Recently aired episode of "Arthur" - Mothering Forums
Lactivism > Recently aired episode of "Arthur"
sewaneecook's Avatar sewaneecook 01:20 PM 11-19-2010

Yesterday my son watched Arthur on PBS.  Arthur's younger sister, Kate, was born.  I watched it to see how the baby feeding issue would be addressed.  Sadly, every scene where Kate was fed, it was in a bottle!  I want to write a letter to address the issue that they are educating the parents of tomorrow that feeding in an inferior way is the norm (the rough draft I have outlined is in a very "Watch Your Language" tone).  So far I have a list of people and corporations to write to, but wanted to know if anyone else should be added. 

Here's the list so far:

WGBH Educational Foundation - producer

Marc Brown - Author

Cookie Jar Entertainment - producer

Corporation fo Public Broadcasting

Chuck E. Cheese's - corporate sponsor

PBS

Georgia Public Broadcasting - local station

US Department of Education

Anyone else I should CC on this letter?  Once I get the rough draft a little less rough, I may post it here for feedback.

sewaneecook's Avatar sewaneecook 01:23 PM 11-19-2010

I have an address for everyone listed, except the US Department of Education.  Anyone know of one?

AllyRae's Avatar AllyRae 02:26 PM 11-19-2010

I'm not sure if it  helps or not, but that episode first aired in 1996, so in the 14 years since the episode aired, PBS might have gotten more nursing friendly (although since I don't watch PBS I guess I don't know)...  Maybe someone who watches more PBS can chime in.  They can't change baby Kate's bottle feeding though since the show stopped producing new episodes 2 years ago...but hopefully your letters reach someone in charge of new shows on PBS.

sewaneecook's Avatar sewaneecook 03:24 PM 11-19-2010

I realize that I can't change that particular episode, but I feel like it needs to be addressed for future shows that are made by PBS.  I remember breastfeeding being on Sesame Street when I was younger (was it Maria's baby?) and it was also addressed on Mr. Rogers.  It seems that something has changed in the programming since those shows I saw growing up.  Most of the people I'm sending the letter to are not just associated with the Arthur show, but PBS on a larger scale. 

Marsupialmom's Avatar Marsupialmom 04:31 PM 11-19-2010

just so you are aware, I saw that show when my son was little.  He is 16.  

I don't think it is a battle you can win. 

sewaneecook's Avatar sewaneecook 04:42 PM 11-19-2010

I was hoping to change future programming, so that they are aware it really does matter. 

xelakann's Avatar xelakann 12:04 AM 12-02-2010

On a side note, I was watching an episode of Pingu (also a PBS show) and the mama penguin had a baby penguin and I was bummed that the mom bottle fed the baby until I remembered that penguins don't nurse babies in the wild.nut.gif

changingseasons's Avatar changingseasons 12:21 AM 12-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelakann View Post

On a side note, I was watching an episode of Pingu (also a PBS show) and the mama penguin had a baby penguin and I was bummed that the mom bottle fed the baby until I remembered that penguins don't nurse babies in the wild.nut.gif

Pretty sure penguins don't bottle feed in the wild either. wink1.gif
xelakann's Avatar xelakann 02:41 PM 12-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelakann View Post

Pretty sure penguins don't bottle feed in the wild either. wink1.gif

true, very true. They also don't knit and make snowmen either :-)

Up