Rush Limbaugh speaks out against breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 09-23-2010, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.care2.com/causes/womens-r...mbaugh_breast/

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#2 of 44 Old 09-23-2010, 02:58 PM

As if I didn't have enough reasons to loathe that UA violation....

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 44 Old 09-23-2010, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
His argument doesn't even make sense.

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#4 of 44 Old 09-23-2010, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Well, it is Rush. Him being against something makes me FOR it, so he can blather on all he wants.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 44 Old 09-23-2010, 05:01 PM

what's his alternative to breastfeeding? Would he rather have the government pay for each child to be formula-fed? 'cause that sounds like government spending...
#6 of 44 Old 09-23-2010, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe he thinks that only the people who can afford formula should have children.

But yeah, it's pretty bizarre phrasing to suggest that a baby being breastfed is the same sort of thing as people being on the government "teat."

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#7 of 44 Old 09-23-2010, 05:13 PM

Please keep the forum guidelines in mind when posting. This isn't a vent forum, it's an activism forum. Please find a way to turn this around to breastfeeding advocacy. Thanks!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#8 of 44 Old 09-23-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

May I suggest that everyone vote in the poll at the bottom of the article that I linked?

#9 of 44 Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Much of a UAV I know Limbaugh is, I have to say he wasn't actually speaking out against breastfeeding. He was speaking out against raising and spending *money* on behalf of simply raising "awareness", and against scientifically unprovable (and irrefutable too though he ignores that) promises that breastfeeding would be a magic bullet to solve obesity. He was being a typical, well, UAV, in the manner he said it in order to get attention, and was not at all constructive in it. He and his cohorts actually say make it easier economically for a mom to choose to stay home with an infant if you want to increase BF. And make it easier for individuals to choose healthy foods to decrease obesity. Not to spend money on programs for awareness, but give individuals incentives instead.

(Please don't ban me)
#10 of 44 Old 09-23-2010, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

His words: "Michelle Obama saying that there's evidence that breastfeeding prevents childhood obesity. Folks, this is another one of these old wives tales. There's a rich...shall I say body, rich body of scientific research that says that is a myth. That breast feeding prevents childhood obesity. It's a myth. I mean are you surprised that Moochell would encourage more people to get on the teat?"

That is an attack on breastfeeding.

#11 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer View Post
His words: "Michelle Obama saying that there's evidence that breastfeeding prevents childhood obesity. Folks, this is another one of these old wives tales. There's a rich...shall I say body, rich body of scientific research that says that is a myth. That breast feeding prevents childhood obesity. It's a myth. I mean are you surprised that Moochell would encourage more people to get on the teat?"

That is an attack on breastfeeding.
It is a play on words, he means government "teat," i.e. government entitlement programs. I agree with JamieCatheryn's summary.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#12 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
Much of a UAV I know Limbaugh is, I have to say he wasn't actually speaking out against breastfeeding. He was speaking out against raising and spending *money* on behalf of simply raising "awareness", and against scientifically unprovable (and irrefutable too though he ignores that) promises that breastfeeding would be a magic bullet to solve obesity. He was being a typical, well, UAV, in the manner he said it in order to get attention, and was not at all constructive in it. He and his cohorts actually say make it easier economically for a mom to choose to stay home with an infant if you want to increase BF. And make it easier for individuals to choose healthy foods to decrease obesity. Not to spend money on programs for awareness, but give individuals incentives instead.

(Please don't ban me)
I'm with you. I have never listened to the guy so I don't care either way, but I'm sure the way he said it was just for the point of controversy and ratings.

It's still very frustrating from a Lactivism point of view.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#13 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 12:43 PM

I'm also asking that we please stay away from politics, since MDC no longer hosts political discussions.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#14 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
It's funny though, this stuff about how you can't objectively study whether breastfeeding has a measurable benefit in whatever area since breastfeeding moms might also do other beneficial things. But since there's at least some reasonable suggestion it's worse to not BF in so many areas (obesity, IQ, immune system, allergies, and so on and so forth), one probably has an agenda to nitpick and point out the weak points in the scientific studies. Political reasons or profit reasons, or just a socially constructed bias against it.

I wonder, how important was the scientific support for breastfeeding to your original decisions to do it? Might be a good spinoff thread actually, but it is on topic to this argument of his too.
#15 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II
It is a play on words, he means government "teat," i.e. government entitlement programs.
I understand that he's also using it as a play on words, but the topic he's addressing is literal breastfeeding. If a person were a supporter of breastfeeding, that person wouldn't say "She says it reduces obesity. That's a total myth. But I'm not surprised that she's trying to get more people on the teat." His comments are both anti-welfare and anti-breastfeeding.

#16 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 03:14 PM

I agree with JamieCathryn. Listen to the show itself and you'll get the full angle of where he was coming from.
#17 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
His argument doesn't even make sense.
This was my thought too.

