Mothering Forum banner

WebMd's bfing page

3K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  RoseDuperre 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
And Gerber got bought by Nestle, too, so now Gerber is a formula company. I think everyone should write in to Web MD, but boy does this reduce what credibility they had.

#4 ·
I started to read the 'expert Q&A' but only got to this part: "I advise new moms to pace themselves in the beginning and not to nurse for long stretches, so their nipples can build up to it." and "I advise new moms to do 10- to 15-minute sessions on each breast. At the same time, I encourage them to nurse frequently -- every three to four hours or so -- to build up milk supply."

I had to stop reading.

Way to sabotage a breastfeeding relationship.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
I started to read the 'expert Q&A' but only got to this part: "I advise new moms to pace themselves in the beginning and not to nurse for long stretches, so their nipples can build up to it." and "I advise new moms to do 10- to 15-minute sessions on each breast. At the same time, I encourage them to nurse frequently -- every three to four hours or so -- to build up milk supply."

I had to stop reading.

Yeah, and did you notice that the very first question is, "What common problems do you see?" and the answer is a long list of painful-sounding things?

It gets worse. She goes on to remind people not to have visitors over because it may be hard to ask them to leave the room so you can nurse. (Implication: you need to hide and be segregated, even in your own home.) She encourages introducing a bottle between 21 and 28 days and says that she often turns to the dad and says, "Wouldn't you like a chance to feed your baby?" and that they always say yes. (Divide and conquer!) She claims that it can be very hard to bottle-feed in our society, but that her formula-fed kids turned out just fine. (How can it be "very hard" in our society when the vast majority of babies are bottle-fed at least partially?)

#8 ·
I was appalled at this

Quote:
I also refer people to La Leche League on occasion, depending what the problem is. It turns out that LLL has excellent advice for weaning an older child, which is kind of surprising
LLL is a wonderful resource for nursing moms! This makes LLL sound like a bunch of quacks, which may turn off some women.

#9 ·
Where's the link/contact information to write and complain?

How on earth is this person an expert on breastfeeding? Because she's a pediatrician? Because she formula-fed her children and they turned out fine?

#11 ·
I was also thinking about contacting the author directly. The phone number of her practice is listed, but I haven't been able to find an email address (which would be my preferred method). I wrote a review on Yelp and Insider Pages to help people deciding on a pediatrician -- although as one of WebMD's "expert" doctors, I'm sure she's booked and not accepting new patients.

My Yelp review: http://www.yelp.com/review_share/Ry4...rT7Qaa1vyz9wRw

#13 ·
Well, to be honest, most MDs aren't exactly up to par when it comes to breastfeeding information. Our society likes to view MDs as a "catch all" person to go to for advice about everything baby-associated..but in reality MDs are just that, medical doctors. The majority of their training is focused where it ought to be: on diagnosing and treating medical issues/disease. Some MDs might be well educated on other subjects, but it's not a guarantee (even for pediatricians). Lactation consultants are experts in their field and IMO should be the automatic go-to for parents who are experiencing breastfeeding difficulties. MDs might have some good advice, or might not. Ideally lactation consultants and MDs would work side by side, but from what I see that's not the case most of the time.

#14 ·
I don't think the issue here is that there's a pediatrician out there with less-than-stellar breastfeeding knowledge. The issue is that she's disseminating incorrect, harmful information. It's one thing for a ped to direct her patients to an LC and it's quite another just to tell them some piece of crap advice ... and it's still another thing to give this information not to one patient, but to the thousands of women who turn to WebMD for help. Clearly, WebMD could have found a real expert, but they didn't. Clearly, when approached to be the WebMD breastfeeding "expert," Dr. Schultz could have passed on the opportunity, acknowledging that this is not her area of expertise.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post

I had to stop reading.

OMG and you wonder why all these moms say my milk dissapeared or never came in so i COULDN'T BF seriously...bad advcie!

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by amydiane View Post
Yeah, and did you notice that the very first question is, "What common problems do you see?" and the answer is a long list of painful-sounding things?

It gets worse. She goes on to remind people not to have visitors over because it may be hard to ask them to leave the room so you can nurse. (Implication: you need to hide and be segregated, even in your own home.) She encourages introducing a bottle between 21 and 28 days and says that she often turns to the dad and says, "Wouldn't you like a chance to feed your baby?" and that they always say yes. (Divide and conquer!) She claims that it can be very hard to bottle-feed in our society, but that her formula-fed kids turned out just fine. (How can it be "very hard" in our society when the vast majority of babies are bottle-fed at least partially?)

that would NEVER work with my DH. His reply would be, "Yes, it's too bad I can't lactate!"
He told me more than once, "If I had boobs I'd feed him for you!" We chose not to do bottles...I have high lactase or whatever (my milk didn't freeze without work beforehand) and I SAH so it felt pointless to store any...

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by indie View Post
This was very carefully crafted by Nestle to sabotage breastfeeding women. I don't know how they sleep at night knowing that babies are getting sick and dying because of them.
You're right! And it's so sad! I had no idea Nestle bought Gerber...

I was literally thinking the same thing the other day about "how do they sleep at night". Having safe formula is a huge boon to our society and it should be available to all babies who need it, but to TRY TO STOP moms from nursing is disgusting.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
that would NEVER work with my DH. His reply would be, "Yes, it's too bad I can't lactate!"
He told me more than once, "If I had boobs I'd feed him for you!"
Mine too! I think it's one of his favorite perks of nursing! Not that he doesn't help, but he knows that there is an almost 100% foolproof baby-satisfier that's perfect for he.

Of course, now he's a homebirth activist too!

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamanoley View Post
"The wonderful bond you create with your baby when you breastfeed is like no other. And experts agree that breast milk is ideal for your infant. Yet, breast problems after breastfeeding are common, ranging from uneven breasts to misshapen breasts."

I'm floored!

that's not much of a "range" of problems. They pretty much stated the same problem twice!

#24 ·
My Yelp review was removed because it contained "second-hand information." I'd argue that we have first-hand information, since she's published this information publicly -- and I think it's reasonable to believe that she'd tell her patients the same thing in private as she counsels the thousands (or more) who visit WebMD. Anyway, I got two private messages flaming me for the review and I'm sure that led to the flag and removal. (One called me a "loser" for "slandering" the doctor, and the other was just anti-breastfeeding.)

It was the exact same text (I just copied & pasted) as the Insider Pages review: http://www.insiderpages.com/b/544319...-san-francisco

#25 ·
Well, to be fair, I think Yelp is supposed to be specifically for actual, firsthand patients/clients to share information. Don't get me wrong, this piece of writing infuriates me deeply; I think this doctor is beyond unethical, not to mention just plain INCORRECT; and I'm pissed that WebMD perpetuates misinformation on behalf of formula companies. But I can also understand why that isn't appropriate for Yelp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.