#1 of 12 Old 12-09-2010, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What do you think of this?

Similac has introduced a new product called 'Similac Mom'

http://similac.ca/en/products/similac_mom/

I have many thoughts on this:

1) My first knee-jerk reaction was that "wow, the formula companies will do anything to make money"

2)If they market this to BFing moms, maybe they won't sabatoge so many BFing relationships!

3) The product, although it's first ingredients are water & sugar, is no different than Ensure or other nutrition or diet shakes. 

4) I hope that if they market this to pregnant women, they won't use it as a vehicle to then convince them to switch/choose formula when the baby is born

5)If the company would stick to marketing this kind of product, and end their unethical marketing of formula to vulnerable moms in hospitals, we'd be in a much better place.

What's your reaction?

#2 of 12 Old 12-09-2010, 11:22 AM

My reaction is that most women who want to breastfeed fail to establish doing so and end up FF and this company is relying on brand-recognition and brand-loyalty (borne in this case out of trust, "they looked after me when i was PG, so their milk will be the best to look after my baby now") to net as many of those motherbabe's as possible.

Sorry, the baby posted for me!

The mere existence of formula is enough to make women doubt their ability to feed their babies, this is just another flame in the fire.  I don't think the product is "bad" but it it does attempt to help the brand reach the untapped markets (pregnant women and lactating women) their formula doesn't.

This is an unnecessary product which has no real benefits for the women (one could easily whizz up a smoothie with similar properties and fresher vitamins) and is mainly to build a product reliance between the similar company and the consumer.  The phrase "people will buy anything you tell them they need" comes to mind.

PatioGardener and SashaBreeze like this.
#3 of 12 Old 12-09-2010, 11:30 AM

Brilliant marketing idea.  Get the parent to identify with the brand before birth even.  Familiarity=comfort.  Now the BFing moms have a "need" for them too. 

Personally, I strongly dislike it and wish they couldn't make/market it.  But I have to give them props for the brilliance of opening themselves up to making even more money.

Tjej

PatioGardener likes this.
#4 of 12 Old 12-09-2010, 11:43 AM

SLICK.

I wish I had thought of it.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#5 of 12 Old 12-11-2010, 07:53 AM

I do like the idea of a liquid supplement for pregnancy women.  With my first pregnancy, I threw up whenever I tried to swallow pills, so I just stopped taking vitamin supplements.  I know that wasn't my best move, I became very anemic.  I eventually started drinking Ensure just because I could get it down, but it lacks folic acid pregnant women need.  There just aren't any liquid supplements on the market geared specifically for pregnant women.

This is good in concept, but it isn't much of a supplement.  Look at the ingredients:  only 10% of daily value for folic acid, 13% iron, etc for pregnancy.  You could just as well drink Ensure or Boost or some other brand if you need a supplement.  This is very well-marketed, but it isn't a superior product for pregnant (and breastfeeding) women.

violet_ likes this.
#6 of 12 Old 12-14-2010, 11:15 AM

My first thought was ewww gross....wonder if there is beetle larvae in there, too!

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#7 of 12 Old 12-19-2010, 01:52 PM

A liquid vitamin or supplement would be one thing, but this is a la Ensure or Pedisure. Where if you don't/won't/can't eat regular food, you can drink one of these and be assured you are getting "complete nutrition"

I loath these meal replacement things. If adults want to drink them, whatever, but the ones marketed to children are the worst. Why learn good eating habits when you can drink chocolate milk all day?

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#8 of 12 Old 12-19-2010, 08:44 PM
myk

i saw that in stores and was like.. well now i've seen everything. i'll stick to my high protein boost if i think i need a little something other than real FOOD.

January 2011
#9 of 12 Old 12-20-2010, 03:15 PM

Wow, and I thought it was bad when Enfamil came out with the DHA pills for mom. I would never in a million years drink a product like that. Gross. Obviously these formula companies have NO shame what so ever.

Funny how you don't see breastfeeding support books in the formula isle.

#10 of 12 Old 12-22-2010, 04:45 PM

A well woman has enough sense and confidence to eat sensibly and nourish her babe.  Without  Similac's help.  

Blessed mama to four, and expecting a boy in March 2013!!!!  chicken3.gif
homeschool.gif   cd.gif      fly-by-nursing1.gif

#11 of 12 Old 12-22-2010, 04:59 PM

Even if I didn't think it was totally evil (albeit smooth) there is no way I would ever touch that stuff. Formula makes me gag and that's what I would imagine in that bottle.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#12 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello everyone! I am going to jump in here and remind everyone to please keep the Lactivism guidelines (posted at the top of the forum) in mind when posting. The purpose of this forum is breastfeeding advocacy. It is not appropriate here or anywhere else on MDC to make fun of different types of mothers, Please feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns. smile.gif

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page