I voted, it is at 95% that yes he is wrong.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#18 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 05:41 PM

Saying that breastfeeding decreasing obesity is a myth is absolutely an anti-breastfeeding statement, regardless of what else he was harping on.

#19 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Saying that breastfeeding decreasing obesity is a myth is absolutely an anti-breastfeeding statement, regardless of what else he was harping on.

Really, so just because I don't believe that BFing prevents obesity means I'm anti BFing even though I did BF and support child led weaning.

I guess I'm not allowed to come to my own conclusions regarding studies and their claims.

Opinions don't always come together in neat little party line packages
#20 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 06:14 PM

I think saying that the scientific evidence doesn't show what the scientific evidence clearly shows is anti-breastfeeding. That's my opinion. There's a real shift lately in trying to reinterpret scientific evidence to make it seem as if breastfeeding isn't any better than formula feeding. It isn't about politics-- which again, we are not discussing-- but about a trend in putting down breastmilk.

#21 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 06:41 PM

#22 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'm wondering if there's a semantics issue here. Is it understood that when we talk about breastfeeding preventing obesity, we're not claiming that no breastfed baby will become obese? Simply that it reduces the risk of obesity. Is anyone on this thread denying that it reduces the risk?

(Am I allowed to point out that formula contains high fructose corn syrup?)

#23 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 06:54 PM

Some formulas contain HFCS, and yes, that's fine to point out.

And I do think your point is a good one that gets missed sometimes-- saying statistically that A reduces the risk of B often gets interpreted as A prevents B, which are two totally different claims. It's a good reminder that we as breastfeeding advocates need to choose our words carefully!

#24 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 06:58 PM

Well I wish every child was breastfed and a part of me wishes that formula required a rx to get but that is probably subject for another thread. I just have a healthy skepticism of studies in general regardless of subject matter.
#25 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Well I wish every child was breastfed and a part of me wishes that formula required a rx to get but that is probably subject for another thread. I just have a healthy skepticism of studies in general regardless of subject matter.
There have been some articles that have refuted that research but they were written by the formula counsel so I do take that with a huge big enormous grain of salt.

IMO there is enough evidence that supports those claims.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#26 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

I don't generally rely on studies myself. I place more importance on what makes sense to me. But Rush isn't simply saying that he's skeptical of the research. He's saying that breastfeeding DOES NOT prevent obesity. He's *ridiculing* Michelle Obama for promoting breastfeeding as a way of reducing childhood obesity.

#27 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer View Post
I don't generally rely on studies myself. I place more importance on what makes sense to me. But Rush isn't simply saying that he's skeptical of the research. He's saying that breastfeeding DOES NOT prevent obesity. He's *ridiculing* Michelle Obama for promoting breastfeeding as a way of reducing childhood obesity.
I don't think it is ok to call a woman "MOO" because she is talking about breastfeeding. I don't care who she is. IMO to talk about women like that is sexist and gross.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#28 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
There have been some articles that have refuted that research but they were written by the formula counsel so I do take that with a huge big enormous grain of salt.

IMO there is enough evidence that supports those claims.
That's great, I'm not saying others can't make their own decisions regarding the studies. I just don't think that not believing them by definition makes me anti BFing. That was my point. I object to the blanket statement. There are tons of other reasons to be pro BFing, this one argument doesn't negate those or the conclusion that BFing is best.
#29 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
There are many things I am for and that I support, that do not decrease obesity.

Thanks for these links! I will check them out.

That said, just bc there is a positive correlation between BF and lower obesity does not mean that BF decreases the risk of obesity... I mean there is a positive correlation between increased ice cream sales and increased drowning deaths, but ice cream does not cause drowning (um... they both happen seasonally in summer!)

I admit I have taken only a brief look at the actual stats on this, but IMO BF does not so much decrease the risk of obesity as formula INCREASES the risk of obesity! It is NOT the same thing. BF is the norm for mammal infant food, deviant sources of infant mammal food carry risks (formula). This seems like a more balanced interpretation of the data presented, including not only these recent studies, but also centuries during which childhood obesity and type 2 diabetes was almost unheard of. What are these stats like in non-human mammals NOT in captivity (and not forced to eat human garbage bc their habitats have disappeared)?

Before I decide that I definitely think BF decreases the risk of obesity, I'd want to compare groups that were neither BF nor formula fed, like babies raised on goat's or sheep's (or in some countries camel's) milk. Anecdotally, I think obesity is quite rare in these groups as well, both in childhood and adulthood.

Of course, I see raw milk (same species whenever possible) as a practically miraculous superfood. Still, before I'd say it decreases risk of a disease or disease-related tendancy, I want all the angles covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
hear hear!

Quote:
I don't think it is ok to call a woman "MOO" because she is talking about breastfeeding. I don't care who she is. IMO to talk about women like that is sexist and gross.
agreed

blessings
#30 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:

I thought he was saying MOOCH el, as in, to mooch. I never even thought of the MOO part!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page