standing up/walking while nursing? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 03-22-2004, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering.....I find when out of the house I do lots of nursing while walking (in the grocery, the mall, sams club...) sometimes ds ( 9 months 19 pounds) is in a carrier, sometimes I just hold him. I find this more convienient / discreet. ofcorse if i were at a restaurant or had a comfy option i might take it, but maybe not....anyone else nurse on th go? standing up?

maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 03-22-2004, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used to do that all the time with my daughter! It was one of our favorite ways to nurse. I still would if she wasn't 3 feet long and 28 pounds now...:LOL Now I have to sit down, and it's really only comfortable with her sitting beside me.

I remember once I was nursing her while shopping at Publix, and I got the most positive reaction. A lady with 2 little kids told me I was very talented and she wished she could do that, too.

Oh, and at Lowe's a store employee chased me down to ask if I was nursing. I was all ready for a confrontation, and she started gushing about how wonderful it was for me to do that, and how her mom nursed all her children until they were 3.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#3 of 16 Old 03-22-2004, 11:52 PM

All the time. It really helps to get things done.

#4 of 16 Old 03-23-2004, 01:56 AM

My yougest is 20 months now and if he's tired or grouchy in the grocery store or on a walk I'll just keep going. It's kinda hard to get out frozen peas from the freezer case with a 26lb baby in your arms but everyone comments on how well behaved he is!!
#5 of 16 Old 03-23-2004, 09:44 AM

Yep, count me in. I stand/walk and nurse all the time. Mainly, I do it when there are other things going on and I want to be a part of them (other people are around). I haven't nursed while shopping since DS was very little.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#6 of 16 Old 03-23-2004, 10:16 AM

when my dd was 2 ish--I had a photographer from our paper come to my house for pictures of me & dd nursing --(for a LLL article )
They ended up choosing the one when I was standing up walking her while nursing.I heard lots of comments on that !

iT FELT SO NATURAL --SHE ACTUALLY IS 5 TODAY & HAD TO NURSE WHILE I WAS STANDING UP WALKING JUST THE OTHER DAY.(she is only 32 pounds so not too heavy)

::
momma to 4
#7 of 16 Old 03-23-2004, 12:18 PM

Yep, we've done that on occasion too! Last time was because we couldn't find a shady spot to sit, and didn't want to sit on the yucky ground at the park.
#8 of 16 Old 03-23-2004, 02:35 PM

definately. it's one of Eli's favorite ways to nurse. I haven't been able to do it much recently (big belly gets in the way of the sling) but I had a really fun time with it. last year at one of dh's family's x-mas gatherings, Eli decided it was time to nurse so I stuck him in the sling and carried him around. dh's grandmother thought that it was the most adorable thing she'd seen when Eli waved 'bye bye' with a mouth full of boob. :LOL it's also one of those times when i'm really glad that Eli is a small Bean. (30", 20# at 16 months).

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#9 of 16 Old 03-23-2004, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

the more I think about it, I think I nurse ds more standing or walking than sitting, even at home. Somehow that has always been most comfortable for us....although at 19 pounds my arms are starting to get tired

#10 of 16 Old 03-24-2004, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When we're out and about we do a lot of nursing standing and walking in the sling or Kozy carrier. At home we do it lying down. The biggest thing is I can't do a standard "sit and hold baby" type position much because I have problems w/ my wrist that keep getting worse the heavier she gets.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#11 of 16 Old 03-24-2004, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
All the time! The only time I ever sit down with her is when she is going to nurse to sleep and I am at home. I bf while walking everywhere, everytime I shop downtown it seems like I always end up crossing the street in front of all these cars while nursing dd. When we were walking around Las Vegas I think dd was always nursing. My two favorites were nursing dd while standing and signing the loan papers for DH's office building, and at the health food store the other day, I was scooping flour out of the bins and nursing her:LOL

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#12 of 16 Old 03-24-2004, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Definately! I did it with ds and I do it now with dd. The sling is such a huge help with this. That way I can nurse her anywhere we go and still have my hands free.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  11yo dd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 9yo ds and 7yo ds
and 2yo ds 

#13 of 16 Old 03-24-2004, 07:32 PM

i nurse while walking if i can get her comfy in the sling...but more often i just sit down, taking advantage of the break for myself! i don't mind nursing while on the go, but i do enjoy a comfy spot if i can find one.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#14 of 16 Old 03-24-2004, 11:06 PM

Yep, I have. Last week in fact, we were grocery shopping and Braden was fussing so I went and fed him on a bench, and he fell asleep eating, but kept holding on, so I just got up and we finished shopping with him snoozing/eating the rest of the time.

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#15 of 16 Old 03-25-2004, 12:41 AM

I never did with DD. I couldn't get the hang of it. DS is now 4 1/2 months old and I am figuring it out. He is very easily distracted when nursing and this has made nursing in public quite difficult. However, lately we have had great success nursing in the sling while out and about.
#16 of 16 Old 03-25-2004, 02:20 AM

When I saw the title, I thought it was about toddlers standing/walking while they nursed! :LOL

Yep, one of the plusses of nursing is that it's so portable!

My thought earlier was that toddlers nursing while standing is normal, but how far could they walk?! Then I realized that, after nursing five children, my current toddler could probably walk around the block still attached, iykwim!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page