. I had pulled up the Ohio state law on breastfeeding and from what I could tell she had to right to bf in public. The manager argued with us about how that this is private property and a family establishment and that they don't let people have sex there. That statement floored me. People are really stupid sometimes. So, friends husband gets the general managers name and number threatens a nurse in and we leave. I felt so bad for my friend having to go through that but happy we were there to stand up for her. I couldn't imagine being alone and having to deal with that while trying to nurse your baby. My friends dh called and left a message with the general manager who called him back right away and was very apologetic, sincerely upset that his employees acted that way. Said he had a wife and she nursed. Apologized to my friend and husband said he would do sensitivity training for his employees and gave them a free family day at the place. So in the end it turned out well. If anyone is in Columbus Ohio and needs to nurse their baby stop by Magic Mountain.

:
#2 of 5 Old 08-25-2010, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good for you for supporting your friend!

"The manager argued with us about how that this is private property and a family establishment and that they don't let people have sex there."

And concerning that remark: !

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#3 of 5 Old 08-26-2010, 10:29 PM

Ohio's breastfeeding law covers "privately property" such as Magic Mountain, in that it is a place of public accomadation. It does not matter that it is a "family establishment" either.

Another mother, a few years ago, was given issues about nursing her child in a fitness club. She filed a complaint with the Ohio Civil Rights Commission. Not much came of it, because she and the company settled the issue before it got very far, but the Commissions rulings to date had been in Mother's favor.
#4 of 5 Old 08-30-2010, 03:32 PM

Do you know which location it was , there are two that I know of in Columbus.
#5 of 5 Old 08-30-2010, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peightonmom View Post
Do you know which location it was , there are two that I know of in Columbus.
It was at the Polaris location.

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page