I forget if I'm supposed to fill out this survey... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2010, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got this survey from the "Research Institute of Mother and Child Care" today and it's basically all about whether I use formula. I remember someone in that past saying not to fill it out because it's from a formula company but I don't remember why....

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 12:17 AM

I just googled that & found this

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 11-03-2010, 01:57 AM

:Puke

That is all.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
Old 11-03-2010, 02:17 AM

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

Old 11-03-2010, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

In the trash...I'm not suprised I got it. I am a Similac "Gold Card" member. I passed on the $5.00 coupons to a friend for awhile so they thought I was buying their stuff and send me a fancy black and gold card member thing. I am not sad I passed on the coupons to someone who needed them, but I shudder to think that Similac feels I fell for their marketing and would use their stuff.

If I had to use formula, it wouldn't be a major marketer....

Old 11-03-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
In the trash...I'm not suprised I got it. I am a Similac "Gold Card" member. I passed on the $5.00 coupons to a friend for awhile so they thought I was buying their stuff and send me a fancy black and gold card member thing. I am not sad I passed on the coupons to someone who needed them, but I shudder to think that Similac feels I fell for their marketing and would use their stuff.

You probably would have gotten the card anyway. I did even though I trashed the coupons. I was planning on giving them away but just got lazy and then went through a de-cluttering phase! It's even more upsetting that I started getting that stuff about the time my miscarried baby would have been born.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 11-04-2010, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I feel like I have been filing out those surveys for 18m now

I do a lot of surveys (for pay) and can't remember what is what sometimes. I don't know what Similac will do with a survey about breastfeeding for 18m other than throw it away

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
I don't know what Similac will do with a survey about breastfeeding for 18m other than throw it away
The sad truth is that breastfeeding moms can be the most loyal customers so they are highly sought after. A mom who supplements or weans to formula in later months is more likely to be brand loyal...that is important to the company. She is also more likely to give the formula longer than most people which is one year.

That is why they pursue this stuff. No, I don't think most of us are "in danger" from their marketing, but they want to know how to get into our heads and make us use their product.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:33 PM

hum, interesting points Youngfrankenstein, I really hate marketing. None of it makes a lick of sense to me. If you don't mind the questions, why would she be brand loyal? To me if I were to supplement (18m is too late but a younger baby) all formula is kinda the same. Maybe I would have to actually be in that position to know how I would feel. I did have to supplement in the early days, I just used the freebie can, so I never bought any, and the main thing on my mind was getting OFF formula. (Luckily I had MDCs wonderful ladies to educate me before the baby which isn't always the case sadly which I'm sure is where they 'get' a lot of moms)

bah, marketing is voodoo and black magic.

Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 11-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
hum, interesting points Youngfrankenstein, I really hate marketing. None of it makes a lick of sense to me. If you don't mind the questions, why would she be brand loyal? To me if I were to supplement (18m is too late but a younger baby) all formula is kinda the same. Maybe I would have to actually be in that position to know how I would feel. I did have to supplement in the early days, I just used the freebie can, so I never bought any, and the main thing on my mind was getting OFF formula. (Luckily I had MDCs wonderful ladies to educate me before the baby which isn't always the case sadly which I'm sure is where they 'get' a lot of moms)

bah, marketing is voodoo and black magic.
Think about the products that you buy on a regular basis. The packaged stuff. Are there any particular brands you gravitate towards or prefer to buy or do you always just pick up whatever's on sale for the cheapest?

It would be the same if you were to buy formula. Probably more so since it's food for your baby and you may be more likely to gravitate towards the one that you feel is best and always buy that one.

As for the freebie can, it's not really free. It's built into the price of every other can of formula. Notice that the name brands are so much pricier than the generics? That's because they hand out freebies and the generic makers usually don't, among many other things.

IMo the info provided by a long term BFer is highly valuable to a formula company. It allows them a glimpse into the mindset that leads a person to do something for an extended period of time, in this case BFing. If they can then use that information to create a campaign that leads to the same type of long term loyalty or devotion then it's a big win for them. Especially if that campaign creates consumers that they may not have otherwise had, i.e. BFers.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:18 PM

Im glad this thread was created. I got this in the mail yesterday and was wondering if I should fill it out or not. I havent, and I wont.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 11-05-2010, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanine123 View Post
Think about the products that you buy on a regular basis. The packaged stuff. Are there any particular brands you gravitate towards or prefer to buy or do you always just pick up whatever's on sale for the cheapest?

It would be the same if you were to buy formula. Probably more so since it's food for your baby and you may be more likely to gravitate towards the one that you feel is best and always buy that one.

As for the freebie can, it's not really free. It's built into the price of every other can of formula. Notice that the name brands are so much pricier than the generics? That's because they hand out freebies and the generic makers usually don't, among many other things.

IMo the info provided by a long term BFer is highly valuable to a formula company. It allows them a glimpse into the mindset that leads a person to do something for an extended period of time, in this case BFing. If they can then use that information to create a campaign that leads to the same type of long term loyalty or devotion then it's a big win for them. Especially if that campaign creates consumers that they may not have otherwise had, i.e. BFers.
Exactly. Please don't read into what I am about to say! I don't think this about people who use formula: They find that moms who breastfeed and the use formula "pick the best" and will stick with the best as jeanine said. Like I said before, they are also more likely to give formula in the toddler years whereas most "regular" FF moms stop at 12 months.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:31 AM

They really think like this? barf.

I feel like they are barking up the wrong tree. I have literally never bought formula in my entire life. Seems like a colossal waste of time. Like selling tampons to the Men's Choir.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:49 AM

I'm glad i saw this thread - I filled out this survey about 2 months ago....and got another the other day. I was wondering why there was so many questions about formula, but just figured if you're only breastfeeding, its pretty cut and dry. Its gross to know what these companies do... Even at the hospital, though I told the nurses I was BFing - they gave me a similac back pack with nipple cream, breast pads AND formula. Seemed like they were waiting for me to have a melt down and keep some extra formula 'on hand' 

Old 11-21-2010, 05:44 AM

I got a free sample of formula and then one of those gold card coupon thingies. I sent them back with a note on the front that I would never feed that stuff to my baby. The mail person picked up the sample package without issue but left the coupon envelope for a couple of days even though I had my mailbox flag up and that was the only thing in there. He did finally take it. I don't know if he actually sent it back or just tossed it.

Receiving those in the mail was especially hurtful to me because I think they got my name and address from when I registered on Babcenter or some such website when I was pregnant in either May 2009 or July/August of this year. I lost both of those pregnancies and didn't need a reminder of that in the way of artificial baby food marketing in my mail that was congratulating me on our newest edition to the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post

You probably would have gotten the card anyway. I did even though I trashed the coupons. I was planning on giving them away but just got lazy and then went through a de-cluttering phase! It's even more upsetting that I started getting that stuff about the time my miscarried baby would have been born.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

User Tag List