Rush Limbaugh speaks out against breastfeeding - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 08:34 PM
 
JessicaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 43,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
I thought he was saying MOOCH el, as in, to mooch. I never even thought of the MOO part!
Oh you might be right.

Not all those who wander are lost 
JessicaS is offline  
#32 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 09:07 PM
 
smeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Some formulas contain HFCS, and yes, that's fine to point out.

And I do think your point is a good one that gets missed sometimes-- saying statistically that A reduces the risk of B often gets interpreted as A prevents B, which are two totally different claims. It's a good reminder that we as breastfeeding advocates need to choose our words carefully!
Personally, I stay away from saying breastfeeding prevents or reduces anything. I prefer to word things as, "NOT breastfeeding increases the risk of..."

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

smeep is offline  
#33 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 09:11 PM
 
smeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4vr View Post
I admit I have taken only a brief look at the actual stats on this, but IMO BF does not so much decrease the risk of obesity as formula INCREASES the risk of obesity! It is NOT the same thing. BF is the norm for mammal infant food, deviant sources of infant mammal food carry risks (formula).
Thank you! This is what I have been saying for years! It really bothers me how someone can be so pro-breastfeeding promote it by saying it has benefits. Talking about benefits do very little good because everyone assumes it to be the BEST and therefore formula must be "just fine" or "good." No one can be the best at everything...so that kind of makes the perfect "out."

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

smeep is offline  
#34 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 09:13 PM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 41,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeep View Post
Personally, I stay away from saying breastfeeding prevents or reduces anything. I prefer to word things as, "NOT breastfeeding increases the risk of..."
That's actually a good point.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
#35 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
 
Sustainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna
That's great, I'm not saying others can't make their own decisions regarding the studies. I just don't think that not believing them by definition makes me anti BFing. That was my point. I object to the blanket statement. There are tons of other reasons to be pro BFing, this one argument doesn't negate those or the conclusion that BFing is best.
I think the remark was directed at the original anti-bf quote. I doubt any of us would say to another, "Well, you may be a lactivist in every other respect, but if you don't believe this stat you're anti-bf." I think the point was that, in this case, the quote is in the context of a generally negative attitude toward breastfeeding. There was nothing to suggest that there was any pro-bf sentiment from him. In other words, if Rush had said, "don't get me wrong, there are lots of other good reasons to consider breastfeeding important, but I just don't think this is one of them" (like you said), then I don't think the resulting comment would have been made. But in the context of this particular speaker, it does seem to me to be evidence that he is anti-bf. That's the way he comes across, from every sentence in his assertion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4vr
IMO BF does not so much decrease the risk of obesity as formula INCREASES the risk of obesity!
I think you are quite right that formula causes obesity much more than breastmilk itself prevents it. But in this society, if a baby isn't breastfed, he is generally fed formula, so in a way it almost amounts to the same thing... although I completely agree that it's more accurate to phrase it "formula increases the risk of obesity."

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeep
Personally, I stay away from saying breastfeeding prevents or reduces anything. I prefer to word things as, "NOT breastfeeding increases the risk of..."
I do agree with this. Definitely. It is more appropriate to phrase it the "increased risk" way, and we should try to phrase it in such a way as much as possible.

Quote:
No one can be the best at everything...so that kind of makes the perfect "out."
Exactly. I usually make a point of phrasing it "formula increases this risk" or "refraining from breastfeeding increases that risk," but in this thread I was responding to a particular quote and I didn't make an issue out of which way the response was worded.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Sustainer is offline  
#36 of 44 Old 09-26-2010, 09:21 PM
 
kriket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 4,785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
His argument doesn't even make sense.
Does it ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
I thought he was saying MOOCH el, as in, to mooch. I never even thought of the MOO part!
That's the way I took it also.

The only "plus" to this is the only people who listen to this man are old men. Not going to be breastfeeding any time soon

Maybe these statements will do more harm to his 'cause' than good. Like I didn't know Michele Obama was supporting breastfeeding. I like her even more now then ever. She had scored MAJOR brownie points with me for the huge garden on the white house lawn I think she is my generation's Jackie Kennedy!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

kriket is offline  
#37 of 44 Old 09-26-2010, 11:53 PM
 
Emmeline II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer View Post
But in the context of this particular speaker, it does seem to me to be evidence that he is anti-bf. That's the way he comes across, from every sentence in his assertion.
To be anti-bf would mean that he is against women bf. Though he may not be supportive of measures that mandate others accommodate breastfeeding (such as a law requiring employers to provide a room for pumping) that doesn't mean that he is against the act breastfeeding--though we tend to say here that if one is not accommodating of bf than you are against it because not accommodating it can contribute to its cessation. There have been other public figures commented on here that have actually called breastfeeding gross or obscene, or that breast are for men not babies.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Emmeline II is offline  
#38 of 44 Old 09-27-2010, 12:44 AM
 
Jenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
The only "plus" to this is the only people who listen to this man are old men. Not going to be breastfeeding any time soon
I not only was *listening* to his show when this came up, but I'm a *regular* listener.

If one was a regular listener one would know that one of Rush's soapboxes and regular talking points is how much money the US spends on researching obesity. One would know that he is a large man who has struggled with his weight. One would know that one of his goals is to prove that the only way to prevent obesity and lose weight is to eat less. He has talked a ton about how exercise doesn't cause weight loss, for example. He is all about personal responsibilty ie whether or not one breastfeeds their child, one could raise an obese kid if they fed them McDs every meal.

