Article with doctor recommending 1 daily bottle of formula for breastfed babies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-30-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know if this has already been posted or not, but here's more research saying that a cow milk allergy could be avoided if a baby is given cow milk once a day from birth.  I see that advice as possibly having a bad effect on a new mom's supply.

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/cows-milk-may-reduce-baby-milk-intolerance-100901-0301/

Mom to a 2.5 girlie and a new one in late February/early March
#2 of 9 Old 11-30-2010, 06:54 PM

I think it's more sad that these researchers believe it is so important to avoid cows milk allergy that they would be willing to sacrifice other benefits of breastfeeding, especially when only a small percentage of the population has this issue in the first place.  Cows milk isn't a natural part of the human diet in the first place, for people of any age.  Does it really matter if a child is allergic to milk later on? 

bluefaery and cocoanib like this.
#3 of 9 Old 11-30-2010, 07:15 PM

Why couldn't the mother just consume milk and continue to breastfeed? My second LO was allergic to milk (and more) and would  definitely react to my consumption of dairy.

This seems like bad advice to me.

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#4 of 9 Old 11-30-2010, 07:15 PM

Interesting.  I've been reading various blog posts trying to tear the study apart, but honestly their arguments are a bit thin.

Personally, I don't think that the small chance of a milk allergy is worth introducing a bottle of formula a day over.  And I don't think it's responsible advice at all.

I do have to admit, however, that I'm glad that research into food allergies seems to be picking up speed.  I know so many kids who are affected by life threatening allergies, and really scientists know remarkably little about it.  It's scary how little is understood about something that could so easily kill certain people!  I think that a lot of the allergy studies that are being conducted have to do with the timing of introduction.  I hope that this study isn't used to push formula, but I also hope that it's used to add to our understanding about food allergies.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#5 of 9 Old 11-30-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kythe View Post

I think it's more sad that these researchers believe it is so important to avoid cows milk allergy that they would be willing to sacrifice other benefits of breastfeeding, especially when only a small percentage of the population has this issue in the first place.  Cows milk isn't a natural part of the human diet in the first place, for people of any age.  Does it really matter if a child is allergic to milk later on? 

This is 100% right!  Why are we so possessed to drink the milk of THIS particular mammal?   to the detriment , often times...of drinking the milk we are supposed to drink! 

cocoanib likes this.

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#6 of 9 Old 11-30-2010, 07:20 PM

I went to look for the study that shows the average age for outgrowing milk allergy is much later than age two and found this from 2009...

In addition, children with milk allergy who ever received baby formula during infancy were also less likely to outgrow milk allergy.

http://allergies.about.com/od/fa1/f/outgrowmilk.htm

I think I'll just keep on breastfeeding and ignore these studies!!!  Sheepish.gif

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#7 of 9 Old 12-01-2010, 06:04 AM

I think this is the same study that was discussed here a while ago.  If I'm right, the lead author is sponsored by the Dairy Board (or equivalent, in Israel I think), and the research was less than adequate.

#8 of 9 Old 12-01-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post

I think this is the same study that was discussed here a while ago.  If I'm right, the lead author is sponsored by the Dairy Board (or equivalent, in Israel I think), and the research was less than adequate.

Well, any time there is research on a subject there must be several studies done with the same result for the scientific community really take it seriously. There are no perfect studies, so multiple and extended research are expected before medical organizations will begin to recommend changes.  If you notice, this looks like a news article, not a publication of new recommended guidelines from a medical organization.

What bothers me is the bias written into the article.  Look at this quote, "Some lactation experts still encourage strict breast-feeding for infants". In fact, all lactation experts still encourage strict breast-feeding.  But the way that it is worded, it makes it sound like there are still a few people living in the dark ages who just haven't accepted these new facts.  Really, the only people in this article who *are* recommending change in infant feeding habits are those who conducted the research.  No independent source is being quoted as supporting this idea. 

#9 of 9 Old 12-01-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhendoula View Post

Quote:

This is 100% right!  Why are we so possessed to drink the milk of THIS particular mammal?   to the detriment , often times...of drinking the milk we are supposed to drink! 

Thank You!

It makes no since to me for a mother to possibly mess up her supply and cause detriment to babys stomach all so that they can be alright consuming dairy. Other animals milk in our diet is uneccessary.

Quote:

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page