Breastfeeding Policy - Alberta Art Gallery - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-23-2010, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/health/Gallery+Alberta+apologizes+changes+breastfeeding+policy/4015453/story.html

Thought it might interest some people :-)!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-23-2010, 05:59 AM

Great news - the best part was that the reply came so quickly. 

Kuddos to Jill Janicki and her husband for taking the issue to the Executive Director, and for the gallery for quickly changing their policy to reflect both normal human behaviour and the law.

winner.jpg Almost makes me want to take a trip to Edmonton to enjoy the gallery with my often hungry 8 month old! winner.jpg

#3 of 8 Old 12-23-2010, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think this is one of the cases where allowing breastfeeding inside the room is wrong. The policy is for all food and drink. It has nothing to do with discrimination against mothers and babies breastfeeding.  How hard could it be to go sit in the hallway?

What I can see going wrong is breastmilk squirting on the paintings.

I don't know what the set-up is, but my milk could go for a few feet on letdown, lol.

Decluttering 500/2010
#4 of 8 Old 12-23-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post

I think this is one of the cases where allowing breastfeeding inside the room is wrong. The policy is for all food and drink. It has nothing to do with discrimination against mothers and babies breastfeeding.  How hard could it be to go sit in the hallway?

I don't know what the set-up is, but my milk could go for a few feet on letdown, lol.

Here in Canada, breastfeeding is not considered food nor drink, but a human right.  Breastfeeding may happen anywhere and everywhere baby and mother have the right to be.  In the pool?  Not a problem.  Museum?  Go right ahead!  Doctor's office? Shopping mall?  Bridal shop?  Restaurant (even where you can't bring your own food)?  Yup!

If we were to limit breastfeeding based on a worry that milk might squirt, then we may as well limit all humans - have you ever seen how far a sneeze goes? winky.gif

winner.jpg Anywhere, Anytime!

Happeesupermom likes this.
#5 of 8 Old 12-23-2010, 04:51 PM

I am a Canadian and all for breastfeeding. Breast milk is a nutritious liquid, and therefore a food and/or a drink.

What that article linked did not mention, is that there was a resting area right outside the door to that room in the hallway and that is was the closest location they gave to her suitable for nursing. It was a few steps away.

They did not tell her anything offensive like "feed your spawn in the washroom".

Even if she had a newborn, the baby would have been fine to wait a few steps. Who hasn't let thier baby/toddler wait a few seconds (or more) to feed when there was some reason mom could not immediately produce a breast? 

No food or drink was the policy, and I personally think this woman was looking for the response she got, so that she could go public. I think her response was silly.

Decluttering 500/2010
#6 of 8 Old 12-23-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post

I humbly disagree, BunnySlippers. shy.gif  If the initial concern was about milk getting onto the paintings, she had that taken care of... she was wearing a nursing cover.

Happily-married, bfinfant.gifing, cd.gifing mother-of-FIVE (G18, G16, B9, B2, Bnb) Supermom!
#7 of 8 Old 12-23-2010, 05:47 PM

But I don't/didn't cover-up, many mothers do not. If there was a sign saying "nursing mothers must cover-up when breastfeeding in this room" can you imagine the outcry then?

Decluttering 500/2010
#8 of 8 Old 12-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Just a reminder, ladies, that we do not wish to host discussion of the comments on a news piece.  Discussion of the new piece itself is fine, but discussion of the comments is not okay. :)  Thank you for understanding!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page