Hooray for pro-nursing doctors! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-12-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had to have my gall bladder out yesterday.  My DD is 3.5 months.  My surgeon assured me I could breastfeed her no problem, immediately after surgery.  It was so wonderful to be able to tell the other 20 or so dr.'s and nurses who insisted that I COULD NOT that, "Well, Dr. so-and-so said it wasn't a problem."  It ended each and every conversation about it.  It was such a help in that stressful situation.  (I even overheard my nurses in recovery talking about me as if I was some negligent mother.)

I just wanted to share this story...

He even congratulated me on my VBAC. smile.gif  He said his wife had seven VBACs.  He was a great doctor.

#2 of 5 Old 11-12-2010, 05:04 PM

That's great! So far, I've only run into a couple of doctors (between me and DS's drs) who I felt like were really supportive of bf'ing, but it increases my trust in those two substantially.

#3 of 5 Old 11-13-2010, 06:37 PM

Awesome!!  I was pleasantly surprised a few weeks ago when we had to take me ds into urgent care b/c he was sick.  The dr we saw noticed that I was nursing him, and asked if he was still breastfeeding (it wasn't obvious, I was wearing a tank and a sweatshirt so he couldn't really tell he was nursing).  I told him he was, and the dr said "good, thats the best thing for him when he's sick.  Let him nurse as much as he wants."

I almost fell out of my chair.  My ds is 22 mo (so really not that old to be nursing still!) and everyone else has told me to just wean him already!  Grr....I'm NOT weaning my baby yet!

#4 of 5 Old 11-13-2010, 07:11 PM

Truly supportive docs make such a difference!  I wish they knew what an impact they can and do have.  I have a friend who is a family doctor.  She talks about breastfeeding with all the young women in her practice during their annual exams!  She wants them to feel confident about breastfeeding well before they get pregnant orngbiggrin.gif

#5 of 5 Old 11-15-2010, 12:52 PM

When I had my gall bladder removed, I made sure to talk to the anesthesiologist and not his nurse (his nurse was telling me I had to pump and dump).  We went over the drugs that were going to be used.  I had a copy of Medications and Mother's Milk with me and he had never seen one before.  He said he was going to get his own copy so he could make sure to work "with" his patients.  That was great. :)

Aleyna - Mom to 6 yo DS1 wild.gifRascal and DS2 Tiny born 03/24/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page