Benefits to just a little breastmilk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2010, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone have a link to the benefits of partially breastfeeding an infant/toddler?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BUMP!

I'm interested in this for probably the very same reason as you are, mama.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 08-28-2010, 05:53 AM

Partially BF in the sense of "plus complementary foods" or "plus formula"?

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

Old 08-29-2010, 12:11 AM

I have always read EBF for 6 months is the minimum where you see benefits from breastfeeding. As in EBF for less than 6m and FF infants have the same rate of illness and issues.

I would love to see a study on benefits of BFing a toddler.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 08-29-2010, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmomof4 View Post
Partially BF in the sense of "plus complementary foods" or "plus formula"?

either. as in, just a few ounces of breastmilk every day. i've always heard phrases such as -- every drop counts, or just a few tablespoons will confer immunity, etc.

Any studies to back that up?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 08-29-2010, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post
BUMP!

I'm interested in this for probably the very same reason as you are, mama.
i'm so sorry you are in the same spot. . It's so hard-- esp when you read success stories everywhere! I was venting to a friend-- she mentioned that 11 months her kiddo was only nursed twice a day. I nurse ds 3-4 times a day, he eats a ton of solids, but we still end up supplementing at night. And I'm not ready to night wean him on top of everything else.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
I have always read EBF for 6 months is the minimum where you see benefits from breastfeeding. As in EBF for less than 6m and FF infants have the same rate of illness and issues.
i don't think this is true. the latest evidence says 6 mo ebf is better than 4m but there are older studies that show there is less risk of illness with 4 months than formula. nak so can't access them right now.

op, remember that there are important reasons to bf that are not about the milk. jaw development, for one.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Do you have a source for this? Everything I've ever heard says the opposite.

OP, is this what you are looking for? It doesn't have hard stats, but it does give some of the benefits of nursing a few days through a few years.
http://nursingmoms.net/2008/11/27/wh...-wean-my-baby/

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 08-30-2010, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

OP, is this what you are looking for? It doesn't have hard stats, but it does give some of the benefits of nursing a few days through a few years.
annettemarie, thank you for that link! I guess I was looking for benefits when a kiddo is only get a little bit of breastmilk every day.

sometimes, I think, is it worth it when he's only nursing once or twice a day?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Banned

Yes it is worth it. It's worth it for the immunitites, for the antibodies, for the nutrition, for the snuggling, for the comfort.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:

What a lovely article Annettemarie... thanks. I am bookmarking it.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
Old 08-30-2010, 04:25 PM

I'm a low-supply mom also , here is one link I found:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-partial.html

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Old 08-30-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karika View Post
What a lovely article Annettemarie... thanks. I am bookmarking it.
Thanks! I'm actually not crazy about the title they gave it because I don't think it's really about weaning at all. It's about meeting moms and babies where they are and letting them know that every little drop matters.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 08-30-2010, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post
I'm a low-supply mom also , here is one link I found:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-partial.html
Thanks for this! This is just what I mean.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:55 PM
~pi

Quote:
This is incorrect. In fact, much of the scientific (epidemiological) work that has been done on breastfeeding has had fairly loose definitions of what qualifies as a 'breastfed' infant. It's fairly common in scientific studies for 'breastfed' to mean 'still breastfeeding at three months, any amount.'

That said, aside from a few particular conditions (e.g., ear infections), the outcome numbers are often not that different between the two groups -- they are statistically significant, but the effect sizes are pretty small -- and it may be that stricter definitions of breastfeeding could bump them up a little. But because so few babies are breastfed exclusively and/or are breastfed to recommended ages, it's hard to get a large enough sample to do these sorts of analyses. Only some data sets are large enough and of high enough quality to look at dose-response (i.e., is more/longer breastfeeding better than a little/shorter breastfeeding?) and so on.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 09-03-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
annettemarie, thank you for that link! I guess I was looking for benefits when a kiddo is only get a little bit of breastmilk every day.

sometimes, I think, is it worth it when he's only nursing once or twice a day?
Yes, it is.

At 11 mos, A is still getting on average 8 oz of donor milk/day. Which mostly means he's getting 16 oz every other day. He has completely forgotten how to nurse at this point, and only bites when he's on the breast (or sucks like at a straw). But since he never really got much milk from me anyway, the transition was mostly emotional for me.

My goal all along was to get him EBM until 6 mos (we managed until 7), and then some BM to a year (and we're easily going to make it, since the freezer is full and his bday is in 3 wks).

It is not an all or nothing proposition. And yes, there is an emotional aspect to all of it that makes it even harder. But if you can let go of those emotions and just think about what is best for his health/development, life will be a bit easier for you (at least, it was for me).

HTH

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 09-03-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

It is not an all or nothing proposition. And yes, there is an emotional aspect to all of it that makes it even harder. But if you can let go of those emotions and just think about what is best for his health/development, life will be a bit easier for you (at least, it was for me).

HTH

Thanks so much for your post. It's taken me a bit, but I've think I've about come to terms with it. It seems so silly-- before DS was born, I had very little interest in nursing, esp past a year. When I started working, coming home to nurse him was the best part of my day. Now it's just pain. Physical pain that almost brings me to tears. And just to have my son get frustrated that there's nothing there a few minutes later. Even my DH seems to be pushing me to stop completely, but it breaks my heart to think that these will be the last times we'll nurse together. At the same time, in 5 mos when my milk comes in, he'll be a different baby all together. *sigh*

Old 09-14-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for your post. It's taken me a bit, but I've think I've about come to terms with it. It seems so silly-- before DS was born, I had very little interest in nursing, esp past a year. When I started working, coming home to nurse him was the best part of my day. Now it's just pain. Physical pain that almost brings me to tears. And just to have my son get frustrated that there's nothing there a few minutes later. Even my DH seems to be pushing me to stop completely, but it breaks my heart to think that these will be the last times we'll nurse together. At the same time, in 5 mos when my milk comes in, he'll be a different baby all together. *sigh*
Hang in there, mama. I know exactly how you feel! I have "let go" of my lunchtime pumping session at work, but we're still nursing in the morning and at bed. At times I feel frustrated, especially since I have to give DD a bottle first, but I'm grateful for the time we have together, and even if it's only a few ounces a day, it seems to keep her going and attached to her "nummers." Nursing through pregnancy is sooo tough!!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 09-14-2010, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hang in there, mama. I know exactly how you feel! I have "let go" of my lunchtime pumping session at work, but we're still nursing in the morning and at bed. At times I feel frustrated, especially since I have to give DD a bottle first, but I'm grateful for the time we have together, and even if it's only a few ounces a day, it seems to keep her going and attached to her "nummers." Nursing through pregnancy is sooo tough!!
Thanks! it' so wonderful to hear a hang in there when it seems everyone is saying give it up.

I'm officially making colostrum and not milk; this is around the time I started leaking first pregnancy. He latches on at least once a day (in the morning). I've made my peace that no matter what happens, I'll try to get him breast milk from 16 months until he's two-- even if it's just pumped milk in a glass.

Nursing through pregnancy-- never again.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks! it' so wonderful to hear a hang in there when it seems everyone is saying give it up.

I'm officially making colostrum and not milk; this is around the time I started leaking first pregnancy. He latches on at least once a day (in the morning). I've made my peace that no matter what happens, I'll try to get him breast milk from 16 months until he's two-- even if it's just pumped milk in a glass.

Nursing through pregnancy-- never again.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:

NAK I will find it, It was either the newspaper, or Time or something like that. I think DH showed it to me.

ITA any is better than none, at any age!

DH says he remembers it was from a study in the Netherlands, he thinks.
NAK

Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 09-14-2010, 11:18 PM

I've also read that babies who are supplemented have health more similar to formula fed babies. That the gut flora from just one bottle of formula is altered for months... something about the pH of the gut, as well.

http://massbreastfeeding.org/formula/bottle.html

That is not to say that the breastmilk they do get isn't doing any good, just that the view I've encountered that any nursing will provide all of the benefits of EBF is not correct.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

Old 09-15-2010, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry my op was unclear. I am not trying to compare supplementing vs ebf.

I'm was wondering, for a child 6 mos+, what are the benefits for nursing only a little. I admit I was hoping to hear information specifically about immune system benefits, but any benefits at all would be wonderful.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post
I've also read that babies who are supplemented have health more similar to formula fed babies. That the gut flora from just one bottle of formula is altered for months... something about the pH of the gut, as well.

http://massbreastfeeding.org/formula/bottle.html

That is not to say that the breastmilk they do get isn't doing any good, just that the view I've encountered that any nursing will provide all of the benefits of EBF is not correct.
I must have missed where anyone made that claim. I thought we were comparing any breastmilk with no breastmilk at all.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I'm was wondering, for a child 6 mos+, what are the benefits for nursing only a little. I admit I was hoping to hear information specifically about immune system benefits, but any benefits at all would be wonderful.
Honestly, I don't think there is a lot of research on that. Generally, "they" are thrilled if a mom nurses at all, ecstatic if she nurses 6 weeks, bonkers with joy is she nurses 4 months, and sadly, 6m many people consider 'term'

From personal experience, I know one benefit to nursing an older baby or toddler, is when they do get the sniffles, sick or just teething, and don't feel like eating (who does when they are sick? Even adults?) they have the perfect food available to help them get healthy again. My DS is almost 17m, and nurses once during the day, before bed, and once at night (half heartily some days) but the couple of times when he's had an upset stomach he will nurse 4-5x a day.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can personally say there are huge benifits I can't say if my baby was healthier because despite some serious issues reuiring sumplementing I was able to alos countinue breastfeeding but I can tell you thousands of time were I was thrilled we never gave up..
Nothing is more soothing during a hard day than some nummy milk. The ability of me to use Breastmilk to use squirt into infected eyes hurt ears and stuff noses was gold in itself..
Its a bond that can't compare to even the snuggliest of bottle feeding and that holds its own healing IMHO.
Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 09-15-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:

One of the clearest benefits in human milk feeding is in the decrease in necrotizing enterocolitis in preterm infants. They are certainly not 6 months old, but there is clear benefit of human milk feeding. There are some papers that show a dose-related benefit as well, by comparing human milk based fortifier and cow milk based fortifier, and human milk with preterm infant formula supplementation.

Your statement seems pretty broad, and I would say that the preterm infant literature (at least) disputes it. I'm wondering if there was something specific you read regarding healthy 6 month olds that I have missed (as my interest is in preterm infants, I don't read a lot of literature about human milk feeding of older, healthy infants, if such literature exists.)

OP if you want to extrapolate this data (benefit for short durations and dose related benefit to mixing human milk and cow milk) then I would say that there is an immunologic/nutritional benefit for any human milk.

And I"m nursing a 14 month old twice a day, so I put what I believe into practice!

hope that helps,
Sandstress
Old 09-17-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:

Some of the studies I've read looked at EBF for just three months versus artificial feeding and there was still good reason to bother with it.

This is a good article we used to use when I worked at WIC:

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/html/Benefits.shtml

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 11-14-2010, 05:09 AM

Coming to this very late, but yesterday I attended a conference on lactation, where one speaker summarised the findings of several different studies showing the difference in rates of various illnesses (GI infection, otitis media, upper-respiratory infection in addition to NEC and sepsis in pre-term babies) among ebf, partially bf and non-bf children.  In every single one of these studies, the ebf group had the lowest rates of infection, pbf the next lowest, and nbf the highest.

So YES the research backs up what we can guess from our knowledge of the difference between the composition of breastmilk and formula - that every little bit of breastmilk is important, and from an immunological standpoint, partial feeding is indeed worthwhile.

(Not to mention all the other reasons why breastmilk and breastfeeding are important...and there are loads of those!)

Old 11-18-2010, 01:01 PM

And today, Charlie from Milk Matters writes on this very subject:

http://milkmatters.org.uk/2010/11/18/mixing-bottle-and-breast-it-doesnt-have-to-be-all-or-nothing/

User Tag List