A pp (Catheryn?) I think nailed it straight on...
I also agree with EmmelineII that it is more about the government intrusion then the act.

Moochelle is his longstanding nickname for the President's wife. It has nothing to do with breastfeeding.

Rush will occassionally hit on topics like this. One of the reasons this one came up was because of his recent discussion of Obamacare. There is an entire section on breastfeeding in the bill. If it wasn't in the bill I doubt it would even have made a blip on his radar because he isn't a woman and he doesn't have kids.

Anyway, my guess is if he got a lot of feedback pointing out how fiscally conservative breastfeeding is he might be swayed to the "dark" side. But then again, he doesn't believe in special rights and nursing mothers are certainly that. So, maybe not. Either way, *I* don't think as a political entertainer that there is any woman (and there are many in his regular listening audience) that will make her decision to breastfeed or not based on his comments.

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   
                   
Jenne is offline  
#39 of 44 Old 09-27-2010, 09:54 AM
 
Llyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: right here
Posts: 9,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
Either way, *I* don't think as a political entertainer that there is any woman (and there are many in his regular listening audience) that will make her decision to breastfeed or not based on his comments.
Maybe not. But one of the biggest factors in whether a woman breastfeeds, and whether she continues to breastfeed past a few days or weeks, is how supportive the people around her are. Including the men in her life-- her partner, her father, her father-in-law, her brothers. And if they're listening, their attitudes are being swayed. We know already that very often when a woman gives up breastfeeding, it's because the people around her are either not knowledgeable, or not supportive, or are downright hostile about it.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Llyra is offline  
#40 of 44 Old 09-27-2010, 11:46 AM
 
Jenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Llyra- I totally see your point. Absolutely.

But overall, I guess I like to give women as a whole more credit in this regard then others sometimes do.

It was very important to me to find a partner who was positive about my breastfeeding. I completely agree that having a positive, supportive partner would be crucial for most women. I can also agree that close friends and the mother's parents/in-law (if they are around on a regular basis) being supportive could be important.

I just can't truck with the idea that what some out-of-touch hollywood actress, a tv commentator (whether on The View or the nightly news), or a political entertainer (which is relevant to this discussion) says a word about breastfeeding or formula is important.

I guess I think that having a pediatrician, Ob/Gyn, or other consistent healthcare provider with awful information is far more destructive. Or cover-up marketing disguised as "helpful" developmental stages arriving in one's mailbox. These are some of the things I can see as being detrimental to nursing. Because these are things giving direct advice to a woman from a source she probably has trust in.

But again, I think by writing to Rush and letting him know about the cost savings that some women experience by breast feeding and the social/emotional benefits of breastfeeding that is the way to, from a lactivist standpoint and imo, to approach this issue EFFECTIVELY with this particular person. He is geared towards fiscal responsibility and preservation of the family. Breastfeeding can hook in nicely, I think, with both of those ideals.

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   
                   
Jenne is offline  
#41 of 44 Old 09-30-2010, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
 
Sustainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For some reason I stopped receiving email notifications when people respond to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II
To be anti-bf would mean that he is against women bf. Though he may not be supportive of measures that mandate others accommodate breastfeeding (such as a law requiring employers to provide a room for pumping) that doesn't mean that he is against the act breastfeeding--though we tend to say here that if one is not accommodating of bf than you are against it because not accommodating it can contribute to its cessation. There have been other public figures commented on here that have actually called breastfeeding gross or obscene, or that breast are for men not babies.
I'm not saying it's the worst anti-bf comment I've ever heard, but I still say that the "are you surprised that Moochell would encourage more people to get on the teat?" comment is not breastfeeding-friendly. If anyone here in the bf forum, or even on the MDC board, said "she shouldn't promote breastfeeding to prevent obesity. That's a myth. But I'm not surprised she's trying to get people on the teat!" the people here would not be happy with the person posting.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Sustainer is offline  
#42 of 44 Old 09-30-2010, 06:23 PM
 
Jenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sustainer- I agree, people here wouldn't be pleased by that comment because it is political (ie government teat) and would, because MDC doesn't host political discussion, by against the UA. But Rush wasn't posting to the BF forum, he was have a political discussion/monolgue. That's his job. I personally, don't have a problem with the term. I don't think it has a whit to do with BF.

But again, from a lactivist point of view, I certainly think it could be beneficial to contact him with information on breastfeeding. Otherwise, it is just criticism of speech and not activism, right? Has anyone gotten a letter together to send to him? I'd be intrested!

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   
                   
Jenne is offline  
#43 of 44 Old 09-30-2010, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
 
Sustainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As I said, the reason I have a problem with his "teat" comment from a lactivist point of view is that I don't think he was referring only to "the government teat." That was obviously one of his meanings, but he was using the phrase with a double meaning. He said it in the context of a discussion of literal breastfeeding. He had been criticizing the First Lady for promoting breastfeeding.

Therefore, even if the mods and posters here didn't have a problem with it as a political comment, I believe the posters here would still find such a comment offensive from a lactivist point of view if someone were to say it here. And with good reason.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Sustainer is offline  
#44 of 44 Old 09-30-2010, 10:40 PM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 41,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am going to go ahead and close this since it seems about impossible to have a Rush Limbaugh discussion without delving into politics. I will leave it up so the info is available. If someone wants to start a thread with contact info, that would be fine, but again, it cannot be political.